Little Willy: M116A3 RTT Trailer Build

AllTerrainJK

Weekend Warrior
I've been doing a ton of research on this forum. It truly amazes me the level of ingenuity on display. The purpose of this thread is to document my build for later referance, help with my thought process, and most importantly gain insight from those who have been down this road before. So if you have a suggestion or comment by all means post it.
Let's start wit the tow vehicle:
20170531_192231_zpsrchctqhg (1).jpg
2015 JK Willys Wheeler edition
The M116A3 is a 3/4 ton capacity flatbed trailer used as I understand it by the Marine Corps to haul generators. Let me tell you this is the most heavy duty 3/4 ton trailer I've ever seen. The previous owner built 14" sides, narrowed the inner fender wells, and added a tailgate. It also came with a Kodiak Canvas pick-up bed tent.

20170329_183138_zps1jiipexy.JPG
This is how we used it for 2 years.
More to follow.

Last edited:

AllTerrainJK

Weekend Warrior
So now it's time to put this trailer on a diet. I want it to have the same lug pattern as the Willys necessitating only one spare. Since it will also be dragged though rock gardens I wanted maximum ground clearance. I opted for a Timbren axleless suspension system, the 1tonne (2200 lbs), 4" lift with off road tires. The spindles are standard 3500 lbs enabling me to use 5 on 5 brake drums to match the Jeep. I also installed electric brakes. Of note: due to interference between the spindle arm and parking brake lever I had to rotate the backing plate 90°. I was able to use the existing parking brake cable assembly so that is a plus. Also needed 1.5" wheel spacers so the wheels clear the inner fenders.
I know pics or it didn't happen.
Axle removed. Each tire is 150 lbs!
20180211_105621.jpg
Timbren installed.
IMG_0060.jpg20180223_172256.jpg20180223_172223_HDR.jpg

Now to fabricate new tongue receiver omitting the surge brake and lunette ring.
20180223_125258.jpg

JB87

That seems like a good base to start with. What are your plans?
Do you know the weight of the trailer after you removed the HD axle?

thanks.

thanks.

For some weight saving calculations, check out a M101A1 build I did at http://www.adventurewest.org/2017/01/m101a1-axle-swap.html

TL;DR... what I removed:
112 lbs each for 9.00x16 military tire and Budd split ring wheel
208 lbs for the axle with drum brakes

The new axle and tire weights:
69.6 lbs for each 33x10.50 BFG tire (well worn) and steel 15" rims
65.8 lbs for the axle WITHOUT drum brakes

Running the math, I saved 42.4 lbs on each side by swapping the tires and wheels, and another 142.2 lbs by going to the Dexter axle. Total weight savings was 227 lbs.

RedM101A2

Very nice transformation. They are stout trailers. and well built. When new they cost the tax payers around $7,500.00 each.
Keep posting your progress. Looks great!

AllTerrainJK

Weekend Warrior

thanks.

For some weight saving calculations, check out a M101A1 build I did at

TL;DR... what I removed:
112 lbs each for 9.00x16 military tire and Budd split ring wheel
208 lbs for the axle with drum brakes

The new axle and tire weights:
69.6 lbs for each 33x10.50 BFG tire (well worn) and steel 15" rims
65.8 lbs for the axle WITHOUT drum brakes

Running the math, I saved 42.4 lbs on each side by swapping the tires and wheels, and another 142.2 lbs by going to the Dexter axle. Total weight savings was 227 lbs.
Probably about the same as listed by mikeprince except the HMMWV tires on mine were 150 lbs each. I also removed the surge brake and drop leg. The manufacturer plate lists the trailer at 800 lbs empty. Offsetting the 60-70 lbs in steel for the sides I'd guess it's 550ish as it sits.
I will be adding a telescopic rack for the Tuff Stuff Overland Elite RTT which I already purchased. There will eventually be either some type of box or lockable lid in the bed. I'll also be fabricating mounts for 2 kayaks.
Sorry mikeprince I had to remove your link from my reply as I'm evidently not allowed to post them. How do I get permission to links and add them to my signature?

JB87

Thanks for the quick replies. Still debating on getting a M116 or M101.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AllTerrainJK

Weekend Warrior
Made good progress this weekend, got the rack built. I tack welded the vertical posts but the rack platform is fully welded. It's just sitting on the posts. After line up and weld the posts to the rack, I'll finish burning in the posts. This week I'm making brackets for the gas struts. Hopefully this weekend it will be ready for testing and paint.
20180304_175523.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke