My quest for entry into the TC

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
It seemed so simple. Just use the scissor stairs that came with the rig. But, what do you do if you lift the truck? What do you do if the lower back wall of the camper has enough rot that the bolts won't hold the scissor stairs on anymore? What other options do we have? When i lifted the truck 3 inches, I had to add 4-straps to the stairs as a lengthener. This worked fine until i installed 35 inch tires; back to the drawing board. So, here is a pictoral of what I've gone through to get access to the TC. Stairs that came with the camper and were too short right off. Had to extend the arms. Then some reflective stairs. Still too short and too stiff. Caused the bolts to pull out when opening them. Then a cheap step ladder. Opps! too tall for the camper. Then a 5-step Little Giant step ladder. This is more like it. I removed the hoop and any other non essential hardware from the ladder, but it is still pretty heavy to lift up onto the black metal hanger on the rear ladder of the TC. Then a set of steps that go into the receiver hitch. This one has stealth written all over it. Still too high on the first step, so a short single step stool needed. The net result is I use both the receiver steps and the Little Giant steps depending on the use and length of the trip.

downhill

Adventurer
I've used the accordion aluminum steps for years. One of the best things I did to mine was to cover the steps with heavy duty LDPE door matting. This stuff: https://www.walmart.com/ip/AstroTurf-Scraper-Door-Mat-18-x-30-Set-of-2-Earth-Taupe/183910226

It is easy to cut and pop rivet on with 3/6" aluminum rivets. These steps become deadly if used in the winter because just a little ice makes them slick as grease. This fake grass matting stays grippy even in freezing rain. It's also great for cleaning your feet on the way in too. It seems to last forever. Once done, I have never had to replace it.

JCatt

Is it possible to attach the accordion steps to the cargo carrier thingy under the overhang?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I've used the accordion aluminum steps for years. One of the best things I did to mine was to cover the steps with heavy duty LDPE door matting. This stuff: https://www.walmart.com/ip/AstroTurf-Scraper-Door-Mat-18-x-30-Set-of-2-Earth-Taupe/183910226

It is easy to cut and pop rivet on with 3/6" aluminum rivets. These steps become deadly if used in the winter because just a little ice makes them slick as grease. This fake grass matting stays grippy even in freezing rain. It's also great for cleaning your feet on the way in too. It seems to last forever. Once done, I have never had to replace it.

Great idea. Do the steps fold up with the additional thickness?
My friend added a step from a cannibalized 4 step.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles