BeefCake's build...a roll your own Earthroamerish family expo rig

java

Expedition Leader
Very cool, I'm just under 12' tall too, no lift tho.

I'd avoid windows ok the front, more for branches breaking them though. I have head of water issues too.

Terra Ops

Adventurer
Looking Good! Its the experiments that make for a great sense of satisfaction:)
Be sure to get the automatic air compressor for those air bags. Air pressure is affected by so many things, its near impossible to maintain
desired level.

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
wow you are rocking and rolling on your build! seems like just the other day it was still a wrecked camper in your barn! amazing skills can't wait to see the final truck

lostih

Observer
Looking Good! Its the experiments that make for a great sense of satisfaction:)
Be sure to get the automatic air compressor for those air bags. Air pressure is affected by so many things, its near impossible to maintain
desired level.

Interesting. I had planned on just the mechanical in cab adjustable valves. It seemed to me lots of the automatic ones caused people issues. Tell me more about your thoughts...

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
Yep - unfortunately they don't work, too wide in front and to narrow in the back oh well. I'm thinking about getting a truck they'll work on though just because having military 2 piece rims is cool ��. Ended up getting Alcoa 22.5's and powdercoating them black ... got to a point where time for experimenting was done so had to go with a sure thing. It'll tow my Jeep better with dually tires anyway

Terra Ops

Adventurer
Interesting. I had planned on just the mechanical in cab adjustable valves. It seemed to me lots of the automatic ones caused people issues. Tell me more about your thoughts...

I had a 3500 with the manual inflate airbags. Every time I checked the pressure it would never be where I set it initially.
My current truck has Hellwig air bags with a firestone automatic remote controlled compressor. It allows me to inflate either or both sides
while driving. I mainly just set the psi where needed and it automatically maintain that pressure. I've noticed that heat, cold, altitude, and of course
different load levels all affect the pressure of the bags. Even going around curves the compressor releases and adds air to whichever side is needed.
If I run the maximum psi, the rear deck raises a few inches which helps off road clearance.
I mounted the small compressor in the rear floor storage compartment to protect it from water and dirt. Haven't had any trouble with it in the 4 years that
its been installed.

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
Not sure if you've considered this but the bags might help ever so slightly with leveling when you bump that slide out too... Being able to remote that would be pretty nice.

lostih

Observer
I had a 3500 with the manual inflate airbags. Every time I checked the pressure it would never be where I set it initially.
My current truck has Hellwig air bags with a firestone automatic remote controlled compressor. It allows me to inflate either or both sides
while driving. I mainly just set the psi where needed and it automatically maintain that pressure. I've noticed that heat, cold, altitude, and of course
different load levels all affect the pressure of the bags. Even going around curves the compressor releases and adds air to whichever side is needed.
If I run the maximum psi, the rear deck raises a few inches which helps off road clearance.
I mounted the small compressor in the rear floor storage compartment to protect it from water and dirt. Haven't had any trouble with it in the 4 years that
its been installed.

Thanks. I’ll look into that!

kerry

Expedition Leader
I wouldn't put a window in the front of the cabover. I've got a pop up truck camper and the front side of the roof rotted out. The sides of the roof didn't. My hypothesis is that water was driven into the front when driving in the rain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles