3 to 4 inch lift on FG?

1aquaholic

Adventurer
Has anybody done this? Have you had any problems? What did you use for the lift blocks and do you have the dimensions you used for the u-bolts? Did you have to change your drive shaft lengths? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

gait

Explorer
parabolics lifted about 70-75mm. Wear in front drive shaft splines caused vibration. Fixed with rebuild of shaft and slight lengthening. Problem not normally encountered. Brake lines needed moving.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
As eluded to by gait, there can be issues with the front driveshaft.
The double cardan joint helps, but if you increase the angle on the front uni joint too much you can get some weird noises and vibration. Ideally, the angle between the yoke and the driveshaft is close to zero degrees, but that is normally not obtainable.
You can rotate the axle slightly to resolve this problem, but that will also change your castor, so it's a bit of a judgement game. Another option is to use a second double cardan at the front, if you go for a bigger lift.
Another thing to be mindful of is the amount of travel you have in the front suspension, as this will determine how much travel you will get in the driveshaft's telescopic joint. Too much travel and it could come out, or worse.. if it bottoms out you can damage the transfer case.

yabanja

Explorer
3" Lift

My truck has a 3" lift. No problems with vibration. I built new leaves and installed spacers. U-bolts are one time useage. Most reasonably sized towns have a big rig shop that can make custom u-bolts to your specification. The one near me is called SIX STATES.

Good luck!!

Allan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles