LR3 headlight degradation

cornfarmer

Observer
I'm sure that I'm not the only one here with yellowed, hazy, crusty headlights? One of mine even has some nice condensation buildup. Man, I wish LR went with glass on these instead of plastic.

I'm either going to buy less nasty replacements on eBay, or do the buff/polish thing. Buying whole new (used) assemblies in better condition only postpones having to eventually buff out the fogginess. I know buffing the current lights will work ok, but it doesn't last based on my experience doing it to other cars.

Are the Xenon/HID's glass or plastic? Are they a straight swap, or do I need to have the ecu/software flashed?

ArmyRover

Adventurer
Having mine polished up at Sam's Club. $35 with a 5 year warranty. Did a nice job on my coworkers lights, they looked like new

LtFuzz

Explorer
I used the 3M kit. Worked incredibly well. Just be very patient and spend the time necessary to sand between coats.

kissmywassp

Observer
The Xenon headlights are still plastic. One of mine fogs up after I wash it & is dirty on the inside of the headlight. Probably going to heat it up & separate the lens from housing & clean the inside. Hopefully sealing the headlight with silicon will prevent future condensation.

javib00

I highly recommend the SYLVANIA Headlight Restoration Kit from Amazon. I have used it on my previous E39 BMW headlights which were in rough shape and just recently, my '0 LR3. If you take your time and get into all the nooks 'n crannies of the headlights and UV protect them carefully, they will come out looking new. I am very satisfied although with my 'new' headlights, it's revealing the imperfections in the paint! haha

DISCOVER

I'm going to be doing mine soon on my D2 and lr3. The key to prevent yellowing for years to come is to spray it with uv stable clear coat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles