Integrated Spare Fuel Tank

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
With enough effort and money, anything is possible.
Are you looking for more fuel, specifically, or just a way to use the otherwise unused space?
Reason I ask is that in the olden days of carbureted engines and no emissions controls and a lot fewer product liability lawsuits, making spare fuel tanks was a relatively good business. Flipping through old issues of Four Wheeler and Pickup, Van & 4WD magazine you can see ads for spare fuel tanks throughout the magazine.
But modern fuel injected engines require a pressurized fuel system, modern emissions control systems and computers require much more sophisticated setups with sensors, vents, etc, and of course, God help you if there is a leak or a fire because the product liability lawyers will be all over you.
I think the net result of all this is that there just isn't much money anymore in making auxiliary fuel tanks, and those that are made, are ruinously expensive.
If the goal is simply to use what would otherwise be unused space, you could carry water there, in the tank you linked to. That would let you carry fuel someplace else.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
It really depends on the vehicle in question and the actual dimensions of the space, provide this info and people will be able to help you more accurately.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
You can find aux diesel tanks for many vehicles, but aux gas tanks are a thing of the past, unless you go custom. Personally, I would not want gas in the passenger compartment, unless it's a fuel cell with a kill switch and an extinguisher system. Even then, I'd be nervous with all the loonies on the road.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Look for 'transfer tanks'. But if you want to maximize the fuel capacity in the space you have, you'll probably want something custom-made / welded aluminum. And still operate it as a transfer tank. Or even a gravity-fed transfer, with a ball valve in the plumbing between tanks. Lots of DOT rules to obey or evade.

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Thanks guys,

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD, 6.0L gas, 2016 Four Wheel Camper Grandby, custom fabricated aluminum "adventure" bed. Or whatever. Not really sure what to call the bed. "Fancy thing I built to keep my hi-lift jack and all the tools out of my tiny living room".

The standard transfer tanks are just too big for the space. We have 32 gallons stock, but we also average 9-11 mpg. I'd like to get another 100 miles or so added to our range. I'm definitely not looking to just fill space, but it seems like a good area to add the fuel weight. I've got about 60"w x 22"h x 3-4" deep depending on how far back I'd be willing to move the camper (not much).

I'm definitely planning just a transfer tank type setup, essentially a glorified jerry can. Where the space is located it would be super simple to just add a line into the filler neck of the stock tank with a valve to top off when needed.

Not too worried about DOT, we're in Ecuador right now.. :)

We're definitely NOT going to put fuel in the cab, this is the space between the camper and the bulkhead of our truck bed. When I built the truck bed I wasn't as confident in my aluminum welding abilities, but if I was building it again, I think I'd integrate an extra 10-15 gallons of fuel or so into the bulkhead space.

Of course I could just hang fuel cans all over my rig, but we've got the space amidships and that seems like a good place for the extra weight. Plus I'm trying to avoid the "expo AF" look all the PDX hipsters are going for these days.

DSC04902.jpgDSC05113.jpgDSC07505.jpg

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Plus I'm trying to avoid the "expo AF" look all the PDX hipsters are going for these days.

When I lived in Arkansas somebody called me a metrosexual because I had all my teeth, owned a decent house, had a real job and did not drive a beat up pickup truck. I assume PDX hipster refers to the Portland dweebs but what is "expo AF"?

javajoe79

Fabricator
Look for 'transfer tanks'. But if you want to maximize the fuel capacity in the space you have, you'll probably want something custom-made / welded aluminum. And still operate it as a transfer tank. Or even a gravity-fed transfer, with a ball valve in the plumbing between tanks. Lots of DOT rules to obey or evade.

I agree with all of this.

javajoe79

Fabricator
Thanks guys,

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD, 6.0L gas, 2016 Four Wheel Camper Grandby, custom fabricated aluminum "adventure" bed. Or whatever. Not really sure what to call the bed. "Fancy thing I built to keep my hi-lift jack and all the tools out of my tiny living room".

The standard transfer tanks are just too big for the space. We have 32 gallons stock, but we also average 9-11 mpg. I'd like to get another 100 miles or so added to our range. I'm definitely not looking to just fill space, but it seems like a good area to add the fuel weight. I've got about 60"w x 22"h x 3-4" deep depending on how far back I'd be willing to move the camper (not much).

I'm definitely planning just a transfer tank type setup, essentially a glorified jerry can. Where the space is located it would be super simple to just add a line into the filler neck of the stock tank with a valve to top off when needed.

Not too worried about DOT, we're in Ecuador right now.. :)

We're definitely NOT going to put fuel in the cab, this is the space between the camper and the bulkhead of our truck bed. When I built the truck bed I wasn't as confident in my aluminum welding abilities, but if I was building it again, I think I'd integrate an extra 10-15 gallons of fuel or so into the bulkhead space.

Of course I could just hang fuel cans all over my rig, but we've got the space amidships and that seems like a good place for the extra weight. Plus I'm trying to avoid the "expo AF" look all the PDX hipsters are going for these days.

View attachment 437055View attachment 437056View attachment 437057

Any fab shop should be able to make that for you if you aren't comfortable with welding aluminum. I've made several custom tanks and since that one is just a thin rectangle, it's not very complex at all.

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Any fab shop should be able to make that for you if you aren't comfortable with welding aluminum. I've made several custom tanks and since that one is just a thin rectangle, it's not very complex at all.

Haha, I "wasn't". After building the truck I'm a bit more comfortable with it.

Probably going to have to be me unless you can recommend any good aluminum welders in Peru..?

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
When I lived in Arkansas somebody called me a metrosexual because I had all my teeth, owned a decent house, had a real job and did not drive a beat up pickup truck. I assume PDX hipster refers to the Portland dweebs but what is "expo AF"?

Basically imagine as much junk bolted to the outside of your rig as possible. With an effort made to put the heaviest items on the roof, because that's where they look the coolest when parked at Whole Foods. Make sure and install a snorkel, limb risers, as many LED's as will fit, and leave your roof top tent and awning installed for your daily commute to Intel. Oh, and if you don't have a Toyota, you're basically not even in the game.

Further Reading/Sources-
https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/expoaf/
https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/pdxoverlanders/
https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/overlandmemes/

Last edited:

javajoe79

Fabricator
Haha, I "wasn't". After building the truck I'm a bit more comfortable with it.

Probably going to have to be me unless you can recommend any good aluminum welders in Peru..?

Gotcha! Can't say I know of a good tig welder in Peru though.. Sorry.

robert

Expedition Leader
Well I have no idea about Peru but the easiest way to get a custom tank is to have a welder make it up for you. Here in the States I'd say look at marine tanks; they come in a huge variety of styles to go in the gunwales, under the floor, etc. so there are lots of shapes. The simplest thing would be to have a transfer tank where you pumped from the aux tank into the main but it'd be easy enough to have a gravity feed into your main tank with an solenoid switched valve. you'd have to vent/open the filler on both tanks then close them when the transfer was complete. Again, the marine industry uses these on transfer tanks; the USCG requires a valve at each end of the transfer line to allow for maintenance but with as short a run as you'd have I'd probably put one electric switched valve and one manual (that I left in the open position) just in case you ever had to service or remove the system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles