WTB: Aluminum Recovery Hitch

hovenator

Explorer
I am looking for an aluminum recovery hitch. Preferably the elusive Viking Offroad hitch or a Factor55 hitch. Pics are what I am looking for. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    14.3 KB · Views: 397
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 112

badfysh

Adventurer
Also, be very careful about choosing an aluminum hitch. It cannot withstand substantial loads encountered during multiple snatch pulls or yanking. When I did the analysis for Viking on their on their hitch, I advised against 35,000+ loads due to yield values. So ultimately, Thor went with steel.

Aluminum is fine for static loads at higher numbers but shock load numbers aren't good for 60/70 series aluminum alloys.

azarmadillo

Adventurer
What's wrong with just using an aluminum hitch? Flip it upside down and put a shackle on it.

Not designed for anything but towing. DO NOT use a ball mount for any type of recovery. Ever. It has an extremely high probability of failure in that circumstance and damage and injuries are highly likely.

Last edited:

hovenator

Explorer
Hmmmm, I thought the Viking was aluminum. I have an all steel Warn shackle mount, was just trying to save some weight where I could. If you're interested in selling the Viking, let me know.

CampStewart

Observer
Also, be very careful about choosing an aluminum hitch. It cannot withstand substantial loads encountered during multiple snatch pulls or yanking. When I did the analysis for Viking on their on their hitch, I advised against 35,000+ loads due to yield values. So ultimately, Thor went with steel.

Aluminum is fine for static loads at higher numbers but shock load numbers aren't good for 60/70 series aluminum alloys.

I am just curious about the load and/or number of cycles that you predict cracks will start to form? I would have thought that with a kinetic rope or strap that the shock load would not have been high enough to cause problems in the number of times it would have been used.

badfysh

Adventurer
Ilure

I am just curious about the load and/or number of cycles that you predict cracks will start to form? I would have thought that with a kinetic rope or strap that the shock load would not have been high enough to cause problems in the number of times it would have been used.

I did not run fatigue/lifecycle. I only advised that displacement, stress, and strain numbers were not adequate for static pull and shock load at particular numbers. I am not a stress engineer so unable to "sign off" one way or another but those external devices increase load. I only performed design validation tests prior to and as a basis for material selection.

Please note that even the factor 55 states 51,000lbs ultimate failure, or something to that effect. And they clearly also state, rated at 9500 lbs. and do not exceed stated pull rating (9500lbs). Aluminum will yield BEFORE it will break, ie: displacement. And basically, the statements on factor 55 are in line with that, don't exceed 9500lbs. For the record, I'm not making any statement for or against factor 55, that's up to them to qualify their products. I'm just saying that aluminum isn't good for high load situations. Just choose wisely for your needs and consider safety first.

Viking may have done other things later but at that time (2009/2010) and the item you pictured, it was steel.

hovenator

Explorer
Excellent info. Wish Viking was still making that version of the recovery hitch. It sorta looks like the one from TJM....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles