1st gen buying advice - S/C worth it?

And... I recently totalled my Xterra :( :(

Have a bunch of aftermarket parts that can be salvaged, so looking to replace with another 1st gen. Had 32s (KO2s) on it with Shrock bumpers, it was definitely a bit underpowered when loaded up. Thinking of maybe getting a 03-04 Supercharged...

Also, it seems all the used car posting are for the Supercharged ones, not sure where all the NA ones went?? Hoping to get something with low milage, found one 04 S/C with only 98,000km! Looks to be in mint shape, but curious if it's actually bad to get such an old vehicle with so little milage - I heard that engines actually wear out prematurely if they aren't driven much. This trouc would mean it only drove 7000km/year on average since 04... not much. Thoughts?

I think if I get an S/C I'll end up going with 33 sized tires for extra clearance. I'm guessing fuel economy will be non-existent :/

broncobowsher

Adventurer
The VG33 in the first gen is V8 fuel economy with 4-cylinder power.
The supercharger bumps that to carburted big block fuel economy with V6 power.
Premium fuel is needed or it drops boost/timing and the V6 power goes back to 4-cylinder power without gaining any fuel economy.

I wouldn't touch a supercharged version.

Darren2001

The S/C’ed 1st gens are just fine, as long as they were maintained and cared for....like any other vehicle.

My first gen is N/A with 32s. Definitely underpowered but it works. I’d have no hesitation at all to buy a S/C’ed one.

Bigfnhammer

This could be anywhere
If you can swallow the premium gas bill go for it, I have a 02 supercharged, Id say the power is more than adequate. fuel mileage is anywhere from 13-18L on 100k. I'm running 32's and I pretty much never have to downshift on hills on the highways. Mind you I have headers and a rebuilt engine..

Although If I were to do it all again Id get a second gen and titan swap it.

Is there more 'stress' on the engine with it being supercharged?

Like, I know that for the S/C version, Nissan upgraded the exhaust manifolds from the early 1st gen cast ones because they kept cracking. How about seals/gaskets/etc?

The reason I ask, is because buying a used vehicle, you have no idea what the history or quality of maintenance was...

Jeffer949

Observer
I personally would stay away from a supercharger. I have an 03 frontier and stock it was a dog. Last winter I installed reground Camshafts. Totally woke the truck up. The cams that it comes with stock are super tiny to meet emissions. It makes the engine work so hard that your MPG suffers and its a pain to drive. I installed http://schneidercams.com/270H_VG30.aspx these cams and really made the truck enjoyable. AND..... I actually got a boost in MPG. Before I was getting around 17 on highway trips when I kept it under 75mph. Im getting in the 19-20 mph keeping it under 75mph again. If I was to do it again I would probably go with one step down. like with the 131H grind to gain a little more bottom.

Bigfnhammer

This could be anywhere
Is there more 'stress' on the engine with it being supercharged?

Like, I know that for the S/C version, Nissan upgraded the exhaust manifolds from the early 1st gen cast ones because they kept cracking. How about seals/gaskets/etc?

The reason I ask, is because buying a used vehicle, you have no idea what the history or quality of maintenance was...

Not really, Its only running 8lbs of boost, and has a lower compression ratio, engine wise it's fine, what it does add is one more piece of the engine that could get a fault in it. (my pumping group bearings are noisy and the snout has a lot of play in it)
Premium gas being over 1.50 a liter bites too.

Bearded_Hombre

My advice is if you're looking for power or MPG....don't buy an Xterra. I thought going up the summit on CA80 was bad when I was stock....33's lol I might as well get behind the big rigs and put on my flashers too. And it is VERY thirsty now. Not very excited to see what its going to be like when I get 35's :Wow1:

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
If you can swallow the premium gas bill go for it!

In the states where I am living premium fuel is a $0.30/gallon "Premium" (More) over the cost regular grade gas. At 15 MPG and driving 15,000 miles a year your only talking an $300.00 EXTRA for premium fuel for the damn whole year over purchasing regular gas for the same year. That's less than $30/month.

That extra $300/year is not even worth talking about IF the vehicle you want requires "Premium" fuel and that vehicle will meet your wants and needs. IF that extra $300/year is that big a deal in someone's life they have far bigger problems than what truck to buy!

Don't even worry about the fact that an S/C Extera requires "Premium" fuel as it's NOT a big extra expense!

Darren2001

In the states where I am living premium fuel is a $0.30/gallon "Premium" (More) over the cost regular grade gas. At 15 MPG and driving 15,000 miles a year your only talking an $300.00 EXTRA for premium fuel for the damn whole year over purchasing regular gas for the same year. That's less than $30/month.

That extra $300/year is not even worth talking about IF the vehicle you want requires "Premium" fuel and that vehicle will meet your wants and needs. IF that extra $300/year is that big a deal in someone's life they have far bigger problems than what truck to buy!

Don't even worry about the fact that an S/C Extera requires "Premium" fuel as it's NOT a big extra expense!

Valid point.

However, it's Xterra....not Extera.

Also, to the OP. Xterras, specifically 1st gens, get pretty poor gas mileage. But it's not much worse than any other non-aerodynamic suv from that era. I average around 17ish on the highway with my 32s. Better than an 80 series with the I6.

bushnut

Adventurer
I don't know about you guys but I didn't buy a 4 wheel drive vehicle, installed heavy Mud Terrain tires and load it with camping gear just to worry about fuel consumption. If that was my worry I would have purchased a Leaf. And as for fuel consumption and driving well a 747 jet plane uses more fuel on take off than I will use in an whole year. And lets not even talk about what a single F16 burns during a week of training. my eco- conscience is clear.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
All those other vehicles you list have much larger fuel tanks. How often do you want to stop for fuel? I remember towing with a 1st gen Frontier (non-supercharged) and one tank of gas didn't even get me 100 miles. I don't think any of them got me 150 miles. When you drive thirsty vehicles, small fuel tanks really suck.

Darren2001

All those other vehicles you list have much larger fuel tanks. How often do you want to stop for fuel? I remember towing with a 1st gen Frontier (non-supercharged) and one tank of gas didn't even get me 100 miles. I don't think any of them got me 150 miles. When you drive thirsty vehicles, small fuel tanks really suck.

Absolutely true. That is one downside and unfortunately I don't think there are any aftermarket solutions for bigger tanks. Just carry more gas cans I suppose lol.

Jeffer949

Observer
Absolutely true. That is one downside and unfortunately I don't think there are any aftermarket solutions for bigger tanks. Just carry more gas cans I suppose lol.
There is a place to order a bigger tank. I know i saw jt on here somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bearded_Hombre

I personally would stay away from a supercharger. I have an 03 frontier and stock it was a dog. Last winter I installed reground Camshafts. Totally woke the truck up. The cams that it comes with stock are super tiny to meet emissions. It makes the engine work so hard that your MPG suffers and its a pain to drive. I installed http://schneidercams.com/270H_VG30.aspx these cams and really made the truck enjoyable. AND..... I actually got a boost in MPG. Before I was getting around 17 on highway trips when I kept it under 75mph. Im getting in the 19-20 mph keeping it under 75mph again. If I was to do it again I would probably go with one step down. like with the 131H grind to gain a little more bottom.

What size tires do you run? I've been thinking about doing a rebuild on my motor too and it's good to see some proof of the possibilities. Granted I do believe I will have to do a "hot smog" as most of the mods are not carb legal in CA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles