Best station wagon for expedition other than Subaru?

nutpantz

Observer
I'm looking to build a expedition vehicle. I'm seriously thinking about a 09 Subaru outback, but before I go that path what would be a great second choice in a comparable station wagon (I know Ford made one but not who else).

Thank you for any info.

REDONE

[s]hard[/s]MEDIUM Core!
The thing about Subi's is that they carved themselves out a pretty niche market. The competition is all the cookie cutter crossover SUVs, but none of them are a Subaru Outback.

My advice would be to take a hard look at what you expect from your overland rig build and whether a Subi Outback is the right solution to the challenge. If so, look no further because everything else is a poor copy based on an economy car chassis. As a true blue Jeep guy it pains me to say it, but if you like Subi's, only a Subi will do.

nutpantz

Observer
I know what I need. Which is mostly fuel millage and the station wagon back as its big enough to sleep in. Im pretty much ultra light except for that requirement. I drove a buddyd Sudbury legacy (1998 I think) a few years ago and even thought I'm 6"2 it was comfortable and enjoyable to drive. I would buy one like that if I could find one in good shape. My usual vehicle is either a motorbike or lately a crown Vic or gmc s10 Jimmy. The crown Vic is nice but no room in the back. The Jimmy just bad millage and not as enjoyable to drive. Saying all that i would not buy a crossover i think they are a huge compromise between a better SUV and a station wagon.with few of the benefits of either.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
If you want a fun, cheap, and different option, look at the early 90s Toyota Corolla wagon, they made a 4WD version called the All-Trac.

It's not a rally car but if you are looking for a car that get 25-30mpg and will still manage fire roads and can sleep a full size person, keep you eyes on Craigslist, they do come up regularly.

https://youtu.be/S-m89AWfe90

The video is just something I came across on Youtube. Not mine.

Phoo

Observer
The Volvo V70 XC wagons would likely meet your criteria. Lots of interior space, all wheel drive, quite a bit of ground clearance, plenty of power with the 5 cylinder turbo engine. They are rather pricey new, but as with all things European-luxury, can be snatched up cheap once they have a few miles on them.

al_burpe

Observer
Saying all that i would not buy a crossover i think they are a huge compromise between a better SUV and a station wagon.with few of the benefits of either.

What compromises are you getting in a crossover that you aren't getting in an outback? The new Cherokee, RAV4, ect. are going to get similar mileage and take you the same places.

About your original question, there is the Audi all road station wagon. There is a build thread on here about one. I don't think I would ever pick an Audi over a Subaru however.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The mileage jump between the old 2000-2009 wedge body of the OB and the modern better cooling capacity 2010 and big mileage improvements of the 2010 and the space improvements makes the 10 a far better car. I have two 10’s a legacy and OB identical vehicles they’ve been flawless. Late 10’s -12’s the bad torque converter started surfacing. Its a parts problem Subaru issued a TSB to replace them but many dealers used it to rip customers off. So Subaru sent mailers to all owners for reimbursement etc. The issue was a parts vendor using the wrong material in a internal bushing.

I owned a 5spd Subaru because even in 2001 the 4spd AT was a sick lethargic dog. In 2010 the CVT won out over the 6spd due to the really odd throttle restriction that made the manual lugg hard on hill starts that my 01 didn’t lugg on even with my boat in tow. So we went cvt against all my fibers of cvt hate. Hands down the cvt is the best thing Subaru has done for their engines.

Last edited:

yoggie

If you are looking for a purely on-road car, I would suggest looking at a Prius V. There are three sizes for the Prius, the C (small hatchback), the normal, and the V: (large hatch / midsize wagon, similar in size to an Outback). Obviously the V has zero off-pavement capability (as in dirt parking lots are a bit much) but if you are sticking to the pavement, it is probably the highest MPG wagon on the market today. 35-45 MPG is what I typically see when I drive it. I am 6'1" and it is comfy to drive but I dont know if it is long enough to sleep in. One owner said he set the drivers seat for his 6'1 frame and there was 6' of cargo room behind him. It sounds like there would be enough sleeping room if you are willing to pull the front seats forward. Also, 2nd row seats lay flat, and I have heard the driver and passenger seats go flat as well. Also, the 2016 model and new can tow 1500 lbs. That doesn't sound like much, but you can fit a lot of camping gear in a small cargo trailer and stay under weight.

iluxaS

Saab 95 Aero, Audi A6 awd, Volvo XC70, Mazda CX-7 (I would go for CX-9, drives like a car :) ), Pontiac Vibe (same guts as corolla and they have awd versions), Mazda 6 wagon (does great in snow actual, and very sporty suspension ), etc.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
For those late readers, Mazda MPV Sport, 6 cy, 4x4, van like interior and drives like a car, zoom, zoom. 17/18 MPG isn't bad for an older 4x4 of any kind. I liked mine back in the day, still do! More comfortable than an Astro but not quite as big or boxy. Over 6' of back acreage behind the driver's captain chair, a good 4' wide. I'd bet they would be an easy and inexpensive build for over-landing. :)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The funny thing about the Outback wagon is that I seem to recall reading that when Subaru introduced the 5th gen Legacy in 2010, it was actually classified by the DOT as an SUV due to it's size and weight. So even though they call it a "wagon" it's really a Crossover/SUV.

My brother has a 2010 Outback and loves it. He also has a 2002 Impreza TS wagon that he bought new. 16 years later it's still running strong, original engine, transmission, etc.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Also don't forget that VW makes wagons, in both FWD and AWD variants.

VW seems to have a very "polarized" reputation: People either absolutely love them or absolutely hate them, there's no in between.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles