Little Willy: M116A3 RTT Trailer Build

AllTerrainJK

Weekend Warrior
Progress

Got the rack finished with the gas struts installed so I did a test lift with the RTT.

Learned a few things: 80 lbs struts on each corner is way too much. Also difficult to elevate the rack myself. Instead of playing with different poundages to get it just right I chose to order 4 linear actuators from Windy Nation. They were more affordable than I thought at $208 with brackets shipped to my door.
So this weekend I'll be installing those, a Harbor Freight tongue box for electrical bits, and new trailer lights.

AllTerrainJK

Weekend Warrior
This! This is wicked cool!
Sorry I haven't posted an update. Little Willy has made good progress since my last post. I'll compose a proper update later today or tomorrow as I'm traveling this morning.

Regarding the linear actuators: I wish I hadn't wasted $160 on gas struts before switching to actuators. They are the cat's ******! I'll get more specific in the forthcoming update.
I just finished reading your build thread and see you Live in North Carolina. I've been in Jacksonville visiting my son over the weekend and will be heading to Fort Bragg this morning for work (hopefully in the near future permanently?).

wvtradbow

Observer
Looks great,what size square steel "tubing" for a better word did you buy that to make your slides and rack ???

CarolinaBlue

Guess I'm jumping straight to actuators!
Sorry I haven't posted an update. Little Willy has made good progress since my last post. I'll compose a proper update later today or tomorrow as I'm traveling this morning.

Regarding the linear actuators: I wish I hadn't wasted $160 on gas struts before switching to actuators. They are the cat's ******! I'll get more specific in the forthcoming update.
I just finished reading your build thread and see you Live in North Carolina. I've been in Jacksonville visiting my son over the weekend and will be heading to Fort Bragg this morning for work (hopefully in the near future permanently?).

Same! popcorn ready and looking forward to an update. I probably missed your swing thru NC but would have been great to see this setup in person. Thanks for the updates.

RogueWon

Looks great,what size square steel "tubing" for a better word did you buy that to make your slides and rack ???

I'll defer to @AllTerrainJK 's eventual response, but in the interim, looking at the play between the receiver and down tube, I'm going to guess around 1.5" down and 2" up ... can't comment on wall thickness.

Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 8.45.33 PM.png

I'm working this out right now on my end - hoping to make 1.25/1/8 fit into a 1.50/1/8 (i'm going to have to skin the 1.25 a bit) - OR, I'll go with a 1.50 base at .065 (just over 1/16 wall)

We'll see what the result is by Friday.

AllTerrainJK

Weekend Warrior
Looks great,what size square steel "tubing" for a better word did you buy that to make your
I'll defer to @AllTerrainJK 's eventual response, but in the interim, looking at the play between the receiver and down tube, I'm going to guess around 1.5" down and 2" up ... can't comment on wall thickness.

View attachment 447657

I'm working this out right now on my end - hoping to make 1.25/1/8 fit into a 1.50/1/8 (i'm going to have to skin the 1.25 a bit) - OR, I'll go with a 1.50 base at .065 (just over 1/16 wall)

We'll see what the result is by Friday.

Nice detective work. The lower verticals are in fact 2x2x3/16 and the upper verticals and rack are 1.5x1.5x.120.
The actuators work so well I am able to lift the rack with my 200 lbs Tuff Stuff Overland Elite RTT mounted even to the right edge with no binding.
I am still at Fort Bragg through tomorrow however my trailer is at home in Michigan. I’m here interviewing for a promotion. Hopefully I’ll be moving soon.
Today is an off day so after I check out the Fayetteville area I’ll update the thread and post pictures. Cheers.

AllTerrainJK

Weekend Warrior
Long overdue update!

After my wife and I struggled raising and lowering the loaded rack with 80 lbs gas struts, I opted to change over to linear actuators from Windy Nation. So strut mounts were cut off and, after some test fits, actuator brackets welded on. Since this change also requires onboard power I purchased a group 27 deep cycle marine battery from Sam's Club. If memory serves it has 105 am/h capacity. I'll get into the electrical portion in a bit. Here is the rack in the raised position with temporary wiring.

I was very impressed with the ease of transition from travel to deployed modes so I proceeded to paint.

At a future date the trailer body will be painted Billet Silver to match my Jeep but I will still be making some tweaks so OD green will suffice for now. I also mounted a Harbor Freight tongue box to house the electrical system. More to come soon including a full camp deployment!

AllTerrainJK

Weekend Warrior
Going with a coach battery necessitates a means to recharge it. Enter the Renology 100w solar kit. It comes complete with a 100w panel, 50amp charge controller and all necessary wiring for about $160. The leads from the panel to controller are 20ft long so you have flexibility to place the panel. Additional purchases were an adjustable stand for the panel and Anderson connectors at the tongue box. To make sure there is enough recharge capacity to suit my needs I cycled the rack 6 times. I then deployed the solar system to test the recharge time.

When I checked on it after 2hrs, the controller was already in float mode. At some point I'll make provisions for A/C shore and D/C to D/C vehicle recharging but for now the solar will work quite nicely.

jhalbrooks

I am interested in learning more about the actuators. For some reason I cannot see any of the last photos that you posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles