Pregnant wife / camping shower / toilet recommendations...

So here’s the scenario. Planning a 10-14 day roadtrip this coming summer. We have a James Baroud Grand Raid RTT on top of my FJC. I also have the smaller Road Shower gen4 inbound that I’m going to mount to my roof rack. She basically has to use the restroom every 2-4 hours throughout the day/night. For much of the trip we will be able to use rest stops and gas stations when we stop. But for about 4-5 days we are going to be without running water and a bathroom... So here is what I’m looking for:

1) Recommendations on a good privacy shower/bathroom setup. Either side by side or 2 similar pop-ups we can use. Ease and quickness of setup is a big plus but not a deal breaker.

2) A recommendation for a toilet. I know what I used to do when I would go camping as a kid but the wife is having none of that so I need to find a solution. Has to be a no-mess setup and low/no odor when stored. Also we don’t want anything spilling when we are out wheeling.

For once I’m not too concerned with price more so I want her to be as comfortable as possible while on this road trip. Thank you for any input and advice!

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
When my wife was prego, I did not manage to get her to go camping... She said that the roof top tent ladder was too much three times at night. With the toilet, make sure you are getting one that is at least as tall as a regular one, as it is very hard to get up with a big belly.
Bring enough wet wipes and desinfecting wipes for the public washrooms... don't want your wife to get an infection while pregnant.

Cheers!

iowalr4

Adventurer
I don't have a ton of experience with this yet, but I am trying to build a camp shower setup that pleases my wife. She is not as interested in roughing it as me. I have used the giant "Epic Wipes" before and that does a decent job. But it is time for a real shower and our own facilities.

I considered many options, including the black roof rack tanks, but I couldn't guarantee results of temperature and water supply with that, plus I didn't want more weight up top. The L5 ended up being cheap and its not that large compared to any other option. I am still building my solution, but I have the components.

Eccotemp L5 water heater.
Oxygenics Fury RV shower head
KES K1140B3 Shower Head Shut-Off Valve
Flojet 2.9 GPM 50 PSI Water Pump
Cleanwaste Go Anywhere Portable Toilet
Ozark Trail 2-Room 7' x 3.5' Instant Shower/Utility Shelter
Lifegard Aquatics 1/2-Inch Standard Threaded Bulkhead . (and other fittings so I can have the shower hose go in one side, then have a hose inside the shower tent)

Plan is to have a mount/hanger from my roof rack on my LR4 for the water heater. Have a pump mount or something near it. Then it can pull water from a jerry can.

The two room tent is nice. Super fast and easy to setup and has two rooms. One for changing/toilet, and another zippered room with mesh around the outside floor for the shower.

I haven't used this setup at all yet, so I can't really say how well it will work. But the idea is a pretty cushy experience.

IMG_20180215_163901-X3.jpg

IMG_20180227_155433-X3.jpg

IMG_20180227_150120-X3.jpg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
LoL tip. Send the wife to a spa with the girls and you go camping. Your marriage will last longer. After the kid arrives then take em camping close to home.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I would actually suggest selling the RTT and buying a good ground tent and a pair of cots, this will reduce a lot of the headaches that you face now and more you will have in the future.

bigscarymonster

I'm going to sort of agree with CaliCamper here.

You probably want to change your plans around a little. Understand that your camping and adventuring days are probably going to continue for years and you don't have to do the exact trip you've planned this year. Instead, rework your route and find a way to not be away from running water for the better portion of a week. Try to stay at an established campground or go near a truck stop every couple of days so your wife can use a real shower with a big hot water tank. Just being able to use a real toilet and a real shower is going to make the trip bearable for her.

Remember, she's pregnant right now but she's going to be way more pregnant during the summer and her tolerance for dumb stuff you want to do will be much lower. The more you can do to improve her comfort, the better time both of you are going to have. Also, accept these two basic facts right now: 1. Your plans are going to change and you are going to have to make sacrifices during the trip; and 2. If Momma isn't happy, you're going to be even more unhappy.

For reference, my seven month pregnant wife and I took a week-long road/camping trip last summer and had a great time.

I would actually suggest selling the RTT and buying a good ground tent and a pair of cots, this will reduce a lot of the headaches that you face now and more you will have in the future.

I will second Jeep-N-Montero's suggestion. Go with a ground tent. You will have a lot more space, and it simplifies the restroom experience. My wife and I use a 10x10 foot tent. There is lots of extra space. We bring a Thetford p-pot inside for the night. It makes it so easy. No need to put on clothes/shoes because it's cold and windy outside, or climb (or fall) down a ladder. We don't even need a flashlight. You literally roll out of your bag, do your business, and roll back into the sack. We don't even wake each other up! Also, you can dump the p-pot in any toilet. If I were you, I'd go bigger on the tent size. Once the little one arrives, you're going to need all kinds of other stuff in the tent with you at night.

bigscarymonster

Just to be a little bit more of a kill-joy.

Depending on when this is during the summer, your wife may be really, really pregnant. You need to be close to some sort of medical facility. Things sometimes happen with pregnant women that need very quick medical attention and babies sometimes come early. You need to decide if the far-flung reaches of your trip are important enough to you to put either of them at jeopardy.

Sorry for my less fun replies.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Speaking from experience summer temps and pregnant wives do not go well together. I have two kids. And stopped there!

Haha okay thanks all for the replies. To be honest I offered to change up our plans a bit and do something else but she is insistent on wanting to go. So I'm just trying to find the best solutions to make her as comfortable as possible.

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
Is this your first? The only reason I ask is that my wife is a hardass and insisted that nothing would stop her (she continued going to kick boxing almost until the birth of our first). By number four, she was laid out at six months. I would accommodate her as best you can, but have a plan B you can roll out immediately (alternative route, nearby hotel, etc.). The wise man let's her have her way, but has a solid back up plan ready to go so it looks like her idea!

bigscarymonster

I agree with Factoid on this.

My wife is hard too. She did a twelve mile hike on the camping trip we did when she was seven months pregnant and she rode in the truck for days but... the second last night we stayed in a hotel instead of camping and the last night we decided to push through and get home instead of staying out.

Just make sure you've put yourselves in a position where you can change the plan and bail out if need be. Also, pay attention to the things she isn't telling you when you're on your trip. My wife would never actually tell me that she was having a hard time or she was uncomfortable because she doesn't want to ruin my time. As soon as you have an inkling that she's having a bad time (or on her way to it) you need to make some other plans without making her feel like the cause for it. Figure out a new route that lets you get to comfort or medical care if you need to and present it to her as a way to see some cool new stuff that you haven't seen before.

troutbum1

Road trip w/pregnant wife

I'd have to agree with the suggestions on making her the most comfortable you can while on the road. I'd plan a trip for state parks with flush toilets and real showers. You do all the cooking/cleaning as well to let her relax and enjoy the trip. This should set her up for camping in the future. She may say that's too much but she'll thank you in the long run. And getting a tent with two nice cots as mentioned will help during this time frame. No need for a porta potty on this trip....just help her get to the restrooms and you can always add the porta potty, etc. in the future. Hang onto the tent as the little one will use it down the road when he brings a friend or two along when he's older and wants his own space with the both of you close by to enjoy your own setup. Just speaking from experience with two that are 8 months apart.

Thanks so much for all the great advice so far! Yea the plan is to stage the vehicle at her families house in Dallas then take a couple days driving out to Flagstaff for ExpoWest. Spend the weekend there and then do some camping up in the Grand Canyon for a few days before driving back to Dallas. So the only time I plan on being away from showers and bathrooms is at expowest pretty much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94