Personal Items

camp4x4

Adventurer
$100 for that Eagle Creek bag. Basically does the same thing a $15 milsurp seabag will do. Although it is a lot prettier.

If by "does the same thing" you mean carry stuff... yeah, so would a bandana tied around your clothes for that matter. Your feet do basically the same thing as a car, and walkin's a lot cheaper... :********:

hobostick11.jpg

Come on man, how about contributing to the conversation without **************** on other people's contributions?

Foggy

I'll have to check out some of TNF options, seems like they get a good rating. I like the bullet ruck idea from GoRuck. I have a GR1 that is my work/travel bag so that might just do the trick

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I am still using a backpack... a day pack/overnight size >30 liters. This then can double for a hiking pack when I head out from camp and need to carry the essentials. If I KNOW I am not walking/hiking/playing then I usually use a small duffel bag. Soft bags are key.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I use and love front runner flat packs. The fold totally flat when not in use. They're semi rigid, rectangular shape so they stack easily. Carry handles on them. Clear label pockets on the front to identify them. They aren't huge but I find that generally we (wife and I and two kids) can each have one with clothes, one for kids toys, one for kid diapers and wipes etc. It is super easy to organize with them and easy to stack and or carry inside or in a hotel/family members house if needed while traveling.

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/front-runner-flatpack-storage-box.html

I used to always use duffel bags but they don't stack especially well, they collapse and get hard to find things in them etc.

Scoutman

Explorer
We love our set of NF medium duffel bags and have been using them for over 3 years with no issues. Absolute bomber bag. Each of us has our own and for week long trips we take them all. For weekend and extended weekend trips, boys in one, girls in the other. They'll easily hold a week's worth of cloths, shoes, toiletries, jacket, pillow, etc.

Here's our family of 4 packed and ready to hit the road. I would like to try out an x-small bag for single person, couple night trips.

Scoutman

Explorer
We love our set of NF medium duffel bags and have been using them for over 3 years with no issues. Absolute bomber bag. Each of us has our own and for week long trips we take them all. For weekend and extended weekend trips, boys in one, girls in the other. They'll easily hold a week's worth of cloths, shoes, toiletries, jacket, pillow, etc.

Here's our family of 4 packed and ready to hit the road. I would like to try out an x-small bag for single person, couple night trips.
Picture
fb70dc9029a75fd917171339403e0b4c.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

rayra

Expedition Leader
If by "does the same thing" you mean carry stuff... yeah, so would a bandana tied around your clothes for that matter. Your feet do basically the same thing as a car, and walkin's a lot cheaper... :********:

hobostick11.jpg

Come on man, how about contributing to the conversation without **************** on other people's contributions?

You mean like you just did, you ***?

My first comment to this topic was specifically addressing that a rigid box wastes a lot of room, a soft bag is better. The comment you are whinging about is pointing out that spending a lot of money for a soft bag isn't needed either. Having actually used seabags, lived out of seabags, I know how durable they are and given their pricing, what a value they are. So the only one "****************" on anything in this topic is YOU. I've done a lot of 'How To' topics around here, hundreds of thousands of views altogether, and it is amusing as hell to have someone basically slander me over some imagined sleight. And to have it done with such ironic lack of self-awareness as you've just exhibited.

Last edited:

DGarman

What could go wrong?
I've been using Military surplus bags for a while..... for clothes, cooking gear, food, survival stuff, first aid, etc.
Specifically....... the Tanker Tool Bag, Mechanics Tool Bag, and the Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK).
The tool bags are made out of thick, durable canvas...... the IFAK is made from some sort of nylon that seems to be equally durable.....

The Tanker Tool Bag is perfect (for me) for clothes...... I only carry a couple extra sets of clothes for a trip...... no matter what the length..... I don't change my outfit every day.....
The Mechanics Tool Bag is good for..... well..... tools...... and also canned goods and cooking utensils...... it also makes a good bread bag...... you can keep it in a safe place so your hot dog buns don't get smooshed.....
The IFAK is good for..... well..... first aid stuff..... silverware, spices (salt and pepper), one of those tiny stoves, canister for said stove..... matches, TP, etc...... I have one that carries a Zippo lighter, fluid, flints, a wick, magnesium firestarter, and several Fatwood sticks..... to get a fire going in bad weather......

The best part about MilSurp bags is that they are relatively cheap...... built well....... and available new on Amazon!
https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Canva...20976834&sr=8-1&keywords=tanker+tool+bag&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-G-I-M...20976834&sr=8-2&keywords=tanker+tool+bag&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/MOLLE-Coyote...words=individual+first+aid+kit+pouch+military

NMC_EXP

Explorer
I'm a dirt bagger and I like the surplus USGI Aviator Kit bags. Tough and roomy.

Description

Large flyers bag, perfect for carrying camping gear or packing for a week long trip! Measures 23 1/2&#8243; x 13&#8243; x 19&#8243;. Zips closed with snapping cover flap. Cotton Duck material with straps for carrying made of cotton webbing. This bag may be used but they were built very durable to last many years. There is plenty of life left in this bag. The used condition gives it a cool vintage look. Originally used by the U.S. Air Force. A great collectible! Color: Sage Green. Used condition with some markings from previous users. Will function properly. NSN# 8460-00-606-8366. MADE IN USA.

https://colemans.com/shop/pouches-bags/kit-bag-u-s-g-i-flyers-used/

Colemans is a good outfit to deal with. They have a lot of various soft and hard containers.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I use and love front runner flat packs. The fold totally flat when not in use. They're semi rigid, rectangular shape so they stack easily. Carry handles on them. Clear label pockets on the front to identify them. They aren't huge but I find that generally we (wife and I and two kids) can each have one with clothes, one for kids toys, one for kid diapers and wipes etc. It is super easy to organize with them and easy to stack and or carry inside or in a hotel/family members house if needed while traveling.

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/front-runner-flatpack-storage-box.html

We've used the Flatpacks too. My wife was cross when I told her that's all the space she got for a week-long road/camping trip, but she made do (and found a few places to stash bigger items like 2nd shoes and a jacket). I've re-worked the storage area where we used to use them and they don't quite fit anymore (about 1" too tall), but I'm on the lookout for something similar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles