2010 RRS SC tire size

buyrovers

Adventurer
I have searched the endless threads but no official answer found to my question so throwing it out there.

Will 275/55/20s fit on a 2010 sport with the rod lift or gap tool lift?

spikemd

Explorer
Can't remember the specific size of the tires, but will ask my buddy. He had Johnson rods on his RRS and BFG KO2s and we did Hells Revenge in Moab with no issues.

2015_moab19.jpg

2015_moab65.jpg

2015_moab81.jpg

BSC_100

Tires are the RRS's white whale. I have a 2013 RRS with 20" rims and have spent countless hours figuring out the best fitment for off-pavement travel. My conclusion: 285/50R20 is the optimal size and the largest tire you can fit without significant rubbing. That size gives you a diameter of 31.3", and has virtually no rubbing (only a tiny tiny amount of rub at full lock when reversing). 275/45R20's are another good option -- zero rub, but you get less tire. I haven't tried them myself, but the consensus from many RRS owners who have is that you can fit 275/55R20's but you'll have a fair amount of rubbing, even with a lift.

There are only two all-terrain tire options available at the 285/50R20 size. Cooper Zeon LTZs and Nitto Terra Grappler G2's. I'm on my second set of LTZ's. I got Cooper to warranty replace the first set after a bit more than a year of hard use off road that chewed up the sidewalls and resulted in one tire experiencing a blow out over some sharp volcanic rocks. I don't know if this is a general durability issue or just a bad batch combined with my abuse. Apart from that, the tires have been fantastic both on road and off.

buyrovers

Adventurer
So the tires went on today and they were making contact with the knuckle on the upper control arms up front. Have the 2.5 inch Proud Rhino Lift installed and clearance elsewhere seems good. I guess I am ordering the 30mm spacers and cross my fingers that it doesnt cause major contact with the bumper or something else. Amazingly there are people running this size on 10-12 sports but I was unable to even leave them on the contact was so bad. Go figure...

BSC_100 I have seen a lot of posts about the 285/50/20 but those are even wider which was my fitment issue and tire shop seemed to agree that they wouldnt work either so anyone that has had a similar experience as me please chime in!

On a side note a set of brand new 275/55/20 Terra Grappler g2's might be hitting the for sale section soon, hell the Sport might be too

BSC_100

So the tires went on today and they were making contact with the knuckle on the upper control arms up front. Have the 2.5 inch Proud Rhino Lift installed and clearance elsewhere seems good. I guess I am ordering the 30mm spacers and cross my fingers that it doesnt cause major contact with the bumper or something else. Amazingly there are people running this size on 10-12 sports but I was unable to even leave them on the contact was so bad. Go figure...

BSC_100 I have seen a lot of posts about the 285/50/20 but those are even wider which was my fitment issue and tire shop seemed to agree that they wouldnt work either so anyone that has had a similar experience as me please chime in!

On a side note a set of brand new 275/55/20 Terra Grappler g2's might be hitting the for sale section soon, hell the Sport might be too

That's strange -- I've heard of 275/55R20's having diameter fitment issues, rubbing on the wheel wells and such, but I've never heard of width issues. As you say, that size is narrower than the 285/50R20, and the 285/50R20 fits (just barely). The 285/50R20 ends up being just a hair's width away from the front suspension arm. It looks disastrous, but the way the suspension moves it actually does not rub or cause any issues. I don't have a pic of my setup handy, but here's a pic from another RRS owner with 285/50R20's installed that looks similar to mine. This is actually on a 2010 RRS like yours.

1524017599459.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles