So I want to build a truck camper

Boatbuilder79

Op , why do you want to BUILD a camper ?

Are there none on the market that fit your needs?

My main reasons for wanting to build are cost and weight. I also like building stuff.

A new 4 wheel camper shell model for my truck is $15k out the door. They are really nice but That is just more than I want to spend when I can build something that will work just as well for 1/3 the cost.

My truck has a 5.5 foot bed so there are not many used units that will fit. Most Of the new ones that will fit most are wayyy too heavy.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
My main reasons for wanting to build are cost and weight. I also like building stuff.

A new 4 wheel camper shell model for my truck is $15k out the door. They are really nice but That is just more than I want to spend when I can build something that will work just as well for 1/3 the cost.

My truck has a 5.5 foot bed so there are not many used units that will fit. Most Of the new ones that will fit most are wayyy too heavy.

My experience as well. All of the used ones I have found are not the right fit, and or are sold in 3.6 seconds. I am also stoked that I get to go on a spending spree and buy all of the bits I need for the new camper build! Should be in and around 1000# all in with battery and water.

460Ford

Have you considered a shell perhaps? All terrain campers will get you a shell with all the hard stuff figured out and you get to build the insides out. Best of both worlds. I think a shell would be under 10k. Or find an old Alaskan and refurb it. I know of a few around listed in the 1-2k range. But would need work for sure. I'm restoring a 1968 hard side pop up now with my brother. Getting really close to being done. Camper was only 330 bucks but I've put over 10x that amount Into it and worth the very penny. No matter which way you go hope you post about it here. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boatbuilder79

All terrain campers said they did not have a model that would fit my 5.5 foot bed truck and a 4wc shell is close to 15k out the door new.

I have been so slammed with work this year I have not had a chance to really get started on the build. If business stays at this level the rest of the year buying one may be what I have to do.

moveinon

So much of the decision around pop-up verses hard side is about how you want to use it. If you want or need to drive through really windy areas a hard side will be a trial and not do nearly as well as a pop-up no matter how aerodynamic you try and build it. If you go into the snow in the winter the hard side will be much easier to keep warm and without condensation. Garage height is often an issue for protecting the camper from the weather where a pop-up will fit but a hard side will not. Will you want to drive into parking structures or other low areas either close to home or on trips. BLM roads can be very difficult to negotiate with a higher camper. Off road in general is best with aluminum framed campers. Stand up height inside will mean a fairly tall hard side which will reduce your MPG over a pop-up substantially at freeway speeds. People on WTW say even an airfoil in front of the 4WC makes a couple of MPG difference. I have a 4WC and am happy with that decision but have friends with hard sided and one Alaskan camper that love theirs also. We just use them very differently -I think it is always good to fit the camper to the use and the money you have to invest.

David_h

My main reasons for wanting to build are cost and weight. I also like building stuff..

Agreed. Building stuff is fun. It may cost less and you may also get it lighter because you may not have to build it as strong as a manufacturer who sells to the general public.

That’s said all the prices you quoted for four wheel campers are for new units. You can find perfectly good used units for half that price. something to consider

southpier

Expedition Leader
.... Building stuff is fun. It may cost less and you may also get it lighter because you may not have to build it as strong as a manufacturer who sells to the general public.

at project close out, it may have well cost more and be stronger since manufacturers have to hit a price point in order to move product. two sides of the same coin.

slowtwitch

Adventurer
What about a hardside pop-up? I think that's the best solution, although it takes more effort to make/design. Something along the lines of the hard side expedition trucks you see.
Seems like the FWC's are pretty damn unaerodynamic with that 90 degree angle at the front. I have also seen way too many that are bent/wonky at that joint and/or have roof/buckle issues.
A monocoque composite structure would be best.... rigid, lite, no seems etc. But harder to make.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
My camper design is complete and the frame construction is underway. I will start up a build thread at some point soon... once we get more done. Had a 3 hour planning session last night with my buddy Mike who is doing the lion's share of the design and fab work. I am "helping" with that part, but will take on much of the finish work. Getting pretty stoked about this!

Materials will make a huge difference in weight of course, so choosing the right construction method is key. In this case we are building a steel skeleton that was designed in AutoCAD to ensure all the stress points were addressed. The skin is thin marine ply with a bonded aluminum skin. interior walls are the same method only no skin and with foam insulation throughout. The tricky part is the fabric/vinyl walls... but even that should be straightforward. Miek is a Master Shipwright and has a contact who exclusively manufactures marine fabrics (dodgers, covers, etc) and he has offered to do the work for me.

All in this will come in at under $8k Canadian. Thats with hot and cold running water, power, solar, RV style windows, room for 3 (4 if someone wants to sleep on the floor) and a full queen sized loft bed. Only internal seating for 2, but hey...its really not that big after all. That is substantially less than a manufactured base unit (shell), but I have the luxury of having a close friend who is a custom Teardrop Trailer maker and a Shipwright designing and fabbing this up. I also have some skills to do 50% of the work needed, so that helps reduce costs.

Pretty stoked!

#Ram1500CrewProblems #ShortBoxLife #PopUp

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier