BeefCake's build...a roll your own Earthroamerish family expo rig

lostih

Observer
I'm impressed! Looks great.

Are you using the gauges to fill fronts from the cab?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yup. I got the dual channel gauge and switches. Right now one switch runs the fronts and one does the rears. Several folks have suggested the four channel automatic systems but this was more wallet friendly and seems fairly basic which I like. We’ll see how it works after I get some more time loaded and unloaded with it. I like that I was able to separate the switches from the gauge and mount them inconspicuously. I’d post a pic...but the point is you can’t see them so it’s kinda boring :-/. One down side is that the switches exhaust into the cab which is noisy and smells like air that’s been in a tire...ew. Might have to see if I can pipe that somewhere else...

java

Expedition Leader
I'm impressed! Looks great.

Are you using the gauges to fill fronts from the cab?

Yup. I got the dual channel gauge and switches. Right now one switch runs the fronts and one does the rears. Several folks have suggested the four channel automatic systems but this was more wallet friendly and seems fairly basic which I like. We’ll see how it works after I get some more time loaded and unloaded with it. I like that I was able to separate the switches from the gauge and mount them inconspicuously. I’d post a pic...but the point is you can’t see them so it’s kinda boring :-/. One down side is that the switches exhaust into the cab which is noisy and smells like air that’s been in a tire...ew. Might have to see if I can pipe that somewhere else...
Very cool, my only concern is tieing the sides together, I don't like the idea of forcing air from one side to the other in turns. It's like an anti anti sway bar....

I'll have to go back and look at your pics, sounds DIY able. Info on the bags used?

lostih

Observer
Yeah I’m curious about the anti anti sway bar too :)

Front bags: W01-358-5712
Rear bags: W01-358-5311

I think the rear bag is the bag that kelderman uses on the front. It’s the same but shorter (ride height of 8 vs 13 I think). If your truck has the shock on the exterior of the spring so you don’t have to fab new mounts for the shock this is a dead simple upgrade. The 1.5” leveling spacer at the top makes a great mount for the bag and makes hose routing easy. For the bottom you just have to make the spring bucket flat. I just torched a piece of 1/4” plate to fit and tacked it on. Just do some measuring for girth of the bag inflated...the spec says their max diameter is 9.1” which is a good deal more than stock springs...thus the offset on mine.

I actually would have preferred to stay with coils for simplicity, but the lighter coils are a different size on the rams...is that true in the f450/550 too? Once I was fabbing I decided to try this...I hope I don’t live to regret it with a hole in a bag someplace on the dalton highway. (Yet another reason to run each bag on its own circuit)

java

Expedition Leader
Kelderman uses 5323 bags I belive. I'm debating just making my own vs buying a pre done kit....

F450 and 550 use the same diameter springs. With integrated shock mount.
1c44392d5a020e2789ce79aa22677719.jpg
8f0963ab3f0e7fbfa8e477e2990a06cf.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
From @Bubblegoose1 build thread. Looks like a 5323 bag and 1/4 plate mounts. I don't have a torch, so 1/4" plate circles would suck.
407d1ada49dfad7196f0b7ba6da7ca2b.jpg

lostih

Observer
I just don’t get how they achieve the load numbers with that bag. It’s spec sheet says it’s rated for 2700lbs at 90psi...maybe it can go higher but I thought I read in the design guide or somewhere not to run them over 100. That doesn’t leave much room for error on our trucks. But kelderman has certainly done this a lot more than me and in rougher conditions so I’m sure they have it sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
I just don’t get how they achieve the load numbers with that bag. It’s spec sheet says it’s rated for 2700lbs at 90psi...maybe it can go higher but I thought I read in the design guide or somewhere not to run them over 100. That doesn’t leave much room for error on our trucks. But kelderman has certainly done this a lot more than me and in rougher conditions so I’m sure they have it sorted.

Haven't looked into the ratings, but who knows. Sounds like you way oversized yours!

I just know that's the kelderman leveling kit and that appears to be the tag on the bag used.

java

Expedition Leader
Install instructions (old...) say 8979 bag, and look different than the above pics, so they may have updated it since then.

lostih

Observer
Install instructions (old...) say 8979 bag, and look different than the above pics, so they may have updated it since then.

Yeah. I went at it from the other direction and just looked at load ratings in the firestone catalog and the bag I used was the only 9.1” diameter one that on paper carried the load. But something is off in real life...I imagine that’s what kelderman figured out.

java

Expedition Leader

Yeah. I went at it from the other direction and just looked at load ratings in the firestone catalog and the bag I used was the only 9.1” diameter one that on paper carried the load. But something is off in real life...I imagine that’s what kelderman figured out.
Very interested in how it drives loaded!

Sorry for derailing your thread....

A couple solenoids in the air lines between the bags could be an easy lock out solution to the anti anti sway bar issue.

Last edited:

lostih

Observer
I don’t believe in derailed threads...it’s all part of the process. I use this forum for research mostly so I welcome any and all data sources to chime in. Makes it easier for future people to understand how we got to the special blend of crazy that we are :)

lostih

Observer
I don’t believe in derailed threads...it’s all part of the process. I use this forum for research mostly so I welcome any and all data sources to chime in. Makes it easier for future people to understand how we got to the special blend of crazy that we are :)

b dkw1

Observer
I wouldn't get to hung up on spring rate. If it is bottoming out to easy at your desired ride height, throw a couple OZ's of anti-freeze in each bag. This will make them much more progressive. Firestone does not recommend over 100PSI for it's bags. Airbagit claims 150PSI.

lostih

Observer
From @Bubblegoose1 build thread. Looks like a 5323 bag and 1/4 plate mounts. I don't have a torch, so 1/4" plate circles would suck.

wow...those are short and squatty bags! The dodges use something different. For cutting stuff out...you might sniff around for a laser cutter. We have one here local that does stuff amazingly cheap. If I wasn't always in such a hurry its what I would definitely do. They can cut it for barely more than what I pay for material...and its beautiful.

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO

wow...those are short and squatty bags! The dodges use something different. For cutting stuff out...you might sniff around for a laser cutter. We have one here local that does stuff amazingly cheap. If I wasn't always in such a hurry its what I would definitely do. They can cut it for barely more than what I pay for material...and its beautiful.
Dodge 5500 uses the same setup as my Ford F450 pictured, with slight variation to the bracketry. You are just running more bag than bracketry for your lift. Be sure the extra bag length doesn't cause "banana bag" over time or under lower pressure, and rub any steel. An issue I have seen happen before.
b0b62e7783cfdb381c6e4139a17b1da5.jpg
b789cacb57066d811a3066f985622c22.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camshaft700