Big Bend trip anyone...?

1range

Adventurer
Hey guys, anyone in the surrounding area of the small park known as Big Bend interested in a long weekend trip down there... If you show any interest post below if not let this thread disappear into the dark dark interwebs!

Early summer is what I was thinking before it gets too hot obv.

I do not know exactly when you plan to go, but I am going next week.

March 13th to March 18th. Leaving March 13th at about 10pm. I am driving all 10 hours through the night to get to Chisos Mountain lodge restaurant for breakfast at 7am.

Wanted to do Black Bear with someone or some people, if not, I will do it alone.

What specific dates did you have in mind to go there?

I am hoping the weather would be good next week. I would even love for it to rain while I am there so the trails are not too dusty.

Last edited:
I will be there March 9-14. Mostly hiking, I will be in my 4x4 Xterra.

Too bad you are basically leaving when I am getting there. Post a pic of your rig here. I may recognize you that way and honk.

What trails are you hiking? Where are you staying? Hotel or camping? I am staying at a hotel.

This will be my 4th time visiting Big Bend, but my first time visiting during Spring Break. I hear it will be parked! In the evenings, since not much to do in the Big bend area as far as night life, wait time at the best restaurants will be an hour to 2 hours and maybe more for the top restaurants there with life music. People go in and do not want to go out. Eat a plate of food and drink for like an hour or more.

basicfish

Observer
Big Bend at Spring break

Big Bend at spring break is a mess, i have been to the park a few times before, and will never go back at spring break again. just too many people. Most folks don't leave the camp ground. If you are at the basin, it an hour to Terlingua and the speed limit is 45 at best. We hiked a lot so end of the day we were ready to eat, watch some stars and call it a day.

seminole 1.jpg

Big Bend at spring break is a mess, i have been to the park a few times before, and will never go back at spring break again. just too many people. Most folks don't leave the camp ground. If you are at the basin, it an hour to Terlingua and the speed limit is 45 at best. We hiked a lot so end of the day we were ready to eat, watch some stars and call it a day.

View attachment 438898

I heard all kinds of stories about Big Bend being a mess during Spring Break. Actually, it was not too bad as being a mess. It seemed busy, but that place is so wide and vast that it did not affect it much.

The main places that got affected...

(1) Chisos basin from 8am till 1pm. The place was just too packed. rangers had to stop people 5 miles away at the junction where you turn to the street called Basin to do the 5 miles to Chisos Basin. The traffic was because many people were going to eat at the best buffet breakfast restaurant in the area, which is at Chisos. Also, people were going to hit the trails, which most start from down there.

It was actually nice to see big bend so busy.

(2) The popular restaurants in Terlingua had a 2 hours wait for dinner. talk about a long wait. atleast 1/3 of the people in line had to give up and go somewhere else for food. Thereby shortening the wait time for tyhe others who stayed and were bent on eating at Starlight.

I did enjoy my trip very well.

Here are a few pictures...

here is a link to my thread for more pics...

http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/218-what-did-you-do-your-nissan-armada-today/24056-2010-nissan-maxima-se-houston-tx-54.html

NEx34TT.jpg

uIXgHn8.jpg

loSKXzZ.jpg

0Bx9xsg.jpg

5zUl83F.jpg

gaXqHbk.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles