Source for pop top tent enclosure?

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
I’ve finalized my working design for the top and lifting mechanism and have turned my attention to the enclosure (basically the sewn fabric walls). I’ve found several custom enclosure suppliers, but have no references or insight into their abilities to produce. All three say they will custom make to my design including sewing foam between two layers of fabric and 1/2 round windows with screens and shades. Here are the three:

Paul’s Custom Canvas paulscanvas.com
Dockside Custom Canvas docksidecanvas.com
Mahaney Canvas mahaneycanvas.com

Any insight on these or recommendations for a better source? Thanks.

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
Could try SLO Sail and Canvas in San Luis Obispo, CA. I remember someone getting a custom pop-top done by them and it looked great. They also do/did a rainfly for the Flipac that people seem to like.

What kind of fabric are you planning on using? Seem to be lots of trade offs between stuff like Sunbrella, cotton canvas, something waterproof, etc.

I need to improve my current DIY cotton canvas at some point so interested to see what you come up with...

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
Thanks, folks. Given where I plan on going, I'm looking for an insulated material. I'm thinking two layers with some foam insulation in the middle sewn together. However, I need to find insulation material that won't breakdown. I've seen some foam that within a few years is yellowed and brittle, breaking apart and sinking to the bottom of the space between the layers.

An update, when I called the companies listed above, they were all interested in producing the enclosure. Two have since clarified that I would need to bring the vehicle to them where they would verify the design/dimensions and do the installation. I can understand the reluctance and potential customer service issues given they don't know me or my competence, but I've also seen more shoddy installation work of high quality product by “professionals” and would prefer to take my time and do it my way.

I sent SLO an email and I'll look for a local marine upholstery shop as an option.

Last edited:

The Artisan

Adventurer
I could sew up an enclosure for you. I usually use weathermax instead of sunbrella. I own and run an upholstery shop and my main market is to the DIY crowd. My site is being rebuilt but my IG is creativeautorestorations
Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles