Van vs. Truck Camper

Di0n

Ok I think we’ve decided that a 4x4 Pickup and a slide on Truck Camper is our best option. We really wanted a van because it’s all one space and were looking forward to fitting one out to suit our needs but in the end we decided 4x4 was a must have.

Can anyone tell me what the situation is with buying a truck and camper separately? I’ve read that the camper doesn’t need registering in BC but what happens if we want to cross the border and head down the coast? I believe Washington and Oregon both require the camper to be registered, does it matter if we’re just visiting?

Kyle Kelso

Adventurer
LWB, high roof Delica.

If going camper route you will no doubt be going with a solid camper for winter use so definitely go 3/4 or 1 ton. HD gas engine pickups depreciate fast so you should be able to find something very reliable if you don't spend too much on a camper.

Campers can be insured against theft or damage but I've never heard of it being a requirement or needing to be registered. Surely people travel through those states without it, might be required if you lived there maybe...

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

phsycle

Adventurer
Ok I think we've decided that a 4x4 Pickup and a slide on Truck Camper is our best option. We really wanted a van because it's all one space and were looking forward to fitting one out to suit our needs but in the end we decided 4x4 was a must have.

Can anyone tell me what the situation is with buying a truck and camper separately? I've read that the camper doesn't need registering in BC but what happens if we want to cross the border and head down the coast? I believe Washington and Oregon both require the camper to be registered, does it matter if we're just visiting?

There are states that require camper registrations, but only if you are a resident in that state. If you're visiting from another state, no registration is required. Same deal when you cross the border.

-
Good choice on the platform. It will get you to more places and at least provide some peace of mind when driving through inclement weather.

LukeD

Observer
There are states that require camper registrations, but only if you are a resident in that state. If you're visiting from another state, no registration is required. Same deal when you cross the border.

-
Good choice on the platform. It will get you to more places and at least provide some peace of mind when driving through inclement weather.

This is only for campers with an axle under them, does not apply for a slide in camper of any type

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Dion if you are in the Vancouver area this summer I will help you find a decent rig for low bucks.! Cheers, Chilli..:)

Di0n

Thanks for the replies. I’m glad that registration isn’t a problem. We have been looking at 2000-2010 Chevy and Ford 2500 trucks extended cab trucks. I’m don’t mind which brand we buy but are there any models we should avoid?

We have read that buying an older camber in the PNW is a bit risky due to leaks and frame rot but we’ll just have to look around and see what we can find.

Chilliwak thanks for the offer. We arriving this Sunday! Super excited!

Di0n

We've got our fingers and toes crossed that my current rig sells this weekend so that I have some more money to take with me, otherwise my brother is going to have to sort it out for me.
D32D6277-DC12-4FC3-A939-5A170A198C16.jpg

Di0n

Well we made a purchase. I’d like to thank redthies for all his help, he spent a lot of time researching and and explaining things to us and we couldn’t have done it without him.
C2AB0719-BC6B-433C-A790-D6E2816D2B4B.jpeg

Di0n

It’s a ‘93 F250, 7.3 IDI Diesel, Extended Cab, 4x4, with only 202,000km.
It’s already got the Dana 60 from an F350 in the front and has a fully rebuilt transmission.

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
It’s a ‘93 F250, 7.3 IDI Diesel, Extended Cab, 4x4, with only 202,000km.
It’s already got the Dana 60 from an F350 in the front and has a fully rebuilt transmission.
I'm guessing it's an auto trans? Otherwise, it's perfect. :p

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Haha yes it is, would have loved a manual but just couldn’t find one in the timeframe we had.

Same here. I wanted a diesel but could only find a gasser with a manual. After owning a crew cab and a single cab, I think the extra cab is the perfect body style. Welcome to the OBS club!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles