Toyota HZJ75 Expedition Troopy interior build

Paulpien

In August, my wife and I will be leaving on a year long world trip. The trip will take us from Holland to India, then we'll ship the car to Kenya and travel down the east coast to South Africa and finally ship the car back to Holland.

We recently bought a 1996 HZJ75 for the trip. Technically the car has been prepared by the previous owners, has a pop-top roof, but the interior is not up to our liking.

My idea is to rebuild the interior using the the handytube speedframe system and HPL panels

Currently the watertank is planned in the cabin, but I'm trying to work out if i can fit it under the car, would free up some space.

I've done some designing and would appreciate your input and feedback on my initial ideas.

Some random thoughts that pop to mind:
- how practical/livable is this layout? We plan to mainly live and cook outside, but want to be able to live and cook inside on rainy and cold days (where can it be optimised, what would you change, any practical tips)
- is the amount of storage space sufficient for two adults on a year long trip or do i need extra boxes on the roof (would prefer nothing on the roof)?
- should I only glue the panels to the flanged profiles or should i also rivet them? (they don't take any structural forces in the handytube system, but all the rattles and shakes due to bad roads?)
- electrical cabinet under the sink, dangerous mix?
- how to do you keep stuff organised in the large spaces under the bench? stuff sacks, boxes?
- what is a good location for a diesel webasto style heater?

Slide1.JPG

Looking forward to hearing all your good ideas and experience, please shoot!

regards Paul

Paulpien

Thanks for the tip, spent a few hours last night watching his channel, great practical stuff on there!

Must say that his builds are very focused on african style overlanding (living completely outside, so the inside it quite utilitarian). On our trip we'll encounter some bad weather stretches, so would like a comfortable/livable inside too.

Paulpien

Now that's an amazing car, love quality of the interior build, very professional! Hope I can achieve something similar.

I'll contact contact them and ask them for some feedback and say hi!

Paulpien

For those of you no on ih8mud, here a quick update of the build:

Old interior to be removed:
IMG_2984.JPG

Crusty windscreen frame to be welded:
IMG_2994.JPG

New flooring:
IMG_3172.JPG

Furniture build:
IMG_3176.JPG

Trial fit:
IMG_3210.JPG

Slatted bed frame fitted:
IMG_3211.JPG

Bed in the sleeping position:
IMG_3212.JPG

Bench and storage:
IMG_3268.JPG

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Nice work!

Are you using boxes or drawers?

What material are you using for the fronts?

Not sure what your gray water plans are but most builds are taking advantage of the space and going without but carry a bucket when needed.

I have used a slatted bed frame with an ExPed mattress in my poptop LC for years and have experience the best sleep ever.

Paulpien

Nice work!

Are you using boxes or drawers?

What material are you using for the fronts?

Not sure what your gray water plans are but most builds are taking advantage of the space and going without but carry a bucket when needed.

I have used a slatted bed frame with an ExPed mattress in my poptop LC for years and have experience the best sleep ever.

I've used hpl/trespa material, super strong for its thickness (3mm)

Using euronorm plastic boxes resting on profiles as drawers for the storage

Grey water... goes straight outside, a bucket is placed under it at campsites

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles