VW Syncro Westfalia 4x4

Msand

Importer
I'm sure he'll get what he is asking for it, I've seen some built up like this with low miles sell for $80,000-$100,000+

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I think the availability of Sprinter 4x4 Vans is putting a damper on the VW Syncro prices

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
I think the availability of Sprinter 4x4 Vans is putting a damper on the VW Syncro prices

:iagree:

What I was thinking as well. Although there was a lot of work put in to this, $80K is a steep coin to purchase some nostalgia when there are now newer OEM options in the van-class of travel with 4x4 capabilities. Always amazes me when peeps think what they spent on these kinds of endeavors is what they will get to charge someone else come resale time. We all agree it's only worth what someone is willing to pay; perhaps someone will feel nostalgic soon.

Johnrunberg

Adventurer
That's a lot of coin, especially for a rig that will fail CARB if the referee knows what he's looking at. I've seen sales this high happen but it takes the right buyer.

Riptide

Explorer
It looks pretty well sorted, and they are pretty capable trucks to begin with. Plus, most overlanders value simplicity and reliability, and not many people would call a Sprinter "simple"...

But my wife does like an on-board potty, so Vee-Dubs are a non-starter with her.

adam88

Explorer
I agree these VW's have fallen in price since the new Sprinter 4x4. Keep in mind, the new Sprinter besides all other things, it is just super safe. Those old VW's are like tin cans. For 87k you can do a comparable build out in a new 4x4 sprinter.

rontaki

Observer
On the other hand, I've never had a limp home mode on my Suby-powered Syncro Westy. Truly simple. Fixable with normal tools, etc.
Anyone want to trade for their 4x4 Sprinter? :D

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
That's a lot of coin, especially for a rig that will fail CARB if the referee knows what he's looking at. I've seen sales this high happen but it takes the right buyer.

It does have the KEP CARB sticker, which should help quite a bit, but yes given that it has newer heads, a California buyer could be in for a long road.

Riptide

Explorer
On the other hand, I've never had a limp home mode on my Suby-powered Syncro Westy. Truly simple. Fixable with normal tools, etc.
Anyone want to trade for their 4x4 Sprinter? :D

Boy, ain't that the truth? I gotta travel with a laptop and scanner with ours...

Robert907

Observer
Sure is a nice example. Wonder if the growing number of 4x4 sprinter conversions will bring these back down from the stratosphere...

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member

Sure is a nice example. Wonder if the growing number of 4x4 sprinter conversions will bring these back down from the stratosphere...

Most Syncro don't sell for $80K+, unlike what you may have seen on GoWesty a few years ago...at this price, you can expect to see it on the market for some time.

You can still find "starter" starting at $10-$15 for a stock Vanagon Tin Top, and plenty of Westfalia in the $30k range.

Check TheSamba for a full range:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?submit=yes&type=text&section[]=55&keywords=syncro

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2096895

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2147716

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2128450

The Sprinter 4x4 has not changed this market.
A Sprinter 4x4 starts at $65K and that's for an empty shell. Add any sort of camper conversion and you are easily at $80K+ minimum, so realistically easily $40k-$50K more than a good typical Syncro.
And while it is a 4x4 van, the comparison pretty much stops there. It is a much bigger/larger/complex vehicle, with overall less off-road abilities but much better on-road features...

I would say the #vanlife movement has had much more of an impact...

:)

Triumphdog

Adventurer
My Syncro will be for sale soon. Prices are all over the place. Very few are built like this one.
I'd never pay $90K for a Syncro! If you showed me a $90K 4x4 sprinter built out with same amenities it would be well above $100K.

BTW...my asking price will be closer to $30k

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles