New 1998 Winter Package

ssatellite

I found a local 1998 Winter package with 149,XXX miles and bought it. Hardest part is going to be not driving much before I get to the front end of the engine.

To do:
-Clean it
-Door lock actuator
-Correct steering wheel rotation
-Feather peeling clear coat and wax
-Find cold start problem (previous owner already replaced IAC.
-Find oil leak
-Timing belt, water pump etc. Etc.
-New stereo
-Adventure

4 kids between 7 and 7weeks so it'll be slow going but super excited and stoked to find this community.
914a9a21cf6cb5b22591bfdf00bff672.jpg
ec114e50a1756d76e417182abc31b147.jpg

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

zerodrift

Adventurer
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new vehicle! I'm enjoying the color (as it's the same as mine).

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

PacS14

Adventurer
Congrats! Same color too! Keep us posted on updates. The last maintenance thing for me is to do the valve guide seals as now I have a puff of smoke after idling for a little bit. Good luck!

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Congrats, that's a great ultra low mileage find, did you run the Carfax?!

Looks like a great candidate for a Monstaliner paint job :)

ssatellite

Thanks guys. @socalnative I had the hometown jump on you, but I've seen a few down your way if you're in Socal.

It's hardly perfect, but it was cheap. Definitely a candidate for some sort of paint job ;-)

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

fishon1213

Observer
Nice, we had one just like it a few years ago but it had rust issues. I sold it to army trucks inc. It was one of my favorite vehicles we've ever owned.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

paj54

Observer
Very nice Monty. Love my 94 Pajero 2.8 turbo shorty, also with winter package. Great trucks and super select is an awesome transfer case.

Great find, especially with lower miles. I know the dilemma with free time: kids vs Montero... Take your time and enjoy the process. Welcome!

evomaki

Observer
One possible thought on the cold start issue is you fuel pressure sensor on top of the fuel pump assembly, external to the tank and under the access plate center of the rear compartment. My '99 had a weird cold start issue. Would only start on the third or fourth try on cold days. You cold crank it for 30 seconds on the first or second and nothing. Once started, would idle poorly for 5 seconds and then all fine. Mitsu mechanic told me that particular sensor will not throw a code if it goes. Replaced it and it did the trick. Could obviously be many things. This is just one idea. Who knows? Grab that sensor if you are at a junkyard and try it. Easy to R&R. That sensor also probably the same over many model years so you can probably find one easily enough. Good luck, and welcome to the group.

ssatellite

Finally getting into the real work. With some trials and tribulations I've gotten most of the way to the timing belt and will be doing most of the other front of engine stuff too. I built the bar stock tool and got the crankshaft bolt out. Hoping to get some insight on a couple things.

1. How do I get the crankshaft pulley off?
  2. The gaskets on the plastic timing covers are in pieces. Is that something to buy or just use rtv?
IMG_20180513_160023706.jpg
Haven't been driving it much till this maintenance is done. Sooooo excited to be nearing the point where we can enjoy it!

nckwltn

Explorer
Crank pulley and crank timing gear should pull straight off... I've not had to use any kind of puller, but mine is a California car.

Be sure to replace the crank pulley bolt with the new style.

My timing cover gaskets were shot too.... I ordered some from a mitsu dealer. They were not expensive. I suggest you order several of the one with the longest length and cut to fit. I used a glue stick along one edge of the gasket to hold it to the timing cover while I installed. Seems to work pretty well.

Might want to replace the crank seal while you have it all apart.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

ssatellite

I thought the pulley would separate from the gear. You loosen the tbelt and then remove the pulley and gear together?

Thanks for the advice. Crank seal is on the list!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles