Overnighter in Talladega National Forest

hsestes

Henry S Estes
This weekend with the forecast calling for great weather, we decided to get the off road trailer out for the first shake down of 2018.* I had a couple of places in mind, but ultimately decided to go over to Alabama to Talladega National Forest.* We have been over there on several day trips, but never camped.* *I already had the campsite pictured in my head!!

Jeep and Trailer loaded...* *time to head out!

i-DX9QWqB-XL.jpg

i-SzJJCZb-XL.jpg

We made our way over to Alabama and started out on County Road 6000-1 which is on the southern end of the National Forest, off of Highway 148 west of Millerville.* *The first five miles or 6000-1 are pretty rough - especially for a vehicle pulling a trailer!

i-5kLMGrw-XL.jpg

i-Xbps2cG-XL.jpg

i-gZQzxqh-XL.jpg

i-cHtBN2m-XL.jpg

i-Z5DVQ9P-XL.jpg

i-CMJsJJh-XL.jpg

i-sLH93Dc-XL.jpg

After you reach the point where the power lines cross the trail the road smooths out, with a little more gravel coverage.* Apparently they maintain that portion of the road for the power company to access the lines.* From that point on, there are several scenic overlooks along the route, and the one I had in mind was open with no one else there.* *I backed the trailer up into the spot and we started setting up camp.

i-gRNMG9w-XL.jpg

i-Smtq6qf-XL.jpg

i-rQGqvv5-XL.jpg

This was our view!!

i-FTFNR6m-XL.jpg

i-QQVMzJr-XL.jpg

After a nice hot bowl of chili with Fritos, cheese, and sour cream for dinner, it was time to build a campfire and get ready to watch the sunset and take some astrophotography.

i-mMd3dBj-XL.jpg

i-hbRWHfL-XL.jpg

i-z4xWjwX-XL.jpg

i-fQ89wLn-XL.jpg

i-b6Dbfsn-XL.jpg

i-GnWbv2q-XL.jpg

i-d5D3Kxp-XL.jpg

i-sMgnvMW-XL.jpg

i-DqkL742-XL.jpg

i-XhCkTwB-XL.jpg

hsestes

Henry S Estes
i-n8NXnpF-XL.jpg

i-zFTXL5W-XL.jpg

i-TjPXcqb-XL.jpg

i-RHwJjvX-XL.jpg

i-zB5T6LM-XL.png

i-jtMxrmx-XL.png

i-mLvR6hB-XL.jpg

With the moon rising behind us and outshining most of the stars, it was time to call it a night.* With our LED lights in the trailer, they give off enough light to read, or get gear situated prior to calling it a night.

i-gXn36Ws-XL.jpg

i-XsR9Z4f-XL.jpg

The next day saw us getting up, eating some bacon and eggs, and then breaking down camp, and starting the ride home.

i-tMxvJqj-XL.jpg

It was a great "first" camping trip of 2018 and we look forward to many more to come!

the deputy

Looks like quite the outing. Surprised you're allowed to transport firewood across state lines. In Michigan...you get caught transport wood across county lines and you're looking at hefty fines. Anyhow.

Like the first picture of the north star...okay, and the second one too...but it made me a little dizzy.

Thank you, for sharing your travels.

Brian.

Plat

Great pics, very nice!
I know that location well and have wanted to camp there. Have you ever had any issues from the Natl Forest rangers?

rockland213

This is what forest service web site says about camping.
(Permits are not needed for primitive camping, except during gun deer hunting season. Campers are responsible for your fire and any wildfire that results from a spreading campfire. Remember to leave your campfire "dead out". )

(Hunter Camps
If you're a natural for the outdoors, this is the place to be. Enjoy the forest and the home of many wild game species. Hunter Camps are open year round for users

I worked in Alabama for 7 months two years ago and loved exploring in the forest. I volunteer for all the jobs in Alabama and Georgia so I can go play in the NF . It is a blast on a motorcycle, lots of gravel and dirt roads.

Your trailer is very cool

Plat

I had read, unfortunately, that the Talladega Natl Forest office had passed a rule that only allowed camping at established campgrounds, or primitive tent camping on the hiking trails in the wilderness a certain distance off the hiking trail. No dispersed camping on the roads or car camping was allowed. I hope that’s wrong or was not implemented. There’s great places like this one that deserve to be appreciated and respected.

Does anyone know if this is the case there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles