Buying choices: lx470 or trailblazer

Benlandis24

I'll start by saying, yes I know what forum this is haha. I am getting a new 4x4 suv. I have had a suburban for the last several years. It has been ok minus the repiars, but it was old and beaten when I got it. I just moved to Arizona and plan on doing a fair amount of camping and driving trails. I have found a 2000 lx470 with 210k miles for 5k asking. It's supposed to be in good shape but I still have to look at it. I also found a 2006 Trailblazer with 100k miles for 5500. It is 4x4 but would def need some type of lift in the front for ant clearance. Both vehicles look clean. Realistically the lx470 is probably more than I would ever need, but it seems like it could be a good deal.

It is just my wife and I for the time being. Vehicle would be on pavement probably 90% of the time and off-road on some weekends. What would you get and why?

Thanks

phsycle

Adventurer
Definitely the LX; however, I would also check out a 4Runner or even an extended cab Tacoma, since it's just the two of you. Better MPG than the LX and quite capable off road as well.

MTSN

Explorer
I’ll help you out. Absolutely no one is going to suggest the Trailblazer unless you go to a Chevy forum. Maybe not even then.

Arktikos

Explorer
Neither one for your intentions, but given only those two choices then clearly the LX for build quality, dependability and ruggedness.

Klierslc

Explorer
So, no surprises in your answers so far, but I'll break the mold a little bit. If you get the 6 cylinder trailblazer, it will get significantly better mileage than the LX. Also, the trailblazer suspension will probably give you fewer headaches. I wouldn't personally run an 18 year old 200,000 mile hydraulic suspension unless it had been very well maintained. You do have the option of pulling that system and replacing it with Land Cruiser springs. Other than that, the LX will be more comfortable both on and off road, is at least as quick as the Trailblazer, but it a lags behind a bit when it comes to handling. If the suspension is working properly, the sport setting will help with this but it comes down to tires and physics--neither one is a sports car though. I'll agree that a 3rd or 4th gen 4runner is probably more than adequate for your needs. The 01 and up 4runners came with the vehicle stability control (which I highly recommend). The LX is AWD and it also has that feature. Good luck!

fullybalanced

Too many plans, not enough time
please buy the Trailblazer and leave the LC for people that wouldn't ask that question. I'm sure it will be fine for you. check out my signature....

Benlandis24

Well Thursday I picked up the LX. Overall it's in better shape than I thought it would be in. It appears to be well maintained and the AHC does work. There are some lights on the dash currently, but will be taking it to a shop next week to see what codes its throwing. Overall happy with the buy. It rides way better than I thought it would.

We have an 07 LX and it easily one of my favorite vehicles we’ve ever owned. They are more capable than you’ll ever need based on your above comments. They are very reliable but do some research on the AHC system. If the system is healthy enough to be flushed then it’s worth flushing it. I planned on replacing the system straight away but really began to like it! Congratulations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste