Ursa Minor style top for a TJ?

KMG

Adventurer
Does any one know if a camper top like a Ursa Minor is or was available for a 04 TJR? Thanks

KMG

Adventurer
2006 AEV Unlimited Rubicon. Silver. 6-speed. 34x10.5R17 BFG KO2. OME ZJ/LJ. Nth TT. Alloy Shafts. 4.56 gears.
Nice Jeep!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
As far as I know there isn't one available commercially, but if you wanted to build one a good starting point would be a Gr8Tops Safari Cab hardtop. It's modular so the roof is a separate piece and making a pop-up version of the roof would be fairly straightforward. I did some preliminary design on the idea a while back, here's one of the concept drawings...

TamiyaLJConcept1_zpskcgnomvn.jpg

This photo shows a Safari Cab with the roof unbolted and hanging above the Jeep:

OldRoofOff_zps6xcwyerj.jpg

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
As far as I know there isn't one available commercially, but if you wanted to build one a good starting point would be a Gr8Tops Safari Cab hardtop.

This photo shows a Safari Cab with the roof unbolted and hanging above the Jeep:

How long is the roof on the Gr8Tops Sarari cab?

...I'm wondering if it's long enough for sleeping.

-Dan

jscherb

Expedition Leader

How long is the roof on the Gr8Tops Sarari cab?

...I'm wondering if it's long enough for sleeping.

-Dan

The LJ Safari Cab roof is 86" long, which makes it 7" longer than the Barood Discovery hard shell RTT pictured below, so yes there's plenty of length on an LJ for sleeping. And I've drawn the concept with an overhang in the front to make it even longer. Doing a TJ version would be possible as well, you'd need a bit longer overhang in the front (or the rear), but very possible to match the length of things like the Barood clamshell.

BaroodDiscovery_zpslwhvezaz.jpg

I've got a bunch of extra Safari Cab parts here and having built the pop-top for the Jeep tub trailer (below) it's always been in my mind to combine that with the Safari Cab parts and make a camper top for the LJ (or a TJ).

TiltUp1_zpssjsplikt.jpg

JDaPP

Adventurer
My understanding is these guys will make their pulse fit most jeeps: http://phoenixpopup.com/phoenix-pulse-pop-top-jeep-article/

Before Ursa Minor came out there was a place that had a LJ camper that flipped open like a wilderness camper. It was made in Africa which is why I didn't pursue it (shipping costs, etc) I will see if I still have the link at home as when I google Africa jeep camper all I get are pictures of Dan's Ursa Minor (rightfully so as it is pretty awesome).

KMG

Adventurer
Phoenix Popup quoted $15,000 for an empty shell for a TJ with a delivery date of Spring 2019.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A crude photo edit, I put this pop-top:

RearDoor_zps3vha1ish.jpg

on a Safari Cab photo:

TrailTopPopup_zpsiupr6ahk.jpg

Because the Safari Cab is modular and the pop-top is made with TrailTop modular fiberglass components, it would be a fairly straightforward construction project.

Thean

Pile-O-Parts
Scherb, always bringing his A game!

That 5 with the popup on it is pretty cool. With front passenger seat gone, seems viable for a mobile single person camp-n-cruise.

JDaPP

Adventurer
Just to follow up I couldn't find the camper made in africa that I was talking about. Company was called gtr or gtz or something like that, must have went out of business

JDaPP

Adventurer
No definitely wasn't them. I think the company may have shifted to just trailers as I found a gtr in south Africa (same city as I remember the other place being based).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles