Front Runner Spare tire mount fire grill grate... Yeah or Nay?

Rezarf <><

Explorer
So our camping is taking us more and more remote than ever before and we desire to be surrounded by solitude and leave the crowds behind. That said, we are noticing that we have lost the ability to cook over the fire grates that are found at more established campgrounds. My curiosity has increased around the Front Runner BBQ Grate spare tire mounted thingy.

For those that have one I am curious about a few things:

1. How do you attach yours? I am assuming a ratchet strap would do the trick?
2. Do any of you use yours with a Trash-a-roo or similar? I LOVE to haul my trash in that thing?
3. Does the soot annoy you to the point where you find yourself not wanting to bring it along?
4. Does the size of the legs truly adjust to a 34.5" tire mine are BFG KO2 35's (FR says it fits a 35)?
5. Does it consistently span the fire rings you use it over?
6. Would you buy it again?

Thank you in advance, I prefer a fire to cook on over a stove for most things, this looks like a slick way to bring a grate along and leave the Weber grill at home.

front-runner-spare-tire-mount-braai-bbq-grate-VACC023-1.jpg

front-runner-spare-tire-mount-braai-bbq-grate-VACC023-5.jpg

krick3tt

Adventurer
Don't own one yet. It does look like that answer to 'What do I cook on with no fire ring' and your questions are the same ones that I have before I go that route. I have a lot of FR stuff and although I have thought about the on-the-tire grille I often go where there is a fire ban. Might be an issue for many of my trips.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I've had the same question, although fires are almost always taboo here in Cali.

Why not buy or build a small simple rectangular grate and slide it in the trasheroo? I'm envisioning something like my laptop bag with a separate compartment to slide in the computer. Should be a pretty easy thing to accomplish, and doesn't affect the ability to carry trash in bags.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have one of those (rectangular grille) as well. I made a bag from OD canvas just to keep the soot in check. still I find that carrying it around almost a waste as there are so many fire bans. My campfire in a can has a grate that will hold my fry pan so that is how I have to go now.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Sir, I'd like to introduce you to the coolest thing in the whole world of camping. The large Snow Peak fire pit.

I thought they were silly and expensive for years until I bought one. Here are the highlights:
  • All sorts of accessories for cooking (grill, cast iron griddle, cast iron grill, iron grill).
  • Can be used with wood or bricketts
  • No more looking for existing fire rings
  • No more building new fire rings
  • Makes camp cooking fun.
  • Case for hauling dirty fire pit in car
  • Can be purchased one-part-at-a-time if you like.
  • Big enough for 1 - 2 people IMO.

I have nothing to do with Drifta or Snow Peak. Just really like mine. Of course, if you need a big fire for a lot of people, this isn't going to do the trick.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Not interested in the snow peak stuff, I love what I have, however, I just want the ability to cook a steak over the fire. That said, after the first few posts I realized that a Weber round grill grate is only $20 and tossing it into the Trash-a-roo is easy peasy. That might be how I roll until I prove to myself I'll use it on trips.

Ray_G

Explorer
Nothing wrong with the grate, but I have found that in areas where ground fires are prohibited having a more robust stove is useful. Rather than go snowpeak, I went Volcano 2: https://www.volcanogrills.com/volcano-2.html
We put it in a peli, though it has a bag, and have used it with wood/charcoal/propane to cook, and wood as a small fire pit. Very pleased with it.
fullsizeoutput_1ca1.jpgfullsizeoutput_1ca2.jpg
2016-09-03 22.11.06.jpg

chet6.7

Explorer
Not interested in the snow peak stuff, I love what I have, however, I just want the ability to cook a steak over the fire. That said, after the first few posts I realized that a Weber round grill grate is only $20 and tossing it into the Trash-a-roo is easy peasy. That might be how I roll until I prove to myself I'll use it on trips.
I used a grate for many years,it works well enough and as you noted it takes up very little space.Personally,I don't build fires much,fire bans,wood availability, ect.I did use a small hibachi years ago,I saw Alton Brown using one of these for a tuna steak.
https://www.amazon.com/Weber-7447-C...rd_wg=rHVZv&psc=1&refRID=3P7EB5JM3F3AX0BT8Q5P

Flboarder

Buddy I camp with has one. We thought it was stupid when he won it in a raffle. Turns out it is absolutely amazing and he takes it on every trip now.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I have one but I find myself taking the Walmart folding camp grate more-and-more instead. Instead of fighting with my Trash-a-roo, I just throw the Walmart grate inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior