Question on Hinges

Wondering what types of hinge you guys would recommend for a very heavy duty trailer lid. Piano? Door? Something heavier duty? Thanks in advance.

Jmanscotch

is wandering
I like the ones RedM101A2 posted, similar to the route I went. Not sure which ones CampStewart linked to, website wouldn't load for me.

Here's what I went with for a lid that ended up being 250# (with the weight of the RTT factored in) and they worked great. I did three, not for weight concerns exactly, but more torsional rigidity. Two would potentially allow for twisting, three helps resist that.

I got mine off etrailer.com but don't see them listed now. They were like $20 each.

Jmanscotch

is wandering
Thanks guys. Went with Reds suggestion as my lid will be around 350. Jman, what are you using to prop that lid open?

I initially used two #250 gas struts from mcmaster.com. I had issues finding a strong enough way to mount the struts to the trailer as the over-the-counter shock mounts just weren't up to that kinda force. I don't have pictures (as I sold the trailer) but the gentleman that bought it ultimately ran a single #250 strut, attached via a homemade bracket made from angle iron and a 10MM ball mount drilled into each L bracket. He said it works good, lid was built stout enough to resist twisting from the singular strut.

For a #350 lid, I'd suggest two 175lb struts. Share that stress by distributing it across multiple points and save some money by not buying ultra height weight struts. I think I paid $70 for the two #250 struts. #175 ones should be $20-30 each from McMaster.

Search some and there is good information out there on calculators to determine where to place the struts for appropriate lift operation and function.

Search some and there is good information out there on calculators to determine where to place the struts for appropriate lift operation and function.

This was my next question. Excellent, thank you.

I ordered a 350lb strut and will give it a shot but will likely revert to dual struts. The lid is super stout so well see. My build thread will be updated shortly as the frame is largely done. Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94