Personal Items

Foggy

So I do not have any drawers in my set up, yet. I do have a shelf built where I put my cooler on top and two action packers under. With my organization, one action packer is food and the other is camping items. I am finding less of a need for a backpack when car camping/overlanding. My question is - what does everyone use for their personal items? IE Clothes, Shoes, Misc small things. Do you find yourself using a tub or drawer or are you bringing a backpack anyway?

REDONE

[s]hard[/s]MEDIUM Core!
I've tried a couple things but found a dufflebag to be most utilitarian. I used a military footlocker for a while, but it takes up a lot of space and it's clunky so it has to be packed carefully to not be a missile. Coming from the Army and being a thru-hiker I used a backpack too, but when you got a car there's no reason to wear the same smelly pants and shirt for a week straight so a backpack get's pretty small. Also, the straps hang up and if it's got a frame, that's just a waste of space in a car. A reasonably sized duffle and a laundry bag (inside it) compresses to the amount of room you have, and unless you're bringing your beltbuckle collection isn't much of a missile hazard.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I use a waterproof backpack and stuff it behind the passenger seat. A duffle would probably be a lot more convenient to access though.

Foggy

I've tried a couple things but found a dufflebag to be most utilitarian. I used a military footlocker for a while, but it takes up a lot of space and it's clunky so it has to be packed carefully to not be a missile. Coming from the Army and being a thru-hiker I used a backpack too, but when you got a car there's no reason to wear the same smelly pants and shirt for a week straight so a backpack get's pretty small. Also, the straps hang up and if it's got a frame, that's just a waste of space in a car. A reasonably sized duffle and a laundry bag (inside it) compresses to the amount of room you have, and unless you're bringing your beltbuckle collection isn't much of a missile hazard.

That makes sense. Seems like a small duffel is the way to go. Since most camping packs have an internal fame, they are hard to compress and take up space like you mentioned.

Foggy

Agreed. Just curious what everyone uses. I always see videos regarding the kitchen set up and gear storage but nothing in the way of clothes, shoes and the others things you might keep inside your tent while camping.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I use a small duffle with a change of clothes. Always in the LR.
Started carrying my sleeping bag and blow up mattress, just in case. Lots of winter road closures and accidents on the CO road system. Fully outfitted for few days w/ food and water too.
The duffle seems to be a bit flexible and will fit about anywhere. Mostly it goes in a storage box behind the drivers seat that is part of the sleeping platform.

Foggy

All personal items go into waterproof, aluminum Enders cases. One 80L box per person - plenty for all personal items and some camping items thrown in on top.

These look great. Makes sense to use one box per person. With the Jeep, space is a bit limited, especially without a roofrack. But I like this idea.

OutOfBounds

Adventurer
My clothes, toiletry kit, book or e-reader and phone charging cables all go in my Arcteryx Covert Case C/O. Basically it's a high end carry on duffle bag.

When I settle into camp for a few days, my wallet, keys, and phone get tucked into it as well so I don't lose them.

I also bring a GoRuck Bullet pack for day hikes or when I need to carry a few items on a short excursion.

These are also airline travel bags. I can carry both on an airline and be good to go for 1 - 2 weeks.

Both are relatively expensive but you'll never need to buy bags again. Buy once, cry once. :)

arcteryx-s16-covert-case-c-o-carbon-copy.jpg

6225442429351260db415fd99d8e2af5.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
A soft bag or stuff sack would be best since it can be crammed into all sorts of odd-shaped spaces.

And you should at least take a day pack, in case you break down far from help. Then you can load it up with essentials for the hike out. Better yet keep a proper pack packed for any time you hike out of site of your camp / vehicle. Never know when you or someone else might get lost or have a medical emergency. And there you are with some essentials right on you, right there.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I use a relatively smallish canvass bag with handles; e-book reader assorted cords, 2 pair of jeans 2 shirts & a light jacket socks etc & the next to the cot tap light fit fine.
...for day hikes I use a butt pack, if I bring more than the munchie/sandwich belt bag and canteen.
I like soft bags that can be (carefully) stuffed in to place in the open/unoccupied areas of the vehicle for soft things.
Enjoy!

robert

Expedition Leader
Weather resistant duffels; primarily old model North Face Base Camp duffels* but I've also got another that I can't recall the name of right now that I throw my bedding in. They've survived a lot of travel abuse and I like that they can be put down on the wet ground and that they do a good job of keeping dust out.

*Not as big a fan of the new style TNF Base Camp Duffels with the different carry handles but they never asked my opinion.

coop74

Old Camping Dude
small roll top water proof bag. Hold a weeks worth of clothes, folds down empty to near nothing. Can be used to collect water in an emergency, and often can be found with straps like a back pack

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
I'm a huge fan of the North Face Base Camp Duffel bags. Ultra durable, waterproof (to a point), and a good variety of sizes. Having the backpack straps on them is also a nice feature, in case you have to haul them around. Bags are weatherproof enough to be strapped to the roof with little worry.

I tend to use a size small for up to 4ish days of a trip, medium is a large step up from that. Been using the same small TNF duffel for about 8 years now with decent amount of travel, and it played boat bag for fishing on and off for a few summers. My medium bag currently holds a 4 person ground tent + fly, tons of room leftover. XS bag was a tool bag for a bit, now is my climbing gear bag.

camp4x4

Adventurer
Eagle Creek Cargo Hauler Duffel 60L

I used to use my lightweight camping backpack but I've found the rare times when I actually want to use the shoulder straps the ones on this duffel bag are sufficient. I also use Eagle Creek Pack-It organizers to keep shirts, undwear/socks, and other items in their own bags within the bag. I find it makes pulling out specifically what I'm looking for easier.

2018011810031045329_lrg.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
$100 for that Eagle Creek bag. Basically does the same thing a $15 milsurp seabag will do. Although it is a lot prettier.

Same goes for the 'Seabagaroo' ;)

seabagaroo1.jpg
seabagaroo2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles