Tonneau covers and overhead racks

OutOfBounds

Adventurer
I'm looking for an overhead rack and tonneau cover combination and need some ideas. Right now I'm leaning towards an Extang Solid Fold 2.0 tonneau and KB Voodoo's Utility Rack. I don't know if this is my best option though. I'm open to retractable tonneaus as well, though I'm not sure which I'd go with. If I can keep total cost to around $2400 Canadian pesos, that'd be great.

I'd like to stay with a hard top tonneau for security and the rack to be removable. I need the rack to haul my 12' jon boat on our extended trips, and maybe kayaks in the future. I need a minimum of 55" of width to fit the boat.

I was planning to go with a canopy and roof rack, but a hard tonneau will give me the security/dry-ish storage I need while still being able to enjoy my roll down rear window and use the box for taller cargo now and then.

BTW, my truck is a 2005 Tundra double cab.

Here's the boat rack set up I have now and will need my future rack to be similar to:

IMG_20170902_130819050.jpg

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I have a full sized Ram 1500, and opted for an Undercover Flex tri fold tonneau rather than a retractable. I have thought about a rack for my RTT for it, but it will be tricky with the tri fold unless I go vertical with the rack legs. I do however like the fact that I get access to the full bed with the tri fold, and it was cheaper than the roller style.

If I were to do it again, I would probably buy a retractable tonneau like the Bak Industries roll back. Sweet unit for sure... but a bit more expensive than the tri folds.

I like that setup eatsleepwolf!!

OutOfBounds

Adventurer
I've seen a few KB VooDoo racks in person and was not impressed. Flimsky junk, IMO.

Consider adding tracks to a tonneau, and then mounting vertical supports or other accessories to those tracks. Shouldn't be too hard to come up with a design that will give you the height you're after. I did something similar: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...Woof-s-2016-Tacoma-DCLB?p=2366115#post2366115

Shame to hear about the KB VooDoo racks being flimsy. That was a concern I had. I was worried about lateral and wind movement with a 120lb boat on top. The rack in the picture is a Princess Auto rack that I modified and beefed up. Even it has a little bit more play than I'd like.

I really like your system. The one issue I have with it is I'm not sure that a retractable tonneau would work for me. I live in northern Alberta and as such get snow, ice, freezing rain and all that fun stuff for 4 - 6 months a year. I've heard that retractable covers don't fare well in those conditions.

I'm also not a huge fan of losing bed space to the canister, as I'll be sliding my boat into the box for shorter day trips and using the overhead rack for extended trips.

If I could find a tri-fold that would give me access to the bed rails, I could do that. That was the attraction of KB VooDoo's design with their Utility Rack. Thule's TracRac SR looks pretty skookum but I think it's only compatible with retractable type covers.

Sea&Xc

Here is my setup on my Tundra. Pics will come later.

Yakima Q tower on cab. 165lbs, 40+ inches of barspread. I carry my 16'6 canoe, occasionally a cargo box.
Soft inside the bedrail tonneau cover. Less secure that a hard cover but cheap, easily rolls up and out of the way, and surprisingly weatherproof. Tailgate locks so someone needs a knife to get to whatever is hidden under it.
Tracks and crossbars on the bedrails. Bikes, RTT, Cargobox etc.

Be aware that the bed rail covers on the Tundra Double Cabs are spaced off the actual steel bed. They crush when loaded. I've added wood blocks to the support the rails for the tonneau cover which help support the plastic rail covers and the tracks. Ideally needs delrin blocks between the steel bed and plastic bed rail covers.

You could do a single cab and then a bar off the trailer hitch and completely bypass the bed. You'll lose some offroad ability though. These trucks are long with huge turn radius as it is.

drifter_r6

Observer
I have a long bed F350 and ran into a similar issue when carrying my 14' kayak, RTT, and awning. My setup ended up being the BakFlip F1 (tri-fold) for security and keeping stuff in the bed as dust free as possible and a modified Adarac bed rack (600lb load capacity). The uprights for the bed rack are originally angled inward. I cut the base re-drilled holes and re-welded the cross bar mounts so the up right sits perpendicular to the bed rails. Modifying the uprights allowed me to open and close my tonneau cover fully. I found the bed rails with all the mounting slots to be exceptionally useful as lashing points, I haul around a lot of tall objects. A little side benefit, the bed rack allows me to mount a hammock in the bed for quick camp setups. Although I do admit the RTT sits a little high but its necessary for clearance of the kayak to the roofline and mounting of the awning so you have enough head room when its deployed.

Side Note: I noticed Adarac now makes an aluminum pro series rack with perpendicular uprights.

Here are a couple of old pics.
IMG_48602.jpgIMG_4853.JPG

Last edited:

windchaser93402

Any suggestions for a rack for a Ford 2018 F150 with 5.5 foot bed with an Undercover Flex tri fold cover. I called Undercover and they said nothing compatible because of the way it seals. I contacted Rack It in San Diego, CA, who said they can modify the rails I think with FasTrac, and install bars in back but it will be $1200 on top of the $1000 I already paid for the cover and installation (yes I know I paid too much but I was on my way to Oregon for business trip when my car blew up, bought a new truck in 3 days and accessories the next day needed to do my work and secure my gear up there). I want to secure a hardshell rooftop tent up there on occassion and haul boards/board bags. I am not a McGyver chick so need something fairly easy to install if it exists. Thx in advance for any help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke