Anyone else have issues with Firestone Airbags?

sailorcolin

Observer
I have the Firestone Airbag helper springs on my 2007 Xterra. I continuously have issues with bolts breaking or loosening on the lower section of the system. I have replaced several bolts on both sides. The supplies bolts have broken and I have replaced them with heavier and heavier duty bolts as they continue to break or loosen. I have tried locktight locking nuts, but every 4 months or so I loose a bolt. Not sure if it is user error or not. I followed the original instructions when installing them.

4eZh6U7l.jpg

4x4x4doors

Explorer
I don't have firestone but do have air lift (no problems) Part of the install instructions for them called for removing the lower shock bolt and reversing it so the longer threaded with nut part was inboard of the shock. Any chance your lower shock bolt is interfering with the airbag mounting?

sailorcolin

Observer
I don't have firestone but do have air lift (no problems) Part of the install instructions for them called for removing the lower shock bolt and reversing it so the longer threaded with nut part was inboard of the shock. Any chance your lower shock bolt is interfering with the airbag mounting?

Dont think so. Neither part moves and they are about 2" apart,

sailorcolin

Observer

It happens on bothsides and the shock mount on the passenger side is forward of the axle. Also, the Firestone instructions didnt state to do anything with the shock bolts.

IMG_0702.jpg

sailorcolin

Observer

Do you have a pic of your airbags?

trollhattan

Observer
I have about 50K miles on my firestone airbags and I don't have that issue or any issue at all. It could be driving in rust belt that seized the bolt on my behalf.
I do recall being confused during installation because instruction had left and right side upper plates mixed up. Also it seems you have spacers installed on the airbag?
rnNjavT.jpg

Last edited:

sailorcolin

Observer
I have about 50K miles on my firestone airbags and I don't have that issue or any issue at all. It could be driving in rust belt that seized the bolt on my behalf.
I do recall being confused during installation because instruction had left and right side upper plates mixed up. Also it seems you have spacers installed on the airbag?
yes, I do have spacers so that under full downward travel, the bag is not stretched. Also under full upward travel, the bag does not make contact with the upper part of the system. Took a little R&D to get my spacer system perfect. Going on 30k miles with the bags installed with the spacer and have had no issues besides the bolts breaking / coming off

sailorcolin

Observer

After I did a lift, I got a 1.5" purpose made spacer. Then I put a new axle in the back from a frontier and due to the shock mount, I had more downward travel, so I welded up another 1" spacer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles