Van vs. Truck Camper

85Chevota

Small RV definitely has advantages and there are a lot of dirt roads you can go down in 2wd. But I would hate myself if I didn't (or couldn't) take the opportunity to see places like this:

No RV or van (non high clearance 4WD) would or should take roads like this. In a Suburban? No problem. Parts are cheap and plenty as well. If you need stand up room, maybe one of those SUV tents will do. I personally think given this guy's budget and what he wants to do, it'll be hard to beat a Suburban.

This is a very well maintained road that any regular 2wd could handle if the weather is fine. Class B and C RVs go on roads like this all the time.

phsycle

Adventurer
I have been down that road, Trail of the Ancients, yeah? ...wouldn't take a Class C down it...plain 2WD van can handle that. I was thinking just a live in a comfortable trailhead parker, then hike and/or bike in.

This is a very well maintained road that any regular 2wd could handle if the weather is fine. Class B and C RVs go on roads like this all the time.

Geez Louise, ok, fine. But have you ever been there during or right after a rain storm? Even if the weather is fine, days after when parts of the road has been washed out? Or explored any of the other surrounding areas? I wouldn't take a 2WD anything down those roads. Me personally. Others may be more brave.

But the POINT was, there are a lot of roads, especially in the southwest, that a high-clearance 4WD is simply necessary. And of course, if he's going to be up in Canada, 4WD would be very nice to have during the winter months. You can get by with chains, but......me? No thanks.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Geez Louise, ok, fine. But have you ever been there during or right after a rain storm? Even if the weather is fine, days after when parts of the road has been washed out? Or explored any of the other surrounding areas? I wouldn't take a 2WD anything down those roads. Me personally. Others may be more brave.

But the POINT was, there are a lot of roads, especially in the southwest, that a high-clearance 4WD is simply necessary. And of course, if he's going to be up in Canada, 4WD would be very nice to have during the winter months. You can get by with chains, but......me? No thanks.

Ha ha! I did later state I was awfully happy I had 4WD this past Monday.....mang there is something else about the mud here...snot slick and like brick mortar at the same time. It isn't like AZ though the terrain is similar...there when it gets wet it is like velcro...here, man I dunno...it is something else! Put you into a ditch right quick if you're not paying attention...or even when you are!

rruf might be on to something...buy a fullsize pickup and slap together a camper yourself out of wood...doesn't have to be pretty or last very long. heck, might be able to sell it for what you have into it after 2 years.

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/build-camper/

truck_site_glacier1.jpg

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Ha ha! I did later state I was awfully happy I had 4WD this past Monday.....mang there is something else about the mud here...snot slick and like brick mortar at the same time. It isn't like AZ though the terrain is similar...there when it gets wet it is like velcro...here, man I dunno.

Martin Jumper might be on to something...buy a fullsize pickup and slap together a camper yourself out of wood...doesn't have to be pretty or last very long.

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/build-camper/

I can just imagine that thing falling apart halfway down Hole in the Rock Road. Rattling every nail loose! :D Plus, that's gotta cost several hundred dollars. I think it'd be cheaper just to find a used shell.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I can just imagine that thing falling apart halfway down Hole in the Rock Road. Rattling every nail loose! :D Plus, that's gotta cost several hundred dollars. I think it'd be cheaper just to find a used shell.
I think most any shell is going to be suspect eventually from wear and tear. My WilderNest is about as simple as they come and after a while you have to start fixing the gel coat and with enough beating the fiberglass will start fracturing.

Depending on the amount of comfort vs. ruggedness Dion is after I've always thought those commercial slide-in bodies you see on utility trucks would be cool to outfit. You usually see them on the telecom service trucks.

master-75-utility-truck-body-chevrolet-sylverado.jpg

Gichner Slide In.JPG

Depending on what they were used for they are occasionally fitted with workbenches to splice fiber optic cables, which requires a clean and dust-free environment so they are mobile labs and already have some environmental control, at least an A/C-heat unit on them. Since they have to repair trunks in some out of the way places it's not unusual for them to be 4WD. Finding something within budget might not be easy, though.

fiber-optic-splicing-truck-272889777474-4.jpg

fiber-optic-splicing-truck-272889777474-0.jpg

truck-body-pw.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass

That is why you use screws! :D

Shoot most of those slide-ins and travel trailers, RV's and whatnot are stapled together wood anyways. isn't Strega doing a wood framed camper???

http://belairshells.com/wood-n-alum

CC14.23082244_std.jpg

wood_2001.269150508_std.jpg

My thought it is going to be only used for 2 years...so who cares. Just slap something together, would only take a weekend to do. Used slide-in camper bought on the cheap is going to be a piece of ******** anyways...why not build some thing from scratch to the size you need?

Anyways just a thought.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Depending on the amount of comfort vs. ruggedness Dion is after I've always thought those commercial slide-in bodies you see on utility trucks would be cool to outfit. You usually see them on the telecom service trucks. >snip<

I have always wanted to do small school bus.

maxresdefault.jpg

rruff

Explorer

Screws and glue. Cover the whole thing with fiberglass or at least Titebond and canvas. No unnecessary penetrations of the skin. Old campers and shells usually leak. It isn't hard to beat that.

Getting back to the suburban idea, I'd cut out the top and build a shell to give it more headroom. Would be a pretty cool rig.

phsycle

Adventurer
Getting back to the suburban idea, I'd cut out the top and build a shell to give it more headroom. Would be a pretty cool rig.

There are companies that do it for Econolines. It would be super cool to do one on a Suburban.

http://www.fiberine.com/GVMR_Inc/Full_Van_Size_Top.html#11

phsycle

Adventurer

Shoot most of those slide-ins and travel trailers, RV's and whatnot are stapled together wood anyways. isn't Strega doing a wood framed camper???

I am looking for a shell for my Tacoma and this is the reason why I’m leaning to an aluminum shell. Alucab preferably, but they are not cheap. Contractor shell seems to be the way to go.

Clutch

<---Pass
Screws and glue. Cover the whole thing with fiberglass or at least Titebond and canvas. No unnecessary penetrations of the skin. Old campers and shells usually leak. It isn't hard to beat that.

Yep!

It would be!

I am looking for a shell for my Tacoma and this is the reason why I'm leaning to an aluminum shell. Alucab preferably, but they are not cheap. Contractor shell seems to be the way to go.

You can usually find a contractor shell on the used market. One of those lawn care or pest control places may have even have a couple sitting in the back lot.

phsycle

Adventurer
My cousin has a F250 of that vintage. It is constantly having little issues, albeit not stranded-on-the-road issues, but little things that just keep breaking. And I don't think he's gotten over 8MPG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94