Suspension Seats - Cheaper options?

mvdw

Looking at suspension seats for Jap trucks; has anyone fitted anything other than Stratos or OEM seats? Any success with Corbeau seats, for example the baja-xrs (can't post a link due to restrictions, but google will find it).

I realise there would have to be adapter plates fitted, but from what I can see these seats are about $1k AUD a pair rather than $5k for stratos.

Any experience with Isuzu, Fuso, or the new Hino welcome (I haven't bought a truck yet - still investigating options). Particularly interested in the steps/process required for compliance in Australia.

Last edited:

kerry

Expedition Leader
I have a Stratos in my FG. I can completely assure you that it is not worth $5k. I bought it new and unused on Ebay for about $400 or so and that was pushing its value in my view.

gait

Explorer
I describe my stratos as "best of a bad lot",

the whole seat (squab and back) move up and down, adjustable tension springs in the back. Which is quite different to the rubber bands under the seat of the baja ... I've failed to find a useful explanation of what is meant by "suspension".

skippythedog

Observer
I just spent $1300 to have my seat upholstered in a Mercedes grade leather....reinforced the weak center of the pan, added about 1.5" to the front, 2" to the left and 1.5" to the right (so the handbrake still clears), dual density foam, storage pocket to the back...couldn't be happier....

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I have a Stratos in my FG. I can completely assure you that it is not worth $5k. I bought it new and unused on Ebay for about $400 or so and that was pushing its value in my view.

Could not agree more.
In my opinion they are definitely not worth the money they charge for them, but as far as I know, they are the only "approved" suspension seat for a Fuso in Australia.

PilbaraFG637

Anyone tried Isri suspension seat range?

Used in a lot of mining machines and buses for their extreme comfort, conform to all relevant seat adr compliance?

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Yep, that's the big issue, the height. I tried Nationals at first, not impressed too much and they were too high for me. Stratos are about the only game in town for suspension seats for the Canters.

When I go back to Unimog I'll go back to Isri seats.

dan85

Observer
personally i dont have suspension seats and I dont know if they are worth it to be honest. With some decent shocks its an ok ride and a set of comfy fixed seats would be better in my opinion than suspension seats. I find the movement puts me off when offroad when i have drive trucks with suspension seats in an offroad type setting. Im planning on some nice commodore or falcon type fixed seats if i can get an engineer to agree to it for my NPS. I reckon $5000 of fuel is a better investment than $5000 in seats.

javajoe79

Fabricator
For those familiar with what's available, how are they suspended? Seems like the seat would have to sit up high enough off the cab to allow travel. I've seen seats in buses and semis but they have a ton of room between the floor and seat bottom. I've considered mounting my seats rigid in front then hanging from gas springs in the back but also captured to limit up movement.

Am I reading correctly that you often can't make your own parts in Australia? Or do they just have to conform to strict standards?

gait

Explorer
just Australian Design Rules (ADRs). Two main aspects for seats and seat belts are height available above squab and chain of fasteners to body, particularly area and thickness of "plate" and bolt sizes/strength. There's a system of engraved "modification plates" attached to the body and recorded against registration with third party engineers allowed to certify modifications. Changing seats can be two engineer consultations, one to agree design, second to inspect end result. Depends on the engineer but for diy basically their role is to accept or reject the design rather than create the design. Can be a bit of trial and error for the diy design. I was lucky with a Coaster bus as engineer happened to have appropriate fasteners. The design rules are the same but the process can vary a bit by state.

kerry

Expedition Leader
personally i dont have suspension seats and I dont know if they are worth it to be honest. With some decent shocks its an ok ride and a set of comfy fixed seats would be better in my opinion than suspension seats. I find the movement puts me off when offroad when i have drive trucks with suspension seats in an offroad type setting. Im planning on some nice commodore or falcon type fixed seats if i can get an engineer to agree to it for my NPS. I reckon $5000 of fuel is a better investment than $5000 in seats.

My wife agrees with you. I offered to find her a suspension seat but she prefers the original double passenger seat. Glad there are no seat swap government regulations in the USA.

Just had driver's seat bolsters on back and seat base partially removed and replaced with much higher density foam. Result is better as the seat keeps the shape better rather than flattening out. This means that whatever depth the bucket has in original form is largely maintained. Due to limitations of original cover I couldn't get the bolsters much larger. Cost $400 au which is probably pushing it. If you had a half decent seamstress/ male equivalent ,and some acceptable material I think the bolsters could be enlarged. The seat certain my feels more supportive. Doing it this way at least sidesteps the bureaucracy by using same frame and mounts.

Spanna 53

Kerry my wife doesn't,mind the standard double seat in our NPS .Last Christmas we treated ourselves to lambs wool seat covers not the synthetic type go over the top of the tomb stone head rest and fit very nicely on the sides and base .did four 750 kms days very comfy the joys of still working , will see how they go going to Broome .

javajoe79

Fabricator
just Australian Design Rules (ADRs). Two main aspects for seats and seat belts are height available above squab and chain of fasteners to body, particularly area and thickness of "plate" and bolt sizes/strength. There's a system of engraved "modification plates" attached to the body and recorded against registration with third party engineers allowed to certify modifications. Changing seats can be two engineer consultations, one to agree design, second to inspect end result. Depends on the engineer but for diy basically their role is to accept or reject the design rather than create the design. Can be a bit of trial and error for the diy design. I was lucky with a Coaster bus as engineer happened to have appropriate fasteners. The design rules are the same but the process can vary a bit by state.

Thanks. Good info. I am glad I don't have to go through that. I am confident in my fabrication skills and I wouldn't skimp on something dangerous like a seat mount but I have seen plenty of scary stuff done by others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles