Lifting c4500 ambulance

rossiter78

Observer
It's time to start budgeting for one of my big mods to my c4500 ambulance - the lift.

I don't intend to do serious off roading in this. But I do like to explore the National Forest roads here in Colorado. I also like canyoneering in Utah, and to get to some of those trailheads can be a little rough.

So, what would it take $ wise do bring this ambulance to the same places I take my stock Toyota Tundra?

Third

I'm curious as well. I've been eyeballing a pretty sweet deal on a C4500, but like you the clearance is one thing on my mind. I'm pulling an off-road car, so I don't intend to need 4x4, but these things sit pretty low at stock height. All it has are the airbag system that was installed on the squad.

Britboaters

Observer
The 4WD version has a spacer over the rear axle about 5 inches thick, made from a piece of box section. Then you'll need new u-bolts at about $120 for a set of 4. If you make your own spacers be sure to include the location pegs and holes.
The front axle on the 4WD sits under the springs, I believe same springs as 2WD. The stock 2WD axle has the spindles quite a bit higher than the underside of the springs. You could probably put a spacer between axle and spring on the front as well.
I've just converted a 2WD C4500 to 4WD using a wrecked 4WD C4500 as a donor.
I kept original 2WD springs, and put the spacer in the rear axle.
For the front, I switched in the 4WD axle, which gave me the lift. No problems with steering. New U-bolts as well.
You'll have to figure out longer shocks. I was able to use mounts off the donor and original 2WD shocks.
The whole truck sits up about 5 inches, which is the difference between factory 2WD & 4WD as you'd expect.
I have a huge space under the front fenders now. The same cab is used on the C6500 which uses 11R22.5 tires, at 41" tall. The 245/70R19.5 are about 32" tall. So now you've done the lift and made some space, fit 335/80R20 tires. So now you'll be about 9 or 10" taller !! Singles on the rear, of course.
Sorry if I'm getting a bit carried away.....

Last edited:

rossiter78

Observer
The 4WD version has a spacer over the rear axle about 5 inches thick, made from a piece of box section. Then you'll need new u-bolts at about $120 for a set of 4. If you make your own spacers be sure to include the location pegs and holes.
The front axle on the 4WD sits under the springs, I believe same springs as 2WD. The stock 2WD axle has the spindles quite a bit higher than the underside of the springs. You could probably put a spacer between axle and spring on the front as well.
For the front, I switched in the 4WD axle, which gave me the lift. No problems with steering. New U-bolts as well.
You'll have to figure out longer shocks. I was able to use mounts off the donor and original 2WD shocks.
The whole truck sits up about 5 inches, which is the difference between factory 2WD & 4WD as you'd expect.
I have a huge space under the front fenders now. The same cab is used on the C6500 which uses 11R22.5 tires, at 41" tall. The 245/70R19.5 are about 32" tall. So now you've done the lift and made some space, fit 335/80R20 tires. So now you'll be about 9 or 10" taller !! Singles on the rear, of course.

Carried away? What does that mean?
I need find out how to search for damanged 4wd C4500s. That sounds like a huge winner. :victory:

cjken

Explorer

Are you still looking into making rims for the c4500?
At some point I may be interested a getting a regular cab, cab and chassis 4x4. I’d like to possibly extend the cab slightly then mount a mini mod ambulance box. The crew cab with the box might be too long for my liking.

Third

Wish I could use the front dif, axle, transfer case. etc off the 4x4 1500 I have (4x4 is in great shape, truck is a mess).

Like Rossiter, I guess I'll start surfing for other solutions.

Third

You might just Google it. I've seen them on eBay a few times. No transfer case, but I figure there must be some out there.

Britboaters

Observer
CJKEN
Yes still in slow process of building rims. I hoped this might turn into a commercial venture, but the liability insurance killed stone dead.

Last edited:

Britboaters

Observer
Very tough to find 4x4 Topkick / Kodiak transfer case, front axles, etc. My front axle was bent - center diff case distorted. So I had a shop build me a new axle using a Dana 80 rear axle pumpkin, new tubes, my original "C's" etc. Very expensive.
The original Dana 70HD is a heavier axle than Ford uses, also drive on the other side.
Some of the other heavy 4WD trucks use the same transfer case, but they are not divorced/front drive on wrong side.
Try "salvagetrucksauction.com" for a wreck.
Good luck

rossiter78

Observer
Very tough to find 4x4 Topkick / Kodiak transfer case, front axles, etc. My front axle was bent - center diff case distorted. So I had a shop build me a new axle using a Dana 80 rear axle pumpkin, new tubes, my original "C's" etc. Very expensive.
The original Dana 70HD is a heavier axle than Ford uses, also drive on the other side.
Some of the other heavy 4WD trucks use the same transfer case, but they are not divorced/front drive on wrong side.
Try "salvagetrucksauction.com" for a wreck.
Good luck
Ah! This answers a question I had on another thread. Thanks Britboaters!

Third

I've been looking mostly at med-duty ambulances. Really like the look and stance of the 4500's Internationals, Freight Liners.

But I have a 2000 1500 Chevy that I can use as a donor for the 4x4 bits if I find a smaller Chevy squad. Since nothing on it is viable for the C4500/4500 series though, I'm contemplating if I really want 4x4 (I'll be towing an off-road Baja car).

That leads me back to this thread.

Q: What options are there to just do a lift on a C4500/4500 (or Intl/FLs)? Almost everything I've found on the web revolves around 4x4 kits (bit more than I really want to spend given the cost and rarity plus the fact that I don't absolutely need it ).

Any thoughts?

Capital E

Deaver Springs will make a set for you. I just got some for my C5500 4x4. They will raise it about 2" from stock. Not sure how that translates to a two wheel drive. The ride is way better with the Deavers. Jeff at Deaver is the guy to talk to. He has tons of experience with Topkick/Kodiak suspension.

Third

Deaver Springs will make a set for you. I just got some for my C5500 4x4. They will raise it about 2" from stock. Not sure how that translates to a two wheel drive. The ride is way better with the Deavers. Jeff at Deaver is the guy to talk to. He has tons of experience with Topkick/Kodiak suspension.

Noted.

And thanks a TON !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles