Considering a van for my next rig...seeking opinions about make/model reliability.

Scotty D

I am in baja right now in a 2009 awd express and happy as a clam.
With 20 psi in my KO2s and my 2 inch lift I going places you would not think a fairly stock cargo van could go.
Before I added the beefy tires and solar and kayak and solar water heater and lift and and and.... I was getting a solid 18mpg with a bit of hypermiling. I once went a thousand miles mostly in the rockies and got 20 mpg.
Unfortunately my few mods have dragged me down to about 15.5 and I dont even have a hightop yet
Transmission will not let you tow very much(replaced at 170k) but I love this van.
I think these are going to get hard to find soon, it me months to find mine.
The word is out.

Trans West off of I76 and 96th ave. in Commerce City usually has a good selection of Chevy AWD vans. Know the KBB value before you go in! Book is Book, there is no such thing a Colorado Market Adjustment. Check the Carfax and make sure its not a resort van or field service vehicle, those may have low miles, but they are hard miles.
Mine is 2wd and I've used it for two winters so far in the mountains without problems. I do have chains.
IMG_1679.jpg

I’m on the north side of Denver, if you’re up this way, you are more than welcome to check out my van.
I like both Ford and Chevy. I looked at a few 5.3 AWD’s while searching for vans. I really wanted a V10 or 7.3 van but after nine months of searching I ended up with a 2010 E350xlt EB that I bought with 70k miles for $14k. With everything I’ve done I’ve got a hair less than $18k into mine, and that’s including everything. If you do it yourself, you can save thousands. I’ve owned many 4x4’s and love my van the most. FWIW The only thing I refuse to buy is a Ford with the 6.0 diesel.

wjeeper

Ha!
Just adding to the Ford/GM debate..
I used to manage a fleet of around 50 Electrician vans and a few pickups. Ford & Chev, they were basically equals until 80k or so when Chevs suffered far more irritating small problem than Ford.
Unless I can buy it insanely low, Wont ever own GM for myself.

Verkstad what are some of the typical problems you see with the Chebbies? Is it mostly electrical/ body issues more than mechanical? Managing that big of a fleet I am sure you have some invaluable insight!

outdoornate65

Adventurer
I’m on the north side of Denver, if you’re up this way, you are more than welcome to check out my van.
I like both Ford and Chevy. I looked at a few 5.3 AWD’s while searching for vans. I really wanted a V10 or 7.3 van but after nine months of searching I ended up with a 2010 E350xlt EB that I bought with 70k miles for $14k. With everything I’ve done I’ve got a hair less than $18k into mine, and that’s including everything. If you do it yourself, you can save thousands. I’ve owned many 4x4’s and love my van the most. FWIW The only thing I refuse to buy is a Ford with the 6.0 diesel.

I appreciate the offer. I'd like the chance to check-out the van. I'm back and forth to Lyons all the time....will reach out on a future trip north.

Thanks,

Nate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles