Van vs. Truck Camper

Di0n

Hi there,

In a few weeks I am moving to Canada for a 2 year working holiday. When I arrive I am planning to buy a vehicle and convert it for camping/long term travel. I had pretty much decided I would get something like a 2008 GMC Savana LWB or similar. But I’ve always thought 4x4 would be nice so I can get off the beaten track a bit but I can’t find or afford a 4x4 van, so today I started looking at slide on campers for pickup trucks.

So my new idea is to buy a cheap camper, gut the interior back to the bones (I find most of the campers have horrible interiors) and just refit it with what I really need. My question now is what sort of truck to buy.

I have up to $8000 to spend on the truck and will be looking around the Vancouver area. Should I be looking at 2000-2005 era trucks or the newer 2005-2012? Are Ford, Chevy/GMC and Dodge all pretty similar or is one a lot better than the others? I found a long bed extended cab 2011 Silverado 1500 4x4, would it cope with a camper on the back or would I need to step up to a 2500?

I have a lot of mechanical knowledge so usually know what I am looking for, but I've never dealt with American vehicles before so could really use some advice!

So any advice is welcome. Is it a good idea or do you all think I should just stick to the van idea.

Cheers,

Dion

Last edited:

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
Excellent!

Have you considered a van and then outfitting the cargo area? Might be a faster conversion depending on your desired level of comfort.

Last edited:

Marine

Adventurer
I like trucks myself more versatility. But a van you would be completely enclosed, and wouldn't have a camper in your bed all the time. But fir long term I would take a van. My longest stay in my truck was 2 weeks. Before I had enough.

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
You're going to have an awful hard time finding a good truck up here for 8k man. Best of luck!

Di0n

My main reason for considering a truck is that I can get a 4x4 so I can explore places a van won’t go. I want to visit National Parts both in Canada and the USA and don’t plan to spend a lot of time in cities, although I might look for a place to live and work during the winter, but then I can slide the camper off and still use the truck to get around.

Di0n

You're going to have an awful hard time finding a good truck up here for 8k man. Best of luck!

I found a few trucks online that I would be keen to look at, but it does seem that finding a decent low mileage (under 200,000km) truck in my price range could be difficult.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Most slide-in campers are way too much overload for a half-ton pickup! A lot of them will exceed the manufacturer's weight ratings even with a 3/4 ton. Trust me, I know! I had my slide-in on a 3/4 ton and quickly ended up with a dually. Most slide-ins, when fully loaded with camping gear, will be ~ 4,000 lbs. Of course, if you gut in and remove all appliances, bathroom, etc. it will be a lot lighter but it still weighs more than you think. Now, some of the pop-up campers will work on a half ton - but I'd hate to have to live in one for more than just a few days.
Also, unless it's a pop-up camper you have to consider the height. A lot of weight way up high - large pucker factor when on anything but a level surface. Do you camp in forests? Tree limbs are not kind to camper bodies and people tend to forget the limbs that are higher than the cab until they hear the "crunch".
I have and use both. But when seriously off-road, in brush and trees and rougher terrain, it's the van all the way.

phsycle

Adventurer
My main reason for considering a truck is that I can get a 4x4 so I can explore places a van won't go. I want to visit National Parts both in Canada and the USA and don't plan to spend a lot of time in cities, although I might look for a place to live and work during the winter, but then I can slide the camper off and still use the truck to get around.

No question that a van won't serve your needs (unless you get a Sportsmobile). A truck will let you go further into the back country. I think you are on the right track. If you get a 1/2 ton, you need a light camper like a FWC Hawk. And as noted below by deserteagle, pay attention to your payload. Heavy slide in campers are nice, but when you're on rough roads/off camber stuff, not fun. Go lightweight.

Most slide-in campers are way too much overload for a half-ton pickup! A lot of them will exceed the manufacturer's weight ratings even with a 3/4 ton. Trust me, I know! I had my slide-in on a 3/4 ton and quickly ended up with a dually. Most slide-ins, when fully loaded with camping gear, will be ~ 4,000 lbs. Of course, if you gut in and remove all appliances, bathroom, etc. it will be a lot lighter but it still weighs more than you think. Now, some of the pop-up campers will work on a half ton - but I'd hate to have to live in one for more than just a few days.
Also, unless it's a pop-up camper you have to consider the height. A lot of weight way up high - large pucker factor when on anything but a level surface. Do you camp in forests? Tree limbs are not kind to camper bodies and people tend to forget the limbs that are higher than the cab until they hear the "crunch".
I have and use both. But when seriously off-road, in brush and trees and rougher terrain, it's the van all the way.

You must have one tough van!

I had a 4x4 conversion van (short body) and have always had a 4x4 chevy z71. For me the van just didn't have the cargo space as I also travel with a family of 5. I was putting cargo around the seats and floor, which was just not as safe as having it all in the bed of a pickup. Found out that the truck could really do everything the van could and more. You can add a topper to the truck bed that will be just as if not more roomy than the inside of a van without a poptop or hightop. You can also add a pop up camper and the used ones are easier to find than a 4x4 van. I didn't like the doghouse and felt the peddles were a bit too far to the left. Gas was terrible on the van, now I average 22mpg highway with 2018 model (5.3L). The ride of the van was pretty bad too, even with new shocks, springs, and tires.

Not a big fan of the slide in campers as they can bounce around on the bed when offroading, but still think they are a great option. Have read the toppers can also crack eventually under harsh use. Might consider a soft top or perhaps a roof top tent mounted on top of the bed. Personally, for the money, I think a truck and popup tent camper or other small camper is hard to beat.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Have you seen Cave Campers? They make a 750 lb basic truck camper. No kitchen or bathroom, really just a couple of bunks. I have no experience with them but I found them online today while browsing.

Di0n

Thanks for the replies. Seems like a F250 or Silverado 2500 are what I need to look for. Or possibly a Dodge Ram.

As for campers, I’m looking at really cheap older models that I won’t feel bad stripping the interior out of. A pop top sounds like a good option for a lot of reasons but what are they like when it gets cold? Also are they safe in bear country?

WrenchMonkey

Mechanical Animal
How much interior space do you need?
A 2500 4x4 Suburban will cost roughly half what a comparable truck will, and is already enclosed and weathertight.
Not nearly as much space as a truck camper, or even a van, but I "bachelor camp" in the back of mine just fine...

85Chevota

I used a truck with slide-in camper for the same purpose you're looking at, just exploring state and national parks and camping in the electric only sites. The truck had 4x4 but honestly, I never used it on any state or national park roads that I used to get to the lakes of hiking trails. The only time I used 4x4 was to get out of swampy ground when I tried to park it too far into a ditch. My biggest problem was having to completely put everything away in the truck and have to exit the back of the truck camper multiple times a day to get into the cab of the pickup truck and vise-versa.

I sold the that camper set up and bought a 1993 Airstream B190 van for 10k with 80k miles. It's only two wheel drive, but I drove it through Uwharrie National Forest roads in North Carolina, and around the Outer Banks. Of course you have to know what you're driving on with 2wd, but if you add a locker to the rear you would be golden for any regularly used park roads. The best part with the B190 (or any small class b type RV camper van) is that you have all the creature comforts of home. I full shower, toilet, oven, stove, couch, microwave, tv, queen size bed separate from the couch (over the cab) and BEST OF ALL, a passthrough between the living area and the cab of the vehicle. When weather is horrible, I can clean up everything in the camper while I'm still in my pajamas, then sit down in the driver chair and start driving to the next destination.

Also, the Ford E-series vans are easy to convert to 4x4 on your own or there are plenty of conversion companies out there. But I'd recommend leaving it 2wd, adding a small lift, and locking the rear.

Just food for thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier