Recommend Entry-Level Mtn Bike?

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
GROOOOOAAAAAAN ...

I just went for a ride on the trail down by the river all the way to the base of Chickies Hill, and then back home through Marietta. The river trail may not have been the best idea - it was recently flooded, and I had to ride waving a web stick out in front of me much of the way. Every once in a while I had to climb through fallen trees. It was hot, humid, and the mosquitoes were bad.

By the time I got home, I was just like ... GROOOOOAAAAAAN ...

I don't want to be out of shape! I don't want to exercise! Maybe I'll just succumb to a life of sloth and lethargy in front of the computer screen. :(

Scott Brady

Founder
Iron Horse and Giant are great values. I would also recommend going with a hard tail to save $$$. $600 can get you a nice bike from those companies.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
cshontz said:
GROOOOOAAAAAAN ...

I just went for a ride on the trail down by the river all the way to the base of Chickies Hill, and then back home through Marietta. The river trail may not have been the best idea - it was recently flooded, and I had to ride waving a web stick out in front of me much of the way. Every once in a while I had to climb through fallen trees. It was hot, humid, and the mosquitoes were bad.

By the time I got home, I was just like ... GROOOOOAAAAAAN ...

I don't want to be out of shape! I don't want to exercise! Maybe I'll just succumb to a life of sloth and lethargy in front of the computer screen. :(

Chris, sounds like your biking along the Schuylkill. My bud bikes that 3-4 times per week. PM Cowboy here....he's not running an expensive bike and seems fine with it.

At some point i'll be picking up a cheap bike just for some exercise also.

xjclassic

cshontz said:
GROOOOOAAAAAAN ...

I just went for a ride on the trail down by the river all the way to the base of Chickies Hill, and then back home through Marietta. The river trail may not have been the best idea - it was recently flooded, and I had to ride waving a web stick out in front of me much of the way. Every once in a while I had to climb through fallen trees. It was hot, humid, and the mosquitoes were bad

... you need to take the short drive across the river and hit up Rocky Ridge (Galleria exit, Mt. Zion Rd., take a right go to the top of the hill, take a right at park entrance, follow it all the way until the road ends at the park), trails are always maintained and well marked. No one takes care of that trail along the river...atleast not very well.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
xjclassic said:
... you need to take the short drive across the river and hit up Rocky Ridge (Galleria exit, Mt. Zion Rd., take a right go to the top of the hill, take a right at park entrance, follow it all the way until the road ends at the park), trails are always maintained and well marked. No one takes care of that trail along the river...atleast not very well.

I'm familiar with Rocky Ridge, although I've never been there to go biking. That is a really good idea! Thanks for the suggestion! I'll go do that as soon as its not 1,000,000 degrees out. :)

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
On the other end of the spectrum, I just finished assembling a Columbia Trailhead for which I paid a whopping $120 shipped from Amazon.

Not a super bike, definitely made in China. But Shimano components and name brand tires/shifters/etc are plenty fine for my girlie to ride on improved trails.

I think a lot of the reason people don't get into many hobbies is a perceived entry price that is a lot higher than reality.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
My old bike was a Giant Rainier, fantastic bike for the price, good components, and I beat the snot out of it and never had a single issue. I'm sure you can pick up a new one for around $600.

Bike009.jpg

Bike010.jpg

Bike011.jpg

Bike008.jpg

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Kermit said:
I found this thread a bit late...but..Kona makes a slew of bikes...alot at your price point.

http://www.konaworld.com/

I might be a hyprocrit saying this, but, the INTERNET is killing your local bike shop....support your neighbor...he likes to pay his mortgage. :D

http://abecycling.com/page.cfm?PageID=166

I like Kona :coffeedrink:

And the internet is making it hard on independent bike shops... I highly recommend San Clemente Cyclery if anyone needs anything in OC...
:bowdown:

http://www.socalmtb.com/shops/openshop.cgi?loc=socal&lbs=oc__84

the best advice ive seen on this thread is to keep the bike you have and ride the piss out of it! (and possibly yourself)

then figure your budget and see if you really need or just want to upgrade.

i got back in shape by riding the mtb as well, and my girlfriend learned last year on a 10+ year old, 35#+ yellow beast of a bike. it was heavy, and wouldnt win any beauty contests, and it was tall and hard to dismount in a hurry, but the geometry was sound, the bike was solid, it could take a hard crash, it wasnt expensive, and it was a great learning/training and even citizen racing on beginning and even intermediate terrain. she's riding a fuji team ht now, with a manitou sx ti fork...there's nothing wrong with older components, and they're less expensive than new stuff.

where are you in relation to laurel highlands (off laurel mountain road)? that place is a BLAST. trails for every level of rider, beautiful scenery, extremely technical stuff if you're in to that, cruisers if youre not. the guys at speedgoat are really helpful and knowledgable since theyre in the area.

whatever you eventually do, dont just put together a budget and then go buy the blingingest dual squishy you can afford. decide what kind of riding youll be doing--double track, xc adventures, bike paths, gravel paths, commuting, technical trails, trials, dh, free--and then look at the most reliable frame, headset, bar & stem, seat, fork, brakes, derailleurs, cranks, hubs, rims and tires, all in that order, which you can afford and are appropriate to your riding. you can even get a hardtail frame designed for a suspension fork, and a suspension-corrected rigid fork, and ride rigid for a while. it does wonders for your technique and tracking, and you'll be amazed at what you can do when you finally upgrade to a suspension fork. for most riding, you dont need rear suspension, you need good technique, and starting with suspension makes it harder to learn good technique. get the suspension later...if youre amazed at what you can do with a good suspension fork after riding rigid, you'll be really psyched to find the kind of drops, hits and bumps you can point-n-shoot with f/s.

my ass always hurts after the first few rides. keep 'em short, and get a saddle with a cutout in the middle for the boys. regardless what else you have in mind, do your future sex life a favor and get a good comfy seat with a cutout!

dave, it's good to see a set of kookas still in service! mine were the old cnc milled variety and finally broke last year (ten years!) :(. i upgraded to hones...they're nice but i miss the kookas, in a purple/blue mix with a red spider...i kept the busted kookas, theyre too beautiful to ditch.

also fwiw you can usually find xtr rear derailleurs on ebay for about 30-60 bucks. definately support your locals, as when it breaks youll take it to them if you cant fix it, but dont pass on deals like that.

places like universal cycles and speedgoat will let you build a bike on their website, then they put it together and send it to you. speedgoat is sorta local to you, at least theyre in PA, and theyre great guys. almost all the online stores have a brick/mortar storefront, they are local but can drop-ship or ship from their location, and shipping on a complete bike is less than sales tax on a complete bike. the locals also know the best places to ride and may be willing to show n' tell their favorite trails, or may have regular organized rides you can join, so if youre fat and outta shape like you and me you'll have others to help push you.

for the record, i'm riding a ten year old steel hardtail frame and headset, and until recently it had a 10yo stem and narrow bars, bb and cranks. it was recently appraised for an insurance claim (ups dropped it and busted a cromo fork and damaged the front hydro brake...idiots...) at thirty-five...so hardtail does not mean cheap, it only means a different style of riding.

stop reading this and go play :D.

-sean

Last edited:

whistler110

Observer
Don't bother upgrading your bike, it's not set up to take suspension or disc brakes. Ride it until you get a better idea of what you want and then purchase something. Keep a look out for used bikes, you can find some amazing deals.

The bike world is like the computer world right now and 1-2 year old equipement is not worth much.

Modern components are also much better then they were 5 years ago.

Stay away from Chinese bikes. Taiwan knows how to build a bike and China is just starting out so their quality isn't great yet.

Check out some Mountain Bike forums to find out what's happening and make sure you buy a bike that fits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier