Big insurance problem- I needs some help

Mock Tender

Adventurer
Well, on Friday I got a non-renewal notice from Progressive. We have had their insurance for three years. The reason “…has an unacceptable body style”.

So what triggered this? Turns out Progressive does not do their underwriting at the beginning, but once a claim is filed, then your folder gets moved to underwriting. I managed to crease my trailer door and break the inset window. Didn’t seem like a big deal. It wasn’t, and my payout for the deductible was $500.00 and the amount Progressive paid was $550.00. I told the adjuster that I would just pay, because it was so small and I didn’t want it going against my record. The adjuster insisted that that little amount would not affect my rating at Progressive. So I went with it. Then they asked the adjuster to take lots of pictures. Unbeknownst to me, those all went to underwriting.

I have talked with a lot of agents and insurance companies directly over the last two days. I have had a lot of sympathetic ears and “oh we can insure that through Progressive”. But, no insurance yet.

Turns out that National Interstate is now out of the RV market. Liberty Mutual, Safeco, Foremost, National General, Geico, Auto Owners, State Farm, AAA, Nationwide, USAA and a few others will not take modified vehicles. Foremost almost went along, but we were then thrown out by not having our conversion done by someone that “primarily does conversions” (needs to have a website that they can use to confirm as their primary business).

Were are currently checking into Surplus Lines companies- nothing yet.

A lot of agents said they have been sending people to other companies, because new underwriting precludes major modifications and god forbid DIY conversions.

So anyone just now getting insurance? Not last year- too many underwriting changes. Otherwise, I might just have to take the Beast apart.

Mark

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I've looked into the idea of opening an insurance company that specifically insures DIY style builds and or any rig/camper/boat that is "uninsurable". If I had a sweet DIY camper build I'd pay extra $$ to insure it.

From what I've read, it seems very difficult to do.

My brother just bought a tent trailer and he is joining the good sam club or something like that...I believe he told me they offer insurance...might be worth looking into. Could also be untrue.

Best of luck.

skippythedog

Observer
Yikes! But what constitutes "modification?"....all come bare frame and have beds or boxes installed. I have Progressive and it was the only insurer I could find....No camper on mine; only dump cylinder on flatbed with metal hoops and Troop Carrier style soft canvas along with a Gichner S-250 that slides in the back... AAA won't provide RV coverage though there are people with motor homes that are 3x to 4x the length and 2x the weight...all they care about is the 14,050 #gvw......sucks.

skippythedog

Observer
Yikes! But what constitutes "modification?"....all come bare frame and have beds or boxes installed. I have Progressive and it was the only insurer I could find....No camper on mine; only dump cylinder on flatbed with metal hoops and Troop Carrier style soft canvas along with a Gichner S-250 that slides in the back... AAA won't provide RV coverage though there are people with motor homes that are 3x to 4x the length and 2x the weight...all they care about is the 14,050 #gvw......sucks.

Just called a Foremost agent. They said they just got notice today, they are no longer doing "commercial automotive".........Also called Good Sam....."no products for that rig"

Last edited:

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Just so you know Foremost Insurance is an increased risk carrier (Meaning higher risk/cost) and is owned by & division of Farmer's Insurance.

Since liability insurance coverage for a trailer extends from the tow vehicle liability policy I "assume" you are looking for replacement "Comprehensive" and "Collision" coverage for your trailer.

Is That correct?

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Having leverage helps. State Farm yrs ago sent me a note they wouldn’t insure my sailboat any more after two claims in one year after 9 yrs of no claims. Of the claims was theft of gear and minor damage my boat was one of 4 hit in our secure club yard. The other claim was damage from unknown debri in the shipping channel it went to the biat doc for some glass work.

I called our Agent and asked if State Farm was aware of all the policies I had with them. She laughed and said no they aren’t smart enough at HQ to figure that out. Lets just say I never got any more threats they were canceling my policy. It helps to have leverage.

kerry

Expedition Leader
American Family insured ours as a motorhome until I claimed for hail damage to the camper roof this year. Now they only insure the truck and camper separately, not together. I have a fair amount of leverage with a number of rental properties insured with them.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I just got my renewal through progressive, but I only carry liability insurance @ $250/year.

dlh62c

Explorer
With the Bigfoot camper, has the vehicle been re-classified as an RV, with a new title and VIN?

If not, the truck's VIN still classifies it as a commercial vehicle, no matter what's mounted on the back. The RVIA certification on the Bigfoot camper will work in your favor.

Sourcing insurance coverage on DIY conversions will be problematic, but not impossible. Underwriters have problems assigning a value to DIY conversions. Try to source an assigned value policy using receipts for the big ticket items like the truck and trailer purchase costs.

In the past, having multiple policies with the same company used to work in your favor, not anymore. Don't take it personal, sourcing insurance coverage on school bus coversions and tiny home builds is also difficult.

Try working with an independent agent not tied to a specific company. There may be some information in the below links that may help.

https://tinyhousegiantjourney.com/2016/10/19/tiny-house-insurance/

https://youtu.be/O4xHUPxyNe4

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=29508

Last edited:

Mock Tender

Adventurer
Update-

Day 4, only conclusion is that most insurance agents are DEAF! But I have found two that are giving me some hope- just not much.

Good Sam insurance is National General- no mods- although funny enough a school bus conversion is fine.

With no attached camper/trailer on frame- several insurance companies would cover.

Once a trailer is defooted and mounted it is part of the RV. Yes we want comp and collision.

No leverage here- we sold or put everything in storage when we sailed to South America and then on to New Zealand. No other cars, houses, or anything accept the TW200.

I would love the contact for Aviva USA. They only seem to want you to know about the UK version.

We got too much into this for just liability.

Yes, the vehicle was registered in Montana, since we do this full-time and have no home. They required it to be classified as a Class C Motorhome. Of which is a pretty big stretch if you look at the regs. Having said that, it takes 6 to 8 weeks after I deconstruct the Beast and show the truck alone and the trailer back on the no longer have undercarriage. In another words, about 8 weeks in good weather after I lose my insurance.

Colorado on the other hand does not title campers and can title it as a 14,000 GVWR truck- if I remove the trailer. I have that date set for March 13th as a back-up. Then there might be some more room to call it a camper added on to a truck. Just have to pay the taxes and fees and then hope for the best.

And for those who did not look of where we are- Australian or African or anywhere else but the good ole USA insurance companies probably won't work.

I did talk to one agent that is scouring the Surplus Lines insurances and feels pretty good about maybe getting us covered just as we are- It is gonna cost money no matter what, so open to a lot of things

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Another option - before I titled the Fuso in my name (as a Motorhome, or House Car as we call them in North Carolina), it was insured through my business under the blanket coverage I have for all owned vehicles. The insurance company didn't care what the vehicles were, just what my maximum coverage could be.

gait

Explorer
Alessie is a Dutch insurer familiar and competent with international insurance. They supplied us with European "green card" insurance which included former soviet union (and Russia IIRC) for our Australian registered vehicle. They can insure in US.
http://www.alessie.com/

Hope this isn't condescending. For me, insurance is related to "state of mind". Insurance doesn't reduce the risk, it improves the outcome should the risk be realised. It is up to me to reduce the risk. While having insurance we also understand that a worst case is we may have to walk away with nothing. It would be a shock if it happened, but being mentally prepared and having an independent plan helps improve the outcome. When I calculate our "wealth" I treat depreciating assets (like vehicles) as having zero value (while realising I have an emotional attachment to my pride and joy mobile home). Beyond that the vehicle has one value for insurance and a different value for customs.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Hope this isn't condescending. For me, insurance is related to "state of mind". Insurance doesn't reduce the risk, it improves the outcome should the risk be realized. It is up to me to reduce the risk. While having insurance we also understand that a worst case is we may have to walk away with nothing. It would be a shock if it happened, but being mentally prepared and having an independent plan helps improve the outcome. When I calculate our "wealth" I treat depreciating assets (like vehicles) as having zero value (while realizing I have an emotional attachment to my pride and joy mobile home). Beyond that the vehicle has one value for insurance and a different value for customs.

That is my look at it as well. Though I would hate to lose my Canter, it is a possession and I have an emotional attachment, losing it would hit my pocket. It is not the end of the world if everyone walks away. That is why I'm not afraid to use it where and how I do and drive it to get to unreal places.

I have a spare low mileage one (Canter) at home on the farm,
Dan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles