Recommend Entry-Level Mtn Bike?

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Can anyone recommend a more affordable, yet quality, entry-level mountain bike?

I'm not in good shape anymore, and I need to be more physically active. I think cycling is something that I might enjoy. However, I need a good, comfortable bike that would allow me to be at least a little daring on technical terrain. I used to be quite the bicyclist in my youth.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Can you give us an idea of budget? Affordable can cover a pretty broad range. My gut feeling is try to find a good shop in your area and look for a full-suspension bike in the $1500 range. I hesitate to make specific recommendations, but the Specialized Stumpjumper FS Comp is a nice bike at a reasonable price. You should start to see this season's bikes go on sale in the next month or so and the savings can be a couple hundred dollars.

I have an old hard tail and my dad and sister have new full suspension bikes. Going up on an easy trail we are about equal. On anything remotely technical (meaning you would think twice before driving your Porsche up it -- yes I'm a wuss) either going up or down I'm working very hard to maintain balance and stay upright and they are just enjoying the view. On any single track trail, my 62-year-old dad drops me like a bad habbit going up hill. Going down he is usually waiting 10-15 min. (meaning his speed is roughly 2x - 4x mine). This was not the case on his older titanium hard tail.

There are lots of good options from many companies including Specialized, Giant, Fisher. Even bikes that seem identically spec'd may ride very differently, so see what feels good to you. 3"-4" of travel is probably sufficient unless you are looking for a DH bike or something to jump off of things. Check out the reviews at www.mtbr.com, but take them with a grain of salt. A large percentage are posted by teens with too much free time, company PR reps and people with an axe to grind. Still a good source of info.

I would spend money on a bike with front and rear disc brakes. Discs give you the ability to easily modulate your speed, where V-brakes are more on and off -- I really wish I had these, the difference is huge. Budget for better tires -- many bikes come with semi-knobby tires which look cool, are generally light weight and are only for expert riders. Buy a good set of knobbys, but ask the shop what works well in your area as they tend to be somewhat condition specific. Also, plan to upgrade the saddle. Most bikes come with a saddle to match the relative price-point of the bike and that is not a place to save money and cut corners. I still have not found too many that I like.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
How affordable would you define 'affordable'? What are the sort of things you picturing riding with it? Paved bike paths, dirt roads, harder singletrack? Do you think you need full suspension, for example?

In terms of a 'real' mountain bike (not a slight, just meaning one that is really intended for the use), you can do well at about $700 for a hardtail or about $1200 for a full suspension. Going to roughly the lower end of decent stuff, figure about $450 for a hardtail that could reasonably be expected to last in true trail duty. I'd personally not spend much less than $1000 on a full suspension bike destined for hard trail use. Anything below about that price tends to be heavy and likely to break (this is dangerous primarily).

Something like a GT Avalanche 2.0 is a pretty fair bike, probably the low end of what's suitable for true trail duty.

If you're planning on paved bike paths and that sort of things, then finding something in the $300-$400 range should provide a reasonably decent bike that it's not going to weigh a ton and will be reliable.

Personally, I'd look at something used to save money. You can save significant coin buying someone's year or two old bike when they upgrade. Figure a $1000 bike will lose a little less than half it's value on the used market.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Yikes - prices are a little higher than I expected. I was picturing something between $500 and $1000, without being a Huffy. I think I'd enjoy smooth paths with the occassional log, rock, or small ledge. Comfort is more of a concern than being hardcore.

While riding downhill on rocky, bumpy roads and trails in the past, I'd usually hold on to the handle bars very tightly. By the time I'd reach the bottom or come to a stop, my hands would hurt so bad that I couldn't let go of the handle bars. I don't like this - its not something I care to experience again.

I do have a bike that I purchased new around 1990 by my best guess. It is a Schwinn Impact that still fits me perfectly. The biggest problem is its lack of a suspension, but its still a viable platform - other than being a little bit dated.

194857185_8baecb4fe1.jpg

Would it be an option to update this Schwinn with a front suspension to make it a good entry level bike? It may be a stupid question - I just don't know what I have here.

Here are more pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=impact&w=me&z=t

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
Look into the trek mtn bikes. I think it's a 4500. It's a hard tail w/disk brakes.

As with any bike, just make sure it's very comfortable for you and is suited to your height and weight.:wings:

DaveInDenver

IIRC, that Schwinn is a 7-speed, most likely something like a Exage 400 LX component group. If so, probably roughly a 1992 vintage? That means it's a 1-1/8" headset and generally shares most dimensions with current bikes. You could add a shock to it pretty easily.

Check:
http://www.bikeparts.com
http://www.pricepoint.com
http://www.greenfishsports.com
http://www.jensonusa.com
http://www.cambriabike.com
http://www.universalcycles.com
http://www.beyondbikes.com

Consider:
$130 for the shock:
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=7494&category=91

$25 for the stem:
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=934&category=792

$15 for the headset
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=595&category=101

I won't blow smoke, this shock is not pro level. But it's at least as good or maybe better than what's gonna come on a sub-$600 new bike. For $170 plus some shipping (and shop labor if you have it done), you could upgrade your current bike. It would be good enough to see if you want to justify spending more on a new bike or not, at least.

Last edited:

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
For that price range and intended purpose, check into a hard tail mountain bike. There are many available at that price level and they are more similar than different, which makes shopping easier. Just find one that feels good to you and rest assured you picked a winner.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Best thing is to go out and ride a bunch of bikes...you'll know immediately what feels good and what doesn't.

Generally, a good hard tail is great for all around. Specialized...although taiwan...are good value for the money, but don't have the flash factor of a more custom bike, and would make an excellent first bike.

If you could budget $1,500 you could find an excellent bike.

-H-

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
194856519_768042b305.jpg

Thanks for the extremely helpful replies. What I really need to do is air up the tires on my Schwinn Impact, and take it for a low impact ride on the trail down by the river. That would help me figure out to what extent I want to pursue this.

From what I can tell, it sounds like I'd be spending almost $400 to update the bike and bring it up to speed. For relatively little more than that, I could get a new hard-tail bike. That's why it kinda depends on how keen I am on embracing this hobby. :)

asteffes

Explorer
You can buy a perfectly useful, fun and reliable bike with good Shimano parts and front shock for around $500. Check the local bike shop for something from Specialized, Trek or Gary Fischer. Or buy a used bike from someone who has traded up to a fancier one.

DaveInDenver

cshontz said:
Thanks for the extremely helpful replies. What I really need to do is air up the tires on my Schwinn Impact, and take it for a low impact ride on the trail down by the river. That would help me figure out to what extent I want to pursue this.

From what I can tell, it sounds like I'd be spending almost $400 to update the bike and bring it up to speed. For relatively little more than that, I could get a new hard-tail bike. That's why it kinda depends on how keen I am on embracing this hobby. :)

The difference is that in today's market a bike like your Impact is more like a $800 bike than a $400 bike. Putting a couple of hundred into it would result in a really decent bike. My first MTB was a Schwinn High Plains, middle 1980s clunker, but the bike I bought after was a Giant ATX 950, which had 7 speed DX. Really dug that bike. Anyway, the bike below it was the Iguana ATX, which was almost the same bike as your Schwinn Impact. Same components and quite similar frame (yours has asymmetrical chain stays, something Schwinn/Paramount was doing back then). Exage 400 is roughly equivalent to what's now Deore in terms of quality.

My ATX cost about $900 back in 1990, the Iguana was $600. Convert that to 2006 dollars that $600 is about $830. Stick a decent shock on it and you've got roughly a $1000 bike.

If you end up replacing the Impact, let me know I'd be keen to buy it and put it back into service. Neat old steel frame bike, just don't make like that any more. Just my $0.02, having been around a few bike shops (I was a shop wrench for almost 4 years in the early 1990s) and having owned waayyyy too many bikes.

Last edited:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Seriously....the old bike is great to ride to the local watering hole or to the grocery, but it's just too old to update without just spending enough $$ to get a nice new bike....

Keep the towny cruiser though! Ya' don't want to park a nice new ride outside the local 7/11 and get it ripped off!

-H-

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I just filled the tires and took it for a spin around the driveway and in the street out front. It works well, and still feels really solid. There is a click in one of the pedals, the shifting could be tuned up a little, and the tires look kinda rotten - but its a working bike. It was never left out in the rain, so it moves and sounds great.

My ass bone hurts not long after I've been riding. Is this the seat, or has be sphincter just become so tender and supple after years of disuse that it hurts more readily?

asteffes

Explorer
cshontz said:
I just filled the tires and took it for a spin around the driveway and in the street out front. It works well, and still feels really solid. There is a click in one of the pedals, the shifting could be tuned up a little, and the tires look kinda rotten - but its a working bike. It was never left out in the rain, so it moves and sounds great.

My ass bone hurts not long after I've been riding. Is this the seat, or has be sphincter just become so tender and supple after years of disuse that it hurts more readily?

Keep riding... the soreness will go away. Take it to a shop for a $50 tune-up, or do it yourself. It will feel like a new machine!

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
If you decide to get a new bike, look at hardtails and your money will go much farther.

I like Giant bikes for the money, but I've also owned Trek and Specialized...

I think you can find a new Rainer hardtail for around $600.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke