Saggy Gen 3 headliner

I keep coming back to the well because this joint provides the best DIY answers I have found anywhere.

The one-piece headliner on my 2001 Gen 3 has a pronounced sag that begins behind the sunroof and extends toward the back of the truck (see crappy photo). It’s unsightly and robs backseat passengers of head room and a recent affroad outing seemed to make it worse. I bought some heavy duty velcro strips with the intention of putting it back in place. Before removing the entire headliner I climbed inside and lodged a flashlight in the saggy gap and saw that the previous owner had beaten me to the idea — there are numerous velcro strips up and down the truck’s roof that even when pressed very firmly don’t do their job. Anyone tackle this successfully before? I did a lot of searching and found write-ups and photos re: removing headliners but no post specifically addressing a successful remedy for sagging. What’s the best bet – – another stab at lots of velcro or some form of glue? Thanks.

8B58B10C-C93B-483D-AC4D-720D1113FC85.jpg

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
If you want it to stick, use VHB (very high bond) 3M double sided tape.
It will be extremely difficult to remove this tape once it's applied.

Reactions: lev

zerodrift

Adventurer
I'd suggest trying 3M 90 spray contact adhesive. Make sure to follow directions carefully.

Largest issue with most adhesives used on headliners is that they all tend to weaken with heat. I've a build thread where I reupholster a headliner that could be your next step. It's a full afternoon project if you are proficient with the removal of interior plastic panels. Full day if you are not.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

KyleT

Explorer
I’ve done plenty of them. I would absolutely find a good one at the junkyard. Or pay a shop 200 to redo it. Its very easy to mess it up.

Also, usually the liner is sagging from water leaking and dissolving the foam. So look for leaks around the sunroof otherwise a fix will be pointless.

Oh and you can temp fix it with flat wall poster tacs. Heck you can measure it out and make it look factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Artisan

Adventurer
IF you are doing a headliner get a cheap spray gun and landau glue contact cement. Spray both sides and once dry stick them together. Use a hairdryer to go over the liner. Landau glue was used to glue fake vinyl tops to make them look like conv tops, hence the name. Reason tops drop is the foam backing deteriorates over time from heat. Make sure you take off all dried foam off the panel and the surface is clean.
Kevin

Last edited:

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I tried this once in a Honda Accord..........totally didn't work...made it worse. The adhesive turned the headliner color in the few places where I got it to stick half-assed. Then there were ripples in it......then I had to pull more down just to work on other areas. Basically a giant waste of time. We bought a new headliner and installed it in 3 hrs. I'm sure someone is an expert in this activity, but it was not my thing at all.

Thanks, all. I bought the double-sided tape and the 3M spray. I was looking for a solution that did not require disassembling trim and dropping the entire headliner. The tape proved tricky given tight quarters so I wedged the can through a seam, sprayed a liberal amount of the 3M spray on flush surfaces and then propped the headliner up with a shower rod and some wedged broomsticks. That remedied the saggy section over the back seats but I'm still fighting sag around the borders of the sunroof. Thanks again for all input.

F794D2F3-7273-42C7-8E02-93A6FA4E4AA3.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles