Wildernest supports?

Jmax

Howdy y'all!

I just picked up a used older Wildernest for my 98 Tacoma and I love it! Its seen better days for sure... but I'm going to restore her to full functionality.

I am a bit concerned about putting weight in the bed while there are no vertical supports. Mine didn't come with any, but it looks like there are some hooks on the roof that one could rig some supports onto.

wildernest.jpg

Any insights on what to use for support poles? I bet it could function without it, but I'd rather have them for peace of mind.

J

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The bed is supported by the two wires that go over the top hoop. It'll support a lot of weight. There are two outrigger poles that help reduce the swaying but they don't support any weight. Honestly, I don't usually use them. I find a Hi-Lift under the passenger slider (if you have them) is a better at stopping the 'Nest from a rockin'.

Jmax

Thanks for the information, Dave!

I'm also curious as to how you have the Nest attached to the bed? Now i'm using six C-clamps. Do you think that will suffice?

Again, thanks for the wisdom

J

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I suggest you bolt the 'Nest on. Especially on the driver's side there's a lot of force trying to pull things apart. I use six 5/16" bolts, three on each rail. I may have photos I can post later today, I'll check on that. C-clamps IMO aren't ideal for a couple of reasons, mainly that it's hard to really get them snug without cracking the fiberglass, which often gets damaged. The place here in Colorado that sold and installed them (Coach RV in Broomfield) used two 3/8" bolts on each rail, FWIW.

sambo.cox

Howdy y'all!

I just picked up a used older Wildernest for my 98 Tacoma and I love it! Its seen better days for sure... but I'm going to restore her to full functionality.

J

Jmax, just posted about ordering some replacement springs. I'm ordering front. Let me know if you need one.

Jmax

Hey Sambo,

I actually haven't given the springs a thorough inspection yet. Are you referring to the coil springs for the hinge? I'll try to take a look soon and get back to ya.

J

sambo.cox

Hey Sambo,

I actually haven't given the springs a thorough inspection yet. Are you referring to the coil springs for the hinge? I'll try to take a look soon and get back to ya.

J

Yeah. The ones that assist with opening/closing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles