Firearms and Tribal Indian Land ?

Bravo30

Planning to leave for Arizona in about a month for an extended road trip. We have PA and Florida CCW's which will get us through the states we want to travel with exception of a few. We will be carrying Glocks and 1 rifle each. Not decided on the rifles yet but most likely will be 1 bolt gun and 1 semi auto. ideally i would like to bring my FAL and Yugo M48.

do Indian Reservations recognize federal law? mainly 18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms. and what about state law ? (florida CCW).

thank you for your time,

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Planning to leave for Arizona in about a month for an extended road trip. We have PA and Florida CCW's which will get us through the states we want to travel with exception of a few. We will be carrying Glocks and 1 rifle each. Not decided on the rifles yet but most likely will be 1 bolt gun and 1 semi auto. ideally i would like to bring my FAL and Yugo M48.

do Indian Reservations recognize federal law? mainly 18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms. and what about state law ? (florida CCW).

thank you for your time,

Maybe you could contact them directly? Another thing about guns, if they are stowed away in a vehicle someone needs a good reason to go looking for them.

Bravo30

Maybe you could contact them directly? Another thing about guns, if they are stowed away in a vehicle someone needs a good reason to go looking for them.

were making some calls know. its tough to identify which reservtions we will be passing through as we dont really have an itinerary for once we get to Arizona. Our plan as of now is to drive in every direction soaking up as much as we can.

about the guns, your right as far as the rifles. pistols on our person is a bit tougher. around here when pulled over i present both my DL an CCW to the officer and go from there whether they ask or not. we might have to make that information need to know basis while away.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Are you intending to shoot on tribal lands or simply drive through via a public access road? We hunt elk on public forest service land just above tribal land and drive through tribal land all the time, as long as folks stay on the public access road there aren't any issues and the tribal police have no legal grounds to stop you.

Bravo30

Are you intending to shoot on tribal lands or simply drive through via a public access road? .

NO ! ...we have no intention of going anywhere near tribal land just worried we might end up on it through our travels thats all. We plan on doing some dispersed camping while out there so well have to pay attention to where we pull over... do diligence etc etc.

mallthus

Pretty good at some stuff
Generally speaking, concealed carry is essentially prohibited for non-members on most tribal lands. Some tribes have some reciprocity for state CCW, some restrict where one can CC, some outright prohibit CC, and a few outright prohibit non-tribe members from even possessing any sort of firearm on tribal land (Navajo).

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/tribal_law_ccw.pdf

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
NO ! ...we have no intention of going anywhere near tribal land just worried we might end up on it through our travels thats all. We plan on doing some dispersed camping while out there so well have to pay attention to where we pull over... do diligence etc etc.

So grab a map and educate yourself, or even download the OnXmaps property maps https://www.onxmaps.com/ There really is no excuse to not know where you are at with all of the resources at your fingertips.

RyanT

were making some calls know. its tough to identify which reservtions we will be passing through as we dont really have an itinerary for once we get to Arizona. Our plan as of now is to drive in every direction soaking up as much as we can.

about the guns, your right as far as the rifles. pistols on our person is a bit tougher. around here when pulled over i present both my DL an CCW to the officer and go from there whether they ask or not. we might have to make that information need to know basis while away.

Not sure if you're calling the reservations directly, but if you get in touch with the states, you could probably just explain the general route you're thinking about taking. They should be able to tell you pretty much right off what kind of reciprocity there is... (or any other helpful tips)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles