Liquid stove storage/transport

dman93

Adventurer
So as I mentioned thinking about in another thread, I picked up a used Coleman 413H 2 burner white gas stove, after about 20 years of using a propane 2 burner with 1lb disposable cylinders. When I had my previous Coleman white gas stove, I don’t really remember how I stored them in the cars or trucks I had at the time, but looking at it now, it seems there are more parts and pieces than on the LP stove, so I’m worried about things getting shaken or banged up. It’s too big to fit in my regular camping box, so I thought I’d ask here: is it OK to just let it rattle around in my bed or a big storage bin, or should it be padded in some way? Better to store vertically or horizontal? I don’t use many hard boxes, with a short bed truck I prefer to keep things in smaller bundles and stuff ‘em into available space. I do have a bed mat. Prefer not to keep it in th cab in case of a leak/spill.

crusaderJK

Adventurer
They don't leak as long as you tighten the fuel cap and check the rubber seal once in a while....and it has to be worn pretty bad before it leaks.
I just put my stoves in the back of my Jeep. Standing upright, lying flat doesn't matter. Coleman stoves can take a beating, but give them some love and don't abuse them.

mgbeatlefan

On my 413H, I've been taking a shop rag and putting it in between the grate and lid when I throw it in the back of the ZJ. Cuts down on the rattle more than anything. It's also stopped the grate rubbing places on the lip down to bare metal.

dman93

Adventurer
On my 413H, I've been taking a shop rag and putting it in between the grate and lid when I throw it in the back of the ZJ. Cuts down on the rattle more than anything. It's also stopped the grate rubbing places on the lip down to bare metal.
Good idea, thanks.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Yeah, toss a rag or hand towel in between the parts (to eliminate rattles mostly) and then use the towel around camp. I get the retired ones from my wife and they become the best camp towels... if they get to gunky, they get burned.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Iirc the 1lb tanks fit inside a 4inch pvc pipe, cut to length 2,3 or 5 tanks) and put screw on caps with foam in between.

DCH109

Adventurer
As other said they do not leak. I put a camp towel inside to stop rattles, but mine went all over the back country in CO and was bounced around a fair bit. Never lost fuel and worked every time. that is the beuity of the Coleman stoves, if the seals are good they will last forever. Mine is a '60 version it was new in the original box when I bought it 7 years ago and everything was tight. Seals were still good

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94