37 or Bigger Tires

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
Who is running tires bigger then 37s and what brand and how do you like them?

I am currently running 37x12.5x17 Toyo R/T tires and I am looking at possibly going to a bigger tires and not sure which tire I want to go to. I want to stay with a E rate tire because I do tow a few times a week.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Can't wait to see the responces

I got bashed for running 37s on this forum but all of a sudden they all simmered down after a year of adventures, I can not wait to see what responses you get considering a couple members swear by their 33s as the godsend of an off road tire size.

Back to the topic, I am currently running Milestar Patagonia MT 37x12.5R17 and can not wait until their 40x13.5R17 arrives later this year. It's quieter than any same size AT tire, weighs less than any other tire on the market, 10ply, M+S rated, and LT.

Really looking forward to see where this discussion goes.

Ivan

Lost in Space
Subscribing as Patagonia's are in my future. Really would like to see the feedback as well.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I am running 37" Toyo RT's as well on the Ford, I am likely going to put the same on the Power Wagon here soon unless I can convince myself to wait for the new BFG KM3 MT's to be released instead. I am very tempted to do the AEV 3" axle-shift lift and high clearance fenders so that I can run 40's on the PW, but I know it'll absolutely destroy the already abysmal fuel mileage and would require regearing to 4.88's to have any semblance of power. Nearly 10 years ago I ran 40" Pitbull Rockers on a Jeep and I absolutely loved them, I would look into those again if I were running a full-time trail rig and I've always loved the way the Maxxis Trepador Bias M8060's looked in the larger sizes as well, but I fear they are insanely loud, unbalanced, and rough at highway speeds.

SexyExy

Observer
I've been looking for a radial 40" E load range tire in 17" wheel diameter and have only found one:

http://gladiatortires.com/tires/light-truck/xcomp-mt/

Has anybody run or have any experience with these Gladiator mud tires?? It looks like they are Chinese...would really like to know how they work out for roundness and driving qualities.

There are a crap ton of 40x13.5x17 tires in C load range and even a few in D load range. I don't need the weight capacity, but I'm a firm believer that an E load range helps avoid off road punctures and damage.

If anybody has any other E load range 40x13.5x17 they know of, please post up. I need it to have "decent" street manners since most of my off road travels will involve a minimum of 5 to 8 hours of on road driving each way.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I've been looking for a radial 40" E load range tire in 17" wheel diameter and have only found one:

Has anybody run or have any experience with these Gladiator mud tires?? It looks like they are Chinese...would really like to know how they work out for roundness and driving qualities.

There are a crap ton of 40x13.5x17 tires in C load range and even a few in D load range. I don't need the weight capacity, but I'm a firm believer that an E load range helps avoid off road punctures and damage.

If anybody has any other E load range 40x13.5x17 they know of, please post up. I need it to have "decent" street manners since most of my off road travels will involve a minimum of 5 to 8 hours of on road driving each way.

I think you are going to be hard pressed to find a Load Range E tire in a 17" wheel period, let alone in that large of a size, they are few and far between. I understand your concerns with a lower load range, but I wouldn't hesitate to run a well known brand/model in a Load Range D, you'll have more options and availability as well. If you are willing to go to a 20" or 22" wheel there are a few more options, on a 40" tall tire the larger wheel diameter won't matter and you will get better on road handling characteristics as well.

RPhil

Adventurer
You said you want to stay with an E, but aren't your current 37x12.5R17's listed technically as a D? (https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-rt-on-off-road-rugged-terrain-tires)

I am in a similar boat and have been doing quite a bit of research on D vs. E and load ratings, widths, etc. in various 37" offerings over the past few weeks for my Excursion. I think I have finally convinced myself on a set of 37x12.5R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, which are listed as a D. However, it has more maximum loaded capacity than the 37x13.5R17 E (https://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/ridge-grappler-light-truck-tire/). I was considering the Toyo RT but have concerns over their snow/slush/ice performance.

I am still a bit confused as to why the Ridge Grappler's 13.5 load range E variant has a lower listed maximum capacity than the 12.5 load range D. This seems counter-intuitive to me as I was under the impression that the ply rating had a direct correlation with that tire's ability to handle higher pressures (as shown by the 65 psi max air pressure for the E vs. 50 psi max air pressure for the D) and, therefore, more load. Could anyone clarify this for me?

SexyExy

Observer
On my Excursion, the current tires are Pro Comp all terrains in 325/80/16's D load range. They don't even make this size anymore, but it has served me well. I'm planning more trips in 2018 and 2019 and would like to go 17" rim with 37"-40" tires since with my current 37" tire my highway rpms are a little higher than they need to be. (I'm running 4.56 gears).

I've started buying my tires from simpletire.com as they have very competitive prices, free shipping and no tax. They also have one of the best data banks for looking up tire types, sizes, etc.

37x12.50x17 (huge assortment of tires, some brands that I've never even heard of):
https://simpletire.com/catalog?width=37&ratio=12.5&rim=17

37x13.50x17:
https://simpletire.com/catalog?width=37&ratio=12.5&rim=17
The Toyo MT in 37" diameter is available in E load range once you go to the 13.5 section width.

40x13.5x17:
https://simpletire.com/catalog?width=40&ratio=13.5&rim=17

If staying with the 16" rim, this Toyo MT is load range D with a very good weight capacity for a 38" tire but it is a fatty:
https://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/T...spx?t_c=13&t_s=536&t_pt=101509&t_pn=TOY360480

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
Yes my RT are a D rate tire and I want to go back to a E rate tire. So far the only E rate tire above a 37 on a 17 inch wheel are the Irok radial 39.5x13.5x17. They are a E rate with a load capacity of 4080 pounds. Anything else I would have to jump up to a 20 inch wheel. I have yet to find any 20 inch wheels I like as well lol.

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab 4x4 5.9 Cummins with the 48RE transmission. I would go to 4.56 gears if I went to a 39.5 or 40 inch tire. Just want to see what people are running on their full size rigs.

SexyExy

Observer
Yes my RT are a D rate tire and I want to go back to a E rate tire. So far the only E rate tire above a 37 on a 17 inch wheel are the Irok radial 39.5x13.5x17. They are a E rate with a load capacity of 4080 pounds. Anything else I would have to jump up to a 20 inch wheel. I have yet to find any 20 inch wheels I like as well lol.

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab 4x4 5.9 Cummins with the 48RE transmission. I would go to 4.56 gears if I went to a 39.5 or 40 inch tire. Just want to see what people are running on their full size rigs.

This Gladiator X-Comp mud tire comes in a 40" tire and 10 ply with a 4300 lb capacity (according to their brochure below). So far, its the only one I've found but I don't know anybody that has run it to get an honest opinion. Smaller sizes aren't a good representation as it is very hard to make a 40" tire x 17" rim that is round and can be balanced. It can be hit and miss, even with the C load range tires of the major name brands. Lots of rubber there to contend with.

Explorerinil

Observer

You will love the irok's, I had a set on my 01dodge, great tire

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I had no issues with 37s on my F250. It allowed me to go to a larger wheel (20") which meant less sidewall flex with the speed these new trucks are able to carry.

I'm not sure I saw a difference other than looks, as compared to a 35, for overland style trips.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ckupq

Observer
I got bashed for running 37s on this forum but all of a sudden they all simmered down after a year of adventures, I can not wait to see what responses you get considering a couple members swear by their 33s as the godsend of an off road tire size.

Back to the topic, I am currently running Milestar Patagonia MT 37x12.5R17 and can not wait until their 40x13.5R17 arrives later this year. It's quieter than any same size AT tire, weighs less than any other tire on the market, 10ply, M+S rated, and LT.

Really looking forward to see where this discussion goes.

I remember that as well. There used to not be as much of a selection for that tire size a few years ago. Couple the added size selection, the wider fender openings, beefier drivetrains and larger vehicles and it was only a matter of time. Hell I think even the Ram 2500 and F250 will fit a 35-37 with no lift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior