Tire Recommendations for GMT800 Tahoe?

Title is obvious, I'm looking to get new tires for my Tahoe for 17 inch rims. Not trying to go with anything crazy. I will be putting a leveling kit in soon.
Tires would need to be streetable, don't want too much road noise. Something that is primarily a street tire and decent off-road tire.
I was considering the Cooper AT3 since it has a decent treadwear rating however I'm not sure about the road noise.
Budget is around 500-600
Would possibly go up to a 33" tire if it is cheap but I think a 31 would be best for my application since the truck sees 90% street miles 10% off-road
Recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Old Griz

I have Goodyear Duratracs 265.75.16 on my 01 k2500 suburban. They have around 35,000 miles on them and I have been pretty impressed with them. I ran BFG ATs since 96 but they were out of them so I got the duratracs. I got them for $865.00 after a $50 rebate.

I have Goodyear Duratracs 265.75.16 on my 01 k2500 suburban. They have around 35,000 miles on them and I have been pretty impressed with them. I ran BFG ATs since 96 but they were out of them so I got the duratracs. I got them for $865.00 after a $50 rebate.

It's a bit outside of my budget but I'd definitely consider it if I can't find anything else.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I wanted to keep the 17s since I plan to upgrade the brakes to the GMT900 setup which requires 17 inch wheels if I remember correctly

Not sure which brakes you are installing, but I know that on our 2500 the 16's fit over the stock brakes that are bigger than the 1500 brakes.

I never noticed the noise with my AT3’s.

How do they perform off-road? And how do they wear?

Not sure which brakes you are installing, but I know that on our 2500 the 16's fit over the stock brakes that are bigger than the 1500 brakes.

They are the 2007 and up Tahoe brakes, they require a 17 inch wheel to clear the rotor and caliper, I want to do the upgrade because these brakes are pretty bad at stopping the truck, definitely a lot of room for improvement.

I have a GMT900 with 17” wheels, I have 285/70/17 big k02. E rated version..love them, great for off-road and hwy, very quiet ...have used for long trips and lots of dirt in 4 seasons from Montana to Arizona... I live on gravel road and even at fast travel, no puntures...

I switched from 265 hankook dyna pro... the bfg is far superior in noise and ride and traction...

Bit out of my price range but if I can find a used set I'd consider them.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I have the Cooper ATPs (the Discount Tire version of the A/T3) on my Expedition (similar size/weight to a Tahoe). I like them. Road noise is minimal. I've had them for 11k miles and wear seems to be minimal (rotated twice now). Snow traction is good if I behave.

A friend of mine works at Discount Tire and told me that the KO2s seem to wear a little faster than the ATPs- and the ATPs cost a little less.

Sold!

02TahoeMD

Explorer
2 inch spacers and F150 key crank lift on my Tahoe, I ran a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers in 295/70/ R17 for 10 years. I had close to 50 K on them and got rid of them a month ago because the rubber compound was starting to get hard and lose traction in the wet, there was still usable tread on them. They rubbed a little on the front wheel wells at maximum steering wheel lock, otherwise no issues.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I put Yokohama Geolander A/T-S 265/70-17 (stock size) on mine when I got the vehicle, but it was a time-crunch compromise and budget choice. The vehicle needed a pair of tires replaced immediately and I hadn't made any suspension changes as of yet. They've worked fine for three years in the desert southwest and handled last year's heavy rain well enough. And they cost ~$600 for the 4 back then, so they were a good value. I've only put about 18k mi on them in 3yrs, they are holding up very well.

I could readily go with 285s now, but don't feel the need and any bigger start having rubbing troubles and too big an impact on my wallet.

suburbanlevel170109.jpg

eta In fact I probably ought to sell them this year while they still have a good bit of life left in them and use that to offset the price increase to some 285s

I put Yokohama Geolander A/T-S 265/70-17 (stock size) on mine when I got the vehicle, but it was a time-crunch compromise and budget choice. The vehicle needed a pair of tires replaced immediately and I hadn't made any suspension changes as of yet. They've worked fine for three years in the desert southwest and handled last year's heavy rain well enough. And they cost ~$600 for the 4 back then, so they were a good value. I've only put about 18k mi on them in 3yrs, they are holding up very well.

I could readily go with 285s now, but don't feel the need and any bigger start having rubbing troubles and too big an impact on my wallet.

suburbanlevel170109.jpg

eta In fact I probably ought to sell them this year while they still have a good bit of life left in them and use that to offset the price increase to some 285s

That's my thinking behind it too, I really don't want to have rubbing issues and have to cut up my bumper to fit a little more tire.

FWIW I hated the AT3s on my Rover. Really happy with the KO2s on the truck.

What did you dislike about them?

ckupq

Observer
Close to the same. On my Sierra 1500 I have 285/70/17 Mastercraft AXT's (Cooper's house brand) I like them. I got 40K on them now and I expect to get 15K more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles