Anyone add a jumpseat/3rd seat to cargo van build?

outdoornate65

Adventurer
Happy Friday guys.

Seems I might be converting to the "Van Life" soon....hoping to build-out a cargo van.

Since the van will be my daily driver and I have a couple teenage kids still at home, I need a third seat.

I've seen the jumpseat kits you can buy that go between the two front seats. Certainly an option but restricts access to the back of the van.

Has anyone found resources for a single seat mount behind the two front seats? I was hoping to avoid a second row of seats in favor of a single jumpseat.

Realize it cuts into the living space in the van but I have to have the third seat....at least for a couple more years.

I welcome ideas/pictures.

Thanks,

Nate

MarcusBrody

I haven't done it, but you can with the correct hardware. The rear seats for my Transit Connect just bolt on rails directly to the flat floor load. They're individual, fairly small, and fold up, so they might an ideal jumpseat for this type of build. You would just need to make sure that you were bolting them to something solid.

It looks like you can get a single Transit seat with an integrated seatbelt, which would make things easier. I can't tell if it's the same super adaptable mounting system though or if they fold.

Theshwed

I installed a bestop trailmax folding rear seat for a Wrangler in my e350 cargo. I set it so that it folds tight against the captains chairs to maximize cargo space. I used some custom scab plates for reinforcement and weld nuts to mount to so the floor is flat when removed.

We only have a lap belt back there so it is not to today's safety standards by any means. Ours is only used for people moving between trailheads/river take outs, etc. I am sure shoulder belts and mounts can be found in a scrap yard.

sackettmw

It looks like you can get a single Transit seat with an integrated seatbelt, which would make things easier. I can't tell if it's the same super adaptable mounting system though or if they fold.

I have a single Transit seat and a double. The legs that come on the singles are slightly different. They hook the same in the front but the single bolts in in the back. Still easy to remove, just not quick release. I am going to change the single seat to quick release style legs but I wonder if there is a reason for the bolt down in the back. May be less stable in side impact because it is a narrow base (just a guess).

I also thought about getting a swivel base (one that's rated for integrated belts) for the single seat.

The seats are nice, easy to find, and easy to take out. I was also only looking at seats with integrated belts when I got mine. I like the double seat but it feels more than twice as heavy when I'm moving it.

The single seat can sit behind the driver seat without blocking the isle. I mocked mine up there but decided on a different spot for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles