37 or Bigger Tires

SexyExy

Observer
I got bashed for running 37s on this forum but all of a sudden they all simmered down after a year of adventures, I can not wait to see what responses you get considering a couple members swear by their 33s as the godsend of an off road tire size.

Back to the topic, I am currently running Milestar Patagonia MT 37x12.5R17 and can not wait until their 40x13.5R17 arrives later this year. It's quieter than any same size AT tire, weighs less than any other tire on the market, 10ply, M+S rated, and LT.

Really looking forward to see where this discussion goes.

I was able to get "some" information from Tireco (Milestar importing distributor) regarding the 40" Patagonia MT's. They should have a shipment of them arriving in about 40 days. Their online catalog is not correct on the weights, but of course, they cannot confirm the weight of the 40" tire yet. They have the weight listed essentially the same as their 38" C load range tire (one tenth of a pound difference) which they confirm cannot be correct. But, they do not know which tire is incorrect on the brochure or if both are incorrect.

I'm not sure I want the "lightest" tire available when compared to other brands of the same size.....if the tire is lighter then there is either less rubber, less belt(s) thickness or a combination of both. I don't want to jeopardize strength to save a few pounds.

I'll follow up in a month or so and see what they say then.

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
Love the IROK and they would fit my needs and they are sized and load range correct.....not crazy about the price :(

I am not a fan of the price for the Irok's either, really the only reason I am not looking at the Irok 39.5x13.5x17 tires.

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
I'm running stmaxx in a 37, Kevlar mtrs before that. The stmaxx are great on the highway, MTR we're much better offroad but didn't last long. My D rated 37's are rated to carry more weight than the factory size E tires on my ram 2500. I do everything I can to stay away from an E tire. You don't get any more sidewall plies with the higher load rating, just more tread plies. IMO e big tires are kind of a contradiction, they are heavy and don't ride as well and if you are putting big tires on your truck for off-road your ruining the heavy tow and haul characteristics so you might as well have a nice cushy ride. Most punctures I've had in all my wheeling have been sidewall. If I go up to a 40 I'm excited about a C rated tire because they air down so nice. If you need to haul heavy and tow it's best to just stick with stock size tires

Kage

Lost
... I do everything I can to stay away from an E tire. You don't get any more sidewall plies with the higher load rating, just more tread plies. IMO e big tires are kind of a contradiction, they are heavy and don't ride as well and if you are putting big tires on your truck for off-road your ruining the heavy tow and haul characteristics so you might as well have a nice cushy ride. Most punctures I've had in all my wheeling have been sidewall. If I go up to a 40 I'm excited about a C rated tire because they air down so nice. If you need to haul heavy and tow it's best to just stick with stock size tires

Really rig and tire dependent. Most of the E Rated MT tires tend to have more plies in the sidewalls than their counterparts. You have to do a little research as it will vary from brand to brand. I like running E's on my rig as it is a heavy pig. I have found that they tend to squat quite a bit less when aired down vs. the D or C rated equivalents. The extra ground clearance is nice to have, especially under the pumpkins as the 60/14 bolt seem to attract rocks.

But again, application matters. It makes about as much sense to put E rated tires on a Suzuki Samurai as it does to put P metric tires on a Diesel CCLB Dually.

I agree with you on the heavy hauling/towing - Sticking to the stock size (or close to it) is likely the best answer. Especially if you're spending most of the of time on the pavement.

FWIW - I've killed more sidewalls on C and D rated tires than E rated over the years :)

shrineboy

37’s

So, I am running 37x12.50x17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. They sling mud just as well as any mud tire, but on the highway, they are super smooth and very quiet. No howling, no mud tire tractor ride. I really like these tires. I have no idea what they are rated at, but I don’t tow.

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
I am leaning towards the Toyo M/T 37x13.50x17 tires, they are a E rated tire and rated to 4300lbs load rating as well. I am in North Carolina and there is a lot of red clay and rocks around here and we want to start venturing into Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee for weekend trips. Was thinking 40s for the extra ground clearance for when we are out on trails, just not 100% sure the extra 1 1/2 inch clearance is worth buying all new wheels and going from 4.10 gears to 4.56 gears.

We are limited to weekend trips for at least another 9 months till I retire from the Army. Then it will be game on for more and longer trips.

PwrWagon

Has anyone had any experience with the Yokohama Geolandar M/T 003? Considering them for my 2016 Power Wagon but there are fewer reviews out there for the tires since its relatively new compared to the BFG's, Toyo's and Nitto's.

VisionxOrb

Observer
Cooper is going to be making "legion" for the diesel brothers, which are supposed to be large heavy duty tires. supposedly be able to preorder tires this month but haven't seen anything on them yet.

Just found they have a "vote" up to figure out what tire sizes to release first (https://www.getfeedback.com/r/jCtrZuOV/). I think its about time for some in between sizes like 36" etc.

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I got bashed for running 37s on this forum but all of a sudden they all simmered down after a year of adventures, I can not wait to see what responses you get considering a couple members swear by their 33s as the godsend of an off road tire size.

Back to the topic, I am currently running Milestar Patagonia MT 37x12.5R17 and can not wait until their 40x13.5R17 arrives later this year. It's quieter than any same size AT tire, weighs less than any other tire on the market, 10ply, M+S rated, and LT.

Really looking forward to see where this discussion goes.

I am interested about those 40's too. I've heard good things about them.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Cooper is going to be making "legion" for the diesel brothers, which are supposed to be large heavy duty tires. supposedly be able to preorder tires this month but haven't seen anything on them yet.

Just found they have a "vote" up to figure out what tire sizes to release first (https://www.getfeedback.com/r/jCtrZuOV/). I think its about time for some in between sizes like 36" etc.

That's why I went with Toyo MT 315/70r18s. 36x13s. 35s too small. 37s too big. Just wish they made them in the RT or AT.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
That's why I went with Toyo MT 315/70r18s. 36x13s. 35s too small. 37s too big. Just wish they made them in the RT or AT.

Wow, I never noticed this size offering. I do believe you just convinced me to run that exact tire on the Power Wagon. I do agree that I wish they made that size in the RT, we absolutely love them in the 37" flavor on the F-250.

36x13x18 will be less rotational mass so hopefully it'll lead to better power and fuel economy than the 37" RT's. On the F-250 with the diesel I wasn't really concerned about the weight and height, but on the PW I do care since it's a gasser, everything helps. Maybe by the time this set wears out they will offer that size in the RT's?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles