Just bought a 2000 Montero Endeavor

pinkerpv

Old new to me 2000 Endeavor has a new engine and runs great. Trying to determine what tires and maybe rims to put on it. Don't know the gearing in front and rear diffs. Currently have 265x70x15s. Got all the info off data plates but can't tell what info is related to diffs. Want to get good hiway milage with some off road capability. So what I am really asking for help with is the diffs. How can I determine the gear ratio from data plates. I have read on posts that some data plates have the ratio listed.

tarditi

Explorer
You'll likey want to drain all the fluids and inspect everything before venturing out, but here is a good video to determine your gear ratio:

Reactions: lev

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Old new to me 2000 Endeavor has a new engine and runs great. Trying to determine what tires and maybe rims to put on it. Don't know the gearing in front and rear diffs. Currently have 265x70x15s. Got all the info off data plates but can't tell what info is related to diffs. Want to get good hiway milage with some off road capability. So what I am really asking for help with is the diffs. How can I determine the gear ratio from data plates. I have read on posts that some data plates have the ratio listed.

The differential ratio is engraved on that big shiny data plate on the firewall and is 4.2 as is the case with every 97-00 Montero. As for tires you can run 33x10.50r15 on stock wheels with zero lift and zero rubbing, the ko2's should yield the best mpg and capability unless you are one of those who somehow think hitting every mud hole is cool. There are many threads discussing these questions and can be found via google or forum search.

Reactions: lev

raysobi

Adventurer

I wouldn’t go near 33 on 4.2. I had 4.2 and it is super sluggish. Some people are ok with it but not me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree, it is quite the dog with 33's and stock 4.2 gearing.

Since it's a 2000, you might want to look into throwing a rear locker and doing gears at the same time. (4.9 off a Montero Sport or PajEvo is selling some 4.63's)

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I have had 33x10.50's on our 98 for over 2 years and it was okay. If the OP wants 4.63 gears and a locker I can get him some, hardest thing to find is the driver side axle shaft out of the 97-99 locked axle.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Besides the last 200 miles, every mile of ownership of my 98 has been 33s on stock gears. It sucks. Bad.

It IS 100% fine around town. Hate it everywhere else. It is good for making the wife's FJ80 feel like a muscle car though.

PacS14

Adventurer
I only had stock size tires for a little bit,so not much to compare, but I had 33" tires for the longest and I don't really feel they are such a drag, I can speed up just fine, and I can pass within reason other cars on the freeway. Will I ever look into 4.9? Already on my to-do list but kind of far from the top to be honest.

pinkerpv

Thanks for all the replies. I found the info on the diffs on the info from the data plate. 4.29 as everyone said. The Montero is going to be used to commute from one home to another and to hunting land. Highway driving will be 50% and rough road and off road will be the other. Not looking to do a lot of exploring, just traverse my own land and maybe a little other land. So I am not going to set it up like some of the beautiful rigs I've seen here on the forum. May put a winch on it but will have to have new tires. Will stay with the 15 in rims I guess. Probably the biggest tire I would consider would be 31s or maybe 33s. Although I have looked at charts for some gear ratios vs tire size and they all show larger tires for for the best milage. I know, I know; why by a montero endeavor if concerned with milage. Just the 70 mile commute between houses and land.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
33s will likely decrease mileage vs stock. Reason being that the truck doesn't have the power to easily push those tires around at highway speeds with the stock gears, so the load is high enough that it works harder, and therefor drinks more gas to keep going.

31s would be a nice small bump for an otherwise stock truck for your uses, imo. I briefly shopped around for another one for my wife and we had decided on a basic OME suspension and 31 or 32" tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles