Transform from camper to work van interior ideas?

Justgosurfin

I’m building a regular size e350 with a Cummins and 5 speed and will use ujoint’s kit for the 4wd.

I’ve got the Powertrain under control but now need to start thinking about how to make the thing somewhat livable when we do another big trip. Right now I just built a bed platform with hinge to store stuff underneath for the time being but I’d really love something that could either reduce in size or be (relatively) easy to put in/remove so I can use the back area for transporting stuff (I’m an engineer on a yacht so that can mean anything from small pumps and motors to large Inflateable toys (not that kind).

Any thoughts? In a perfect world again itd be great to incorporate keeping some kind of seating for 4 passengers. Considering a futon style bench seat or something like that. Then possibly putting a fold out cook top in the side door space....

Just wanted to bounce some ideas around before deciding. Thanks!

Is there a way to add pic from an iPhone here?

86scotty

Cynic
Here's my idea. I haul skids of freight during the week, hot shot work. i build cabinets over the wheel wells leaving a clear 4x8 space for 2 pallets.

Easy to add pics throught the Tapatalk app. That's how I did it here.
df83695f422478797b40d4b7abf4be82.jpg
be54680fd25aac5b49cbce7f19044140.jpg
eb7f9a6600bd6434f4c1441d416db9c7.jpg

Smoker

Observer
Really nice job on that interior. Am I correct in understanding that the bed platform is adjustable? Can you share some more details on the hardware or point me to your build thread if already documented? Thanks

Justgosurfin

Sweet! That is EXACTLY the idea what I was looking for. What are those brackets from? And how thick are the bed frame rails etc? Wondering how much is needed to support two people.

Jsweezy

Explorer
86scotty - I think you just nailed what 75% of the people in this section are looking for. Its beautiful.

Justgosurfin

Uhauler, do you have a pic of how that bench back slides into the square tube you have mounted there? Also what is that hi top from? Mine doesn’t have one but has too much work already into the engine to justify another swap. Im going to hunt for a top after I finish all the other running gear.

UHAULER

Explorer

Justgosurfin

I see it now. Looks great! Also stoked to see the rustoleum in action. My faded down to primer in some spots white is just so freakin rapey. I think I’ll give the rusto a try for now even if I do something more serious later.

86scotty

Cynic
Thanks y’all. It’s E-track and is pretty common in the shipping/trucking world. You can get it about anywhere. I found the black on EBay. Lots of different attachments for it too. The ones I used are slots for 2x4’s. The bed can be set at any level from floor to ceiling and tie downs can be used anywhere on it.

The bed is the 2x4’s with 3/4 ply on top and the reason it doesn’t flex is because the bed is short. It had to be to fit behind the removable seats. I sleep on it at an angle when it’s just me but it could be done longer of course depending on your floor plan.

For fiberglass tops contact Fiberine or user MSD here.
Super cheap at salvage yards if you can find one. Usually only a couple hundred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NuMexJoe

To expand on 86scotty's reply, the e-track attachments in the photo (e-track is available in horizontal and vertical track, in lengths 2 feet and upwards) are for any 2-by-X dimension lumber. Available at etrailer.com and elsewhere. Very nice, flexible utilitarian build!

86scotty

Cynic
Yep, I love Etrailer and have gotten lots of stuff from them over the years. Another place for E-track and L-track (which is the airline stuff with the round holes/slots, real name logistics track) is USCargocontrol. They have great prices and tons of stuff for about any kind of load securement.

I like the look of L-track but it's a little bit more expensive and I already had lots of straps and stuff for E-track. A lot of the high dollar conversion companies like Outside Van are putting L-track everywhere.

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/?gcli...mXIAwr3KB123GlqUJOBRgOIQ4vejfGzMaAnR3EALw_wcB

Justgosurfin

I knew that track stuff looked familiar. In grad school I helped a local piano tech once a week do piano moves. He had that stuff in his box truck. My back remembers it well. What did you use for the cabinet frame work and securing it? Did I miss a link to a build thread?

86scotty

Cynic
I knew that track stuff looked familiar. In grad school I helped a local piano tech once a week do piano moves. He had that stuff in his box truck. My back remembers it well. What did you use for the cabinet frame work and securing it? Did I miss a link to a build thread?

Not here but I'll copy one here soon. I have a thread on the Transit and Sportsmobile Forums but I haven't updated in awhile. If it's a quiet week at work I'll get it done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier