Van vs. Truck Camper

rruff

Explorer
So my new idea is to buy a cheap camper, gut the interior back to the bones (I find most of the campers have horrible interiors) and just refit it with what I really need. My question now is what sort of truck to buy.

How much room do you need? You might be better off building your own shell, particularly if you don't need to stand up in it. Something tall enough so you can sit up straight on the bed works pretty well IME. 1/2" ply and 1x2s, with a fiberglass exterior will work. If you don't like FG, canvas and Titebond is an easier alternative.

I'm going to guess that you could afford more than an $8k truck, but since it's a 2 year stay you don't want to spend a lot. And I'd rethink that. Get something reliable that will do what you want, and you'll be able to sell it easily enough when you are done.

phsycle

Adventurer
How much interior space do you need?
A 2500 4x4 Suburban will cost roughly half what a comparable truck will, and is already enclosed and weathertight.
Not nearly as much space as a truck camper, or even a van, but I "bachelor camp" in the back of mine just fine...

Ding ding. Winner. Although I don’t see the need for a 2500 for this guy but a Burb would make a fine platform. No need for spending money on a camper. Take out the seats and build it to you liking.

https://youtu.be/0kPsI3fL72M

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
Ding ding. Winner. Although I don't see the need for a 2500 for this guy but a Burb would make a fine platform. No need for spending money on a camper. Take out the seats and build it to you liking.

Could cut a hole in the top and build an extension for more room as well...

deserteagle56

Adventurer
You must have one tough van!

No tougher than any other. I bought it to use and the pin striping (plus fender flares cracked by brush) shows it. Also, multiple mud flaps torn off the thing. The shape and construction of the van helps it slip through the tree limbs - something no slide-in camper, pop-ups included, could do without damage. And I LOVE being able to access the cabin (driver controls) without having to go outside, something that always annoys me when using my slide-in.
P1040643r.jpg

Di0n

Canada only has a 15 year import law (IIRC) unlike the US's 25

So you might be able to get a Delica in your price range...being from NZ, you should be familiar with them.

http://www.autotrader.ca/cars/mitsu...-1&hprc=True&wcp=True&inMarket=advancedSearch

Toyota Townace too.

http://www.canadianlisted.com/toyota+townace/listing

Yeah I looked for a Toyota Hiace 4x4 because I’ve owned a few over here in NZ that I fitted out for camping, they’re an awesome platform. Mitsubishi don’t have a very good name in terms of reliability here but I do still like the Delica. However I have been warned by a few people to avoid Japanese imports over there as apparently parts are hard to get?

I will be travelling with my partner so that sort of rules out the SUVs and smaller vans.

Di0n

I just stumbled across the Northern Lite 6-10 and Bigfoot 6-11 slide on campers while doing some research. They’re described as ultra lightweight for use on smaller import pickups. Has anyone got any experience with them?

They seem reasonably priced and it means I could buy a more economical smaller truck like a Tacoma or 1/2 ton truck.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
A non-clapped out Tacoma for under $8k? Good luck with that. Let’s not even get into baselining it after purchase. And Tacoma’s are nice but same MPG as big trucks. I wouldn’t call them economical by any means.

Clutch

<---Pass
I just stumbled across the Northern Lite 6-10 and Bigfoot 6-11 slide on campers while doing some research. They’re described as ultra lightweight for use on smaller import pickups. Has anyone got any experience with them?

They seem reasonably priced and it means I could buy a more economical smaller truck like a Tacoma or 1/2 ton truck.

Those campers are very nice, shouldn't be too hard to find one either. Other alternatives to the Tacoma are the Ford Ranger, Chevy S10/Colorado, Nissan Frontier, Dodge Dakota....some of the Dodges and Chevy's had V8's in them. All of them do "ok" on fuel, but nothing like the diesels you guys have in NZ. With that camper on, won't be the fastest thing on the road, but of you're not in a hurry you'll be fine.

Another idea is getting a box truck or cube van. May look in the commercial classifieds might find a 4WD. Echoing what the others said, going to be a little hard finding something that isn't worn totally out for $8000, but not impossible.

8088e87b8ecb5b37bfe8bba2bb7d5beb_lg.jpg

Yeah I looked for a Toyota Hiace 4x4 because I’ve owned a few over here in NZ that I fitted out for camping, they’re an awesome platform. Mitsubishi don’t have a very good name in terms of reliability here but I do still like the Delica. However I have been warned by a few people to avoid Japanese imports over there as apparently parts are hard to get?

I will be travelling with my partner so that sort of rules out the SUVs and smaller vans.

Parts might be hard to get because they weren't initially sold there. I would ask some of the owners and see what they say. Oh...ok must of missed you're traveling with another.

Last edited:

Pangle

Wanderer
As someone who converts ambos, I would most def buy an ambo at auction and fit it how you wanted. Plenty of storage, shore power, inverter, insulated, 4x4, you can get the turck versions all day long in your budget. Yes they are bigger and wider but as far as compromise goes they cannot be beat in my mind. I have sold two recently in which they new owners are living full time.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Canada only has a 15 year import law (IIRC) unlike the US's 25

So you might be able to get a Delica in your price range...being from NZ, you should be familiar with them.

http://www.autotrader.ca/cars/mitsu...-1&hprc=True&wcp=True&inMarket=advancedSearch

Toyota Townace too.

http://www.canadianlisted.com/toyota+townace/listing

$10500CAN for a 4x4 van with 72000km (about $8500US with 44000 miles)

That seems almost like a no-brainer. Do they really have such a bad reputation for reliability?

24566529-20b0-4529-9eaf-ecbbbb3bf281.jpg

27e8c041-650f-46ff-91d7-e0447994e0cc.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
$10500CAN for a 4x4 van with 72000km (about $8500US with 44000 miles)

That seems almost like a no-brainer. Do they really have such a bad reputation for reliability?

Have a buddy that moved to NZ a couple years ago that has one, he seems to love his...he does some repairs here and there, but his is old and has high KM's on it.

phsycle

Adventurer
Those campers are very nice, shouldn't be too hard to find one either. Other alternatives to the Tacoma are the Ford Ranger, Chevy S10/Colorado, Nissan Frontier, Dodge Dakota....some of the Dodges and Chevy's had V8's in them. All of them do "ok" on fuel, but nothing like the diesels you guys have in NZ. With that camper on, won't be the fastest thing on the road, but of you're not in a hurry you'll be fine..

Not to mention the payload those guys get on their Rangers and Hilux's over there. Over 2x as much. And I could see a Tacoma or Colorado loaded down like that with the slide in getting 3/4 ton mileage.

I still like the Suburban idea. For 3 people? Not ideal. But for 2? I think it would make it a nice exploration rig with plenty of room. Nice balance between off-road capability, interior room, and ability to stealth camp.

Clutch

<---Pass
Not to mention the payload those guys get on their Rangers and Hilux's over there. Over 2x as much. And I could see a Tacoma or Colorado loaded down like that with the slide in getting 3/4 ton mileage.

I still like the Suburban idea. For 3 people? Not ideal. But for 2? I think it would make it a nice exploration rig with plenty of room. Nice balance between off-road capability, interior room, and ability to stealth camp.

Yeah loaded down our midsize trucks get horrible mpg. Kinda why I suggested a Delica...it is a van, 4WD, and some in diesel. At the price range he is looking at. Steering wheel is on the "wrong" side too....Dion should be used to that. ;) :)

Believe the OP mentioned he wants to do long term traveling...even the large size of the Suburban, it would drive me nuts long term. Maybe because I have done my fair share of sleeping in SUV's and pickup beds, and not has tough as I used to be.

Would almost suggest forgoing a 4WD and find a small Class C RV...and be comfortable for 2 years. Years ago friend of mine picked up one for $3500...low mile, needed minimal work...and he lived out of it for 5 years to save money for a cross country bicycle trip.

Can stand up to change clothes, cook.... has a toilet and shower. Seats/table to work, eat, and hangout. Partner can nap in the over-head bunk while you do somethign else, vice a versa.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Yeah loaded down our midsize trucks get horrible mpg. Kinda why I suggested a Delica...it is a van, 4WD, and some in diesel. At the price range he is looking at. Steering wheel is on the "wrong" side too....Dion should be used to that. ;) :)

Believe the OP mentioned he wants to do long term traveling...even the large size of the Suburban, it would drive me nuts long term. Maybe because I have done my fair share of sleeping in SUV's and pickup beds, and not has tough as I used to be.

Would almost suggest forgoing a 4WD and find a small Class C RV...and be comfortable for 2 years. Years ago friend of mine picked up one for $3500...low mile, needed minimal work...and he lived out of it for 5 years to save money for a cross country bicycle trip.

Can stand up to change clothes, cook.... has a toilet and shower. Seats/table to work, eat, and hangout. Partner can nap in the over-head bunk while you do somethign else, vice a versa.

Small RV definitely has advantages and there are a lot of dirt roads you can go down in 2wd. But I would hate myself if I didn't (or couldn't) take the opportunity to see places like this:

31817037.jpg

No RV or van (non high clearance 4WD) would or should take roads like this. In a Suburban? No problem. Parts are cheap and plenty as well. If you need stand up room, maybe one of those SUV tents will do. I personally think given this guy's budget and what he wants to do, it'll be hard to beat a Suburban.

Clutch

<---Pass
Small RV definitely has advantages and there are a lot of dirt roads you can go down in 2wd. But I would hate myself if I didn't (or couldn't) take the opportunity to see places like this:

No RV or van (non high clearance 4WD) would or should take roads like this. In a Suburban? No problem. Parts are cheap and plenty as well. If you need stand up room, maybe one of those SUV tents will do. I personally think given this guy's budget and what he wants to do, it'll be hard to beat a Suburban.

I have been down that road, Trail of the Ancients, yeah? ...wouldn't take a Class C down it...plain 2WD van can handle that. I was thinking just a live in a comfortable trailhead parker, then hike and/or bike in.

Though I will admit...I was out screwing around this past Monday in the foothills of the mountains South of us...snow melt made for some super slick mud at higher elevation, damn glad I had 4WD as I threw my snow tires back on a couple weeks ago for some late storms we have been getting, they are horrible in the mud. I almost slid it off the road coming back down, but a locker and a little goose of the throttle pulled it out of disaster, made me love my Tacoma again.

28576632_10156235264594630_574068436121358538_n.jpg

28661027_10156235264599630_1465618008597016155_n.jpg

Blurry pic, because I had to zoom...but saw a wild horse.

28576745_10156235264589630_6724795989252871267_n.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles