Where to store fuel siphon after use?

Fuji4

Observer
I bought some Jerry cans to use when towing my adventure trailer and plan on siphoning gas into my lr4 should the need ever arise however in thinking about the procedure I am wondering how to keep my siphon clean after using it without trapping fumes somewhere while storing it. I mean sure I could ziploc it I guess (are those fuel rated?) and chuck it in the enclosed trailer but I don’t want my gear to smell of gas. Anybody have a solution they like?

Fuji4

Observer
Yeah I guess maybe my worry about dust sticking to it and then contaminating the next full is just overblown?

ar4me

Adventurer
I usually empty the siphon well and then put it in a ziploc bag in tool box - never had any fuel smell issues.

kai38

Explorer
I used a large ziplock/storage bag.
The type used to compress sweaters,blankets etc.
The bags thicker than a regular ziplock bag and you can get them from the dollar store for cheap.
Used them for the same reason, to keep fuel smell out and dust from collecting on tube.

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel
I don't use a siphon, but a funnel with a tube. I stick corks in both ends both to trap what little fuel and vapor is still in it, and to keep dirt and grit out of it. Then it gets rolled up into an old drybag (less likely to puncture or rip) and stuck with the tools.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have been pouring with a long spout that fits the can. Now that I really don't want to haul the can down from the RR I want to use a siphon and leave the can up there.
I got a siphon that you shake to get it active but haven't used it yet. Had not thought about where to put it after use till I read this post. Probably in the Trasharoo like many have suggested. Thanks.

Fuji4

Observer
All good ideas. i like the plastic bag /ziploc idea in the trasheroo. I feel like that's the easiest. I'm just glad it's not diesel because that stuff really sticks around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles