25 Year Old Land Rovers

EricWS

Observer
Mercedesrover said:
My new sig line! Thanks!

Kinda reads as if your wishfully thinking and plainly ignorant though? Which I hope I didn't imply! I was referring to import threads in general on a majority of the entire poulation of LR enthusiast forums.

My personal fav was the recent one on Discoweb where a guy tried to convince everyone that he found a safe, legal loop hole to bring in new 110s. He folded when asked for evidence though. Good fun read though.

greenmeanie

Adventurer
I can't argue that there's no substitute for doing your research

I imported my 101 when it came of age and it took me a couple of years of research and a couple of trips to make sure I found the right truck and that it would get here and be completely legal. I employed an experienced shipping agent to deal with UK and US customs as I'm too far from the ports to make the trip.

If you take your time and do your research there is nothing too difficult in obtaining a truck. If, on the other hand you just want to write a cheque and put your trust in others then you can take your chances. People in the UK have been aware of the potential of the US market for years so there was always going to be a scrabble for the 83's and a certain group who take advantage of the unwary. As more trucks become available the risks should become less.

With any import you have to bear in mind you are buying a 25 yr old truck at a minimum but then a NAS110 is 15 years old now too.

Me, I don't understand the fuss. I prefer the old low tech leafers.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
EricWS said:
Kinda reads as if your wishfully thinking and plainly ignorant though? Which I hope I didn't imply!

No offense taken. I just like your verbage.

And of course I'm a wishful thinker and ignorant...I drive Land Rovers!

I'm with you, Gregor. Give me the leafers.

Maryland 110

Adventurer
I import 110's on a very regular basis. I have yet to import a rusty truck. I have handled the import process for others on trucks I wouldn't have bought or bothered to import, so I acknowledge some people are bringing in crap.
Last week I imported the following for Eric Riston @ Atlantic British:
83 110, 300 tdi, rebuilt r380, new prop shafts, new brakes,braided stainless brake lines,polybush throughout,up graded lights all around, brush bar, off road lights, Stainless steel exhaust, new hd springs, shocks, air bags in rear springs tied to an on board air compressor with ride control on the dash, galvanized frame, new wiring harness, heated front and rear windows, Lassale fiberglass headliner, roll up window doors with central locking,new hood/bonnet, rust free bulkhead, alloys, 235.85.16 bfg's, nas style rear step bumper, swing out spare tire carrier, corbeau seats, cd, alarm system. Eric flew into Baltimore from Moab (via Denver) yesterday afternoon and drove the truck 7 hrs straight through to upstate NY (initial mpg calculation was 29.3 mpg). I won't disclose price but it was well below the numbers being thrown around above. I have yet to ask 20k for a 110. Several trucks have been complete rebuilds with new bulkheads, doors etc. The only thing either of us could find wrong with this particular truck was the front oil seal is weeping. "Perfect" no- but mighty damn close.

Early 110's aren't collectors items like the numbered NAS trucks. Thats whats great about them, you can use them as the manufacturer intended and not have to worry about damaging a limited edition truck. To that end I wouldn't want the "perfect" truck others are refering to above.

The majority of the trucks I import, including my own, are daily drivers, ie needed nothing right off the ship. I would offer that those condeming vehicles simply because they are from the UK and 25 years old and advising others that good ones can't be found,at any price, are largely mis-informed.

Anyone interested in early 110's is invited to gain accurate information and view examples of trucks imported on my homepage.

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
EricWS said:
Late 60's rovers have an extremely simple emissions system. I think there are only 10 parts total. I doubt any inspection monkey would even notice if it was correct for the year or not or even present. My best bet is that if the engine is tuned and runs well it will pass...
I've no knowledge of how other states do it, but in KA if it was a pre-existing gray market car in an area that recently came under the Bi-Annual Inspection requirement then it went to a Referee who researched it and labeled it (foil sticker) with what it is supposed to have for emissions equipment. Same is true if the owner moved here from another state. Don't expect to "pull the wool", a friend of mine was one of the Referees and the reference material that he had available to him was impressive. His location and time of employment meant that he saw a lot of vehicles far, far more exotic than a Landy and he was able to sort out all but a couple without much effort.

The only thing that works in your favor with the above age range vehicle is that it has fallen out of the bottom of the required inspection age group. If we were talking something later than a 1974 model, then my above applies.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Maryland 110 said:
Early 110's aren't collectors items like the numbered NAS trucks. Thats whats great about them, you can use them as the manufacturer intended and not have to worry about damaging a limited edition truck. To that end I wouldn't want the "perfect" truck others are refering to above.

The majority of the trucks I import, including my own, are daily drivers, ie needed nothing right off the ship. I would offer that those condeming vehicles simply because they are from the UK and 25 years old and advising others that good ones can't be found,at any price, are largely mis-informed.

A voice of reason. My Defender is nearly 25 y/o and is my daily driver. I didn't pay a premium for it so I don't fear using it as intended or making it or keeping it "proper". These are work trucks and as i have said many times before, they are tools not jewels.

EricWS

Observer
ntsqd said:
If we were talking something later than a 1974 model, then my above applies.

We were. Look at my quote. Late 60's. No grey market implications at all and the entire system could be installed in a day while giving your engine a tune up.

Maryland 110

Adventurer
We haven't had any emissions issues primarily because everything has been diesel with the exception of two trucks. Does Kansas have diesel emissions testing for 25 yr old trucks ?
I think California does but waivers can be had.

glr

Observer
I recommend Doug, we work quite closely together He handles 90% of all trucks we sell to the US.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne